Customer Service 866.965.0400

To answer Dylans how much dust question.SSR/Flex

jpu471

Question

For all you guys expriencing dusting issues, two questions. What speed do you have the polisher set for and how much polish per application are you using? You can post the speed you're using but put some polish on the pad and take a picture of it. I would like to see how much polish you are using per application. A video of you showing all this plus a shot of you using the polisher would really be ideal.

Just to throw in my findings as I was an early heavy duster I noticed I'll get dust (as Dylan says) if the edges of the pad don't stay flat on the surface. If you go over a contour I'll see dust start flying. Also will see dust if the edge of the pad hits a corner or badge as it scrapes off the dry stuff on the edge of the pad. And lastly i noticed a change in dusting when I over worked the product. For me if I worked it too long it got to a point where it got hard and very dry. Now that I pay more attention to the flash and change in appearance and essentially work it shorter then I had been it keeps a more moist consistency and doesn't have any chance to flake or dry and dust up.

Just my .02

Just to throw in my findings as I was an early heavy duster I noticed I'll get dust (as Dylan says) if the edges of the pad don't stay flat on the surface. If you go over a contour I'll see dust start flying. Also will see dust if the edge of the pad hits a corner or badge as it scrapes off the dry stuff on the edge of the pad. And lastly i noticed a change in dusting when I over worked the product. For me if I worked it too long it got to a point where it got hard and very dry. Now that I pay more attention to the flash and change in appearance and essentially work it shorter then I had been it keeps a more moist consistency and doesn't have any chance to flake or dry and dust up.

Just my .02

Very good .02 as those are common reasons to have dusting.

I have had dusting with the PC set at 5, but that was the first couple of times I used the PC. Now I don't have issues with the PC. The first time I used SSR was with a brand new Flex on a Corvette hood. I had three things not going in my favor. 1) a polish that I have never used. 2) A machine that I have never used. 3) A not-so-flat hood to work on. I had the Flex on a 5 setting and used a "X" pattern of polish on the pad. I thought I kept the pad pretty flat and I know I didn't over work the SSR. The dusting I got seemed to be more than I thought I should get, but it was the first time using SSR and I really didn't know what to expect. Did that make sense? Probably not. When I followed with the SHR and FMP I did not have any dusting. The problem I had with those was that I didn't apply enough polish to the pad. I learned that the Flex pads do need more polish than the PC. Once you have enough polish on the pad, a shot of DS keeps them wet.

Practice makes perfect.

Dylan, i have almost your whole lineup of Adams products, and i love them all, i like to try new things and the ssr was new and wanted to give it a shot,but after reading the thread if the product is going to create more work for me i think ill pass. im not sure of why the people are having the issues there having? ill probally get the new flex pads those look great. So how much dusting to you get when you use the ssr? thanks.

Honestly, I don't get anymore dusting from SSR than I do with any comparable polish that is silicone free. Some dust is to be expected with a product that utilizes larger abrasive particles and no silicone carriers...

I don't have any pictures to show, but I can (in any case where I do use SSR) simply blow what little dust there is away with the blaster.

Dusting is a result of a few things, the product can be prone to it, but 'problematic' dusting is the result of technique (too much product, polishing across edges, raised surfaces, etc)

My dusting wasn't that bad and I only had it with the SSR. Chris may have hit on something with the pads drying out faster. It makes sense. You may have to use more DS on the pad. I want to try my Flex again this weekend, but I don't think it will happen because we're supposed to get up to 6" of that white stuff.

6" Thats a little more than dusting!:lolsmack:

My dusting wasn't that bad and I only had it with the SSR. Chris may have hit on something with the pads drying out faster. It makes sense. You may have to use more DS on the pad. I want to try my Flex again this weekend, but I don't think it will happen because we're supposed to get up to 6" of that white stuff.

Are you keeping the pad flush with the panels? Are you polishing across a body line, raised edge or a surface thats more than just a gradual curve?

Even SSR, being a tad dustier than SHR/FMP, won't throw dust everywhere unless its given the opportunity to do so, and that opportunity comes with the face of the pad losing contact with the paint which gives the polish residue somewhere to escape.

One other thing.... old product! Unless an area is stripped first the pad is abrading away old wax, glaze, sealant and throwing it out (or caking it into the pad) did you wash, clay, strip the area first?

Archived