Customer Service 866.965.0400

Polisher settings

Boosted

Question

Just got my Adam’s goodies last week and I’m trying to work out the speeds I should use for my polisher.

I’ve got a Ryobi 750W Random Orbital Sander Polisher http://www.ryobi.co.nz/Products/PowerTools/Corded/Sanders/ERO750VK.aspx which uses letters instead of numbers for the speed. A to F compared to 1 to 6 for the PC. The PC XP operates from 2500 to 6800opm’s, the Ryobi 4000 to 7000opm’s.

According to the ‘Junkman’s Paint Correction’ videos, set PC to ‘5’ for SHR and FMP and ‘3’ for FMW. Am I correct in saying that ‘5’ will have a speed of about 6000opm’s? 6800 – 2500 = 4300. 4300 / 6 = 716opms. So 5 x 716 = 6000opms. From that I should set the Ryobi to ‘D’ for SHR and FMP and ‘A’ for FMW maybe ‘B’

Also the Adam’s pads seems to be a snug / tight fit with the factory backing plate. Fits evenly and doesn’t move. Takes a few attempts to get it right, I might need a bit of practice :glasses:

Almost forgot, love the smell. Can't wait to see how the car smells afterwards.

14 answers to this question

I would think you got to be close. But here's the thing, those settings for the PC are not the bible. They are just a good starting point. If you need to tweak a little for better performance, you can. With that being said, I think you're on the right track.

Go with a setting of E for SHR and FMP. I understand your math but that only works if the sliding scale is straight. For all we know it could be curved (like a dyno sheet). Thus, use a setting of E and make sure that you don't overwork the polish during paint correction. A setting of C is fine for spreading MSW.

I would think you got to be close. But here's the thing, those settings for the PC are not the bible. They are just a good starting point. If you need to tweak a little for better performance, you can. With that being said, I think you're on the right track.

Actually, the settings I use are the bible for the technique that I use. Thus, it depends on who technique you are using as to whether the settings are set in stone.

You're thinking way to formulaic... the machines orbit diameter is different, it also looks to have forced rotation making it more similar to the makita B06040.

The speeds outlined in Junkmans or Adam's videos are not directly applied to a machine of this type as you won't have the ability to apply the same downward pressure without the machine walking you all over the place.

Essentially you have a very different machine there from what you are using for your instructional basis so you'll need to adjust the approach accordingly.

You're thinking way to formulaic... the machines orbit diameter is different, it also looks to have forced rotation making it more similar to the makita B06040.

The speeds outlined in Junkmans or Adam's videos are not directly applied to a machine of this type as you won't have the ability to apply the same downward pressure without the machine walking you all over the place.

Essentially you have a very different machine there from what you are using for your instructional basis so you'll need to adjust the approach accordingly.

Where are you getting the information as to that machine having forced rotation? With only 200 OPM's more than the PC, I don't see much difference when comparing the two.

Where are you getting the information as to that machine having forced rotation? With only 200 OPM's more than the PC, I don't see much difference when comparing the two.

Fixed backing plate, dust collector, and the US equivalent is an RO not DA.

Not to mention the throw is only 3.5mm versus the 5.5+mm of the Makita, 8mm on the flex, or 5/16" (7.9mm) of the PC... with that short of throw the technique will be entirely changed. You're talking about a throw of less than half of the accepted standards!

Cheers guys. I looked at the PC, but at over $400NZ + $80 for a heavy duty 10amp extension lead. I couldn’t justify the price. Especially after spending over $300 on Meg’s and then finding Adam’s and spending another $260. Luckily my father won a grinder at golf and I was able to swap it for the Ryobi – got to detail his car for it. He said if I do a good job I can keep doing it:(

I’ll use the boot deck to check my technique. The motor is rated at 750w, does this have any bearing on how much speed or pressure I use? Does the orbit size have a dramatic bearing on the result?

The backing plate is interchangeable – not sure about the counter weight. Thought I would try it before getting the Adam’s part. The dust collector is removable. Saw a picture of Alan (NZ distributor) using one. I believe he is at SEMA so can’t contact him. He said he was coming up to Auckland around the middle of this month and said he would like to catch up.

I thought I might have a go first and get rid of most of the swirls etc. It has never been clayed from new (2yrs old) and is parked outside all day every day. I get pollen caked on it and large sea gulls love the house roof, I can get 10 large bird droppings on it if they take off heading north. Even had one land on the middle of the rear seat, wind must have caught it:mad: Might get a car cover.

AJ I had a look at your company website, you must have a lot of spare time:jester: I’m in IT as well, my back ground is in data communications. Started off as a Computer operator (IBM 4381’s, JCL programming) Network engineer (X.25) and now Cisco and Checkpoint. Recertifying my CCNP at present and looking at CCIE next year – got to find a company to pay for it:D (about $10K NZD) we can sit the written in NZ but the Lab exam is in Sydney. Got made redundant from Gen-i (http://www.gen-i.co.nz/Pages/Gen-iHomePage.aspx) back in July so have plenty of time on my hands at present.

Cheers Rick :pc:

The equivelant to the PC where you are would be the DAS-6. You'll find it much cheaper than the PC but pretty much the exact same machine. Personally, the one you have looks like it will work. I was looking for one over here but they are not sold in the US. I'd like to get my hands on one just to see if the differences really matter.

Yep, life in the IT field is sweet right now. I can do a lot of repairs remotely while still in my undies. :D That does leave me plenty of free time and I love not having to go out in the snow during the winter. :thumbsup:

I saw the DAS-6 a while back for $260 + gst on special. Thought about it for awhile then saw Alan was selling the Ryobi. Luckily I had a chance to swap the grinder:) Next time Alan is up, he may be able to demo it, just need at power converter.

I know what you mean about the undies, I could VPN into work from home:D I spent most of the day visiting clients. Got to hate those tight car parks - got little dings and paint scratches. You couldn't find one of your large cars in our parks.

The DAS-6 is already 220V so you don't need a converter. That's why they sell them in your neck of the woods. If Alan is using the one you have, definitely keep it. He knows plenty about this stuff and I would highly advise you taking his recommendations. :thumbsup:

Cheers AJ:) meant Alan could demo the Ryobi if you wanted to see it. Saw some pics of the cars he has worked on - wow:2thumbs:

Has Adam bought your ticket yet:D If you wait until winter your hands might freeze to the PC:jester:

Any more videos coming out? Hope you don't mind, I downloaded them via Youtube and made a DVD for easy reference. Try devede, it can convert most formats to DVD, AVI etc. Has a link for the M$ version if you don't use linux and is FREE.

http://www.rastersoft.com/programas/devede.html

Cheers Rick.

Cheers AJ:) meant Alan could demo the Ryobi if you wanted to see it. Saw some pics of the cars he has worked on - wow:2thumbs:

Has Adam bought your ticket yet:D If you wait until winter your hands might freeze to the PC:jester:

Any more videos coming out? Hope you don't mind, I downloaded them via Youtube and made a DVD for easy reference. Try devede, it can convert most formats to DVD, AVI etc. Has a link for the M$ version if you don't use linux and is FREE.

http://www.rastersoft.com/programas/devede.html

Cheers Rick.

No problem Rick, download all you like. I use a Firefox plugin called Download Video Helper to download videos off You Tube. It's a one click deal that allows me to download the various formats. I'll check out the one you use. Thanks!

I'm working on 3 different videos right now. Stay tuned! :thumbsup:

No problem Rick, download all you like. I use a Firefox plugin called Download Video Helper to download videos off You Tube. It's a one click deal that allows me to download the various formats. I'll check out the one you use. Thanks!

I'm working on 3 different videos right now. Stay tuned! :thumbsup:

Try the kiss technique:D

Add 'kiss' between www. and youtube eg http://www.kissyoutube.com

If it's your first-time, a warning box may pop-up - just select "Run" to continue. This is perfectly safe and will not install software. A list of download links will appear. Right-click on the format you want and select "Save As..." to start your download. Then use devede to change format if needed.

Rick

Just tried 'Download Video Helper' :2thumbs:

Also try tversity http://tversity.com/ you can stream videos etc to your TV via your Xbox360, Playstation3 etc. You can see AJ on your large screen TV:D Did I mention it's FREE

Archived