Customer Service 866.965.0400

Photography Advice

ChevyMan23

Well folks, it looks like I am leaving for Italy on Feb.19th for 2 weeks, for work. I am super excited!, I can't wait. Flying first class and everything. I will have a couple of days at the end of the 2 weeks to sightsee, and I really want to take some amazing pictures. I have a Nikon D40 with a 24-120 lens. It came with it when I bought, and its the only lens I have for now. I've been doing some reading, but I was wondering if any of you guys have any tips for me? TIA

Well folks, it looks like I am leaving for Italy on Feb.19th for 2 weeks, for work. I am super excited!, I can't wait. Flying first class and everything. I will have a couple of days at the end of the 2 weeks to sightsee, and I really want to take some amazing pictures. I have a Nikon D40 with a 24-120 lens. It came with it when I bought, and its the only lens I have for now. I've been doing some reading, but I was wondering if any of you guys have any tips for me? TIA

That's a nice lens IMO. An 18-200 would be nice, but they're very pricey. I currently have an 18-55 and a 70-300 and they work OK for me.

I'd love a fish eye someday but they're VERY VERY VERY pricey.

Check out a site called Photocamel for more tech help.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

Dylan is man when it comes to cameras so I'm sure he can help.

On a side note - Chris, how do you like 3100 so far?

It's great! It has a ton of features for such an entry level camera. It's everything I need as a person using it around the house and such. I use it in manual mode but I let my wife use it in auto. It's just easier. I shoot in Raw and Fine jpeg. Just depends on what I'm using the photos for.

I bought the book Dylan recommended and it's very in-depth. Almost too much so for me. I'm not looking to make this a hobby. Just take pics of the family and such. It's still a good read for those very interested in photography. A bit boring for those not. lol

My advice is less specific. Get a camera that operates on batteries that you can buy at a store, so you don't have to worry about charging the batteries when they die and you need them most.

Get a HUGE memory card. My 4 gig card doesn't seem like enough somedays. :-)

Good point on the batteries, but with that specific camera-battery you should have no need to recharge if you are only taking a couple of days worth of sightseeing. But if you have an extra one charge that and bring it too :thumbsup:

But most of all just worry about having fun, I've gone places and stressed out so much about the pictures that I forgot to have fun :willy:

Use A mode for things standing still and S mode for anything moving. Just get the D40 for Dummies book and read it while flying, you will be fine :cheers:

I shot all 4 days of the GNRS (over 600 images in total) with my Nikon stock battery pack... just clicked it on again and the battery is at 80+%... unless you're going to be trekking thru the wilderness for month with no power the battery discussion is often times over-done.

While its nice in a pinch or if you forget to charge the packs on most DSLR's I've ever used last a full week or more of heavy all day shooting. They get even more life if you run a separate flash (which runs on its own battery power - my SB600 takes 3 standard AA)

I get where non-camera specific batteries have an appeal, but as long as you charge up before going on a trip the odds are you'll never have a need for 'new' batteries... not to mention theres no added cost. Buying batteries is expensive!

Yea, theres no problem with the battery on the 40. Dylan, thanks for the tip on the book, I'm gonna look for it tonight at BooksAMillion, I'll also look for that D40 for Dummies too. I'll have plenty of time to read, a good 13 hours of flying.

Sounds like a good plan... that understanding exposure book really helps dumb down what the different things do, how they impact a picture, and how to use them in certain situations. Its probably the single most helpful thing that I've read.

If you have a laptop or portable DVD player to take with you, the company Blue Crane puts out some relatively inexpensive DVD's as well that are great learning tools for specific cameras.

http://bluecranedigital.com/Introduction-to-the-Nikon-D40-D40x

I've been using aperture and I really like it. For making pictures pop, it rocks. If you want to superimpose stuff or add layers, then PS is your best bet.

I couldnt find a D40 Specific book, I got Digital DSLR for Dummies, and the Understanding Exposure book. I used to have PS but a computer crash took care of that. Dont really wanna fork over the cash for it either. Any other ideas?

Aperture! Not sure they have it for MS though.

Heads up on the book Dylan posted, there's a newer edition of it here.

They also have it for kindle. Reading it on a kindle would suck since the pictures can't be displayed properly, but I'm wondering if the ebook contains the full color images for reading it in the kindle app on my ipad and mac.

They also have it for kindle. Reading it on a kindle would suck since the pictures can't be displayed properly, but I'm wondering if the ebook contains the full color images for reading it in the kindle app on my ipad and mac.

That's the edition I picked up lastnight, I love it so far.

I have it on my iPad! Here's an image from it.

ad1603f6-1abf-ec0b.jpg

Archived