Customer Service 866.965.0400

Scatches in Real Chrome

Awesome_SS

Question

I have some chrome parts on my engine and engine components. Some have scratches that are not deep, but visible when looking up close, especially visible outside in the sunlight. I tried Adam's Metal Polish #1, but I think I need something a little more abrasive to remove them. I spent some time working the polish, but it is not making any improvement.

Any suggestions on type of polish and any procedures that have worked for you would be appreciated. Thanks.

First off, that's the shiniest NSX engine on earth! Super amazing:jawdrop:

Getting scratches out of chrome is not easy, as chrome itself is incredibly durable, hard, unlike aluminum, stainless, or other metal finishes.

It takes a bit more than metal polish to get scratches out of chrome, and in many instances, unfortunately, re-plating is necessary. After completing the restoration of our 1962 Corvette, we ended up re-plating every piece of chrome on the car. After that, we actually re re-plated several pieces that were scratched during the build of the car.

The company that makes all of the above is Caswell Plating. Here is a kit that I would recommend: http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/chrpolkit.htm

If you buy and use it, I will give you a $50 gift certificate for posting before and after photos, as well as a report on the experience!

:2thumbs:

There ARE differing qualities of chrome out there too. Flat pieces are the worst for showing off all the scratches just like paint on a car.

IMO, if chrome is treated like it's paint, you should have NO issues with it.

Very generous offer Adam! Just to clarify. The offer is for arfnsx or both of us? Either way, it is still a very generous offer.

First off, that's the shiniest NSX engine on earth! Super amazing:jawdrop:

Getting scratches out of chrome is not easy, as chrome itself is incredibly durable, hard, unlike aluminum, stainless, or other metal finishes.

It takes a bit more than metal polish to get scratches out of chrome, and in many instances, unfortunately, re-plating is necessary. After completing the restoration of our 1962 Corvette, we ended up re-plating every piece of chrome on the car. After that, we actually re re-plated several pieces that were scratched during the build of the car.

The company that makes all of the above is Caswell Plating. Here is a kit that I would recommend: http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/chrpolkit.htm

If you buy and use it, I will give you a $50 gift certificate for posting before and after photos, as well as a report on the experience!

:2thumbs:

How's this, I will make the offer valid to both of you, as long as you order, get, use, and post the before, during, and after photographs before January 31, 2011.

Since you are attacking different types of chrome pieces, both of your write-ups will be very interesting, and valuable.

Good plan?

Caswell is a USA made product supplier as well, and if I had some chrome with scratches, I'd do the write-up myself! Fortunately, or unfortunately, all of the chrome in my world has been re-plated recently, and the old chrome on my bicycles doesn't seem too scratched up.

Thanks for doing this, and it's a win-win from my perspective!

:patriot:

How's this, I will make the offer valid to both of you, as long as you order, get, use, and post the before, during, and after photographs before January 31, 2011.

Since you are attacking different types of chrome pieces, both of your write-ups will be very interesting, and valuable.

Good plan?

Caswell is a USA made product supplier as well, and if I had some chrome with scratches, I'd do the write-up myself! Fortunately, or unfortunately, all of the chrome in my world has been re-plated recently, and the old chrome on my bicycles doesn't seem too scratched up.

You can borrow my chrome wheels! I'm over 30 fo real but I got chrome on the wheels!

LOL

I'd take this Old Spice Challenge, but, I don't have the time right now!

:bow:. Wasn't expecting that. Again, very generous of you. You are and will always be top notch in my book! Just ordered the kit, should arrive in a week. Can't wait to see what happens and post the results. I have chrome rims on order for my car, so I am sure the kit will come in handy later for the unforeseen.

Good plan?

Archived