Customer Service 866.965.0400

Simoniz GlassCoat

DGM

Question

Greetings,

I am a newbie. This is my first post so please be gentle. My life partner just purchased a 2010 Dark Gray Metallic Subaru Forester. The vehicle has 9600 miles on the OD and the finish appears to be in very good condition. Because we live only three blocks from the Pacific Ocean and the vehicle will be parked outside, the Subaru dealer convinced her to have them apply Simoniz GlassCoat. The dealer said that she/we would not have to wax the Forester for years and years. Knowing nothing about GlassCoat I checked the Simoniz website were I discovered that Simoniz said that one could wax over GlassCoat if one so desired. Given that the vehicle will be exposed to "salt air", 365 days a year, my sense is that it might be prudent for us apply additional protection, such as Buttery or Americana wax. I would greatly appreciate any advice as to whether we should/could use Adam's products to further enhance/protect the finish on our "new" Forester.

Cheers,

Deral

I had this product applied at the dealer I bought my car from in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. It cost $400.00 for the interior and exterior to be done. The Simoniz Glasscoat on the paint works great and I have not see a failure to date. This stuff is a ceramic resin; it is not a wax or polish.

This spring of 2012 I had some rail dust on the sides of my Tri-Coat White 2011 Subaru Outback. I was able to easily remove this 'rail dust' with some orange/citrus cleaner and a micro fiber cloth and it was gone. No buffing, clay barring, scrubbing or other back breaking work. The Simoniz Glasscoat protected the paint from damage from rail dust pitting or staining. There is no evidence it was ever on there. I can say that every car/truck I have buffed over the years that have rail dust on them do not come off this easy (EVER).

I was at first skeptical about this product but wanted to give it a fair shot. I have been an Auto Body painter (holding numerous paint and manufacturer certifications)for 22+ years so I have seen just about every paint defect, paint issue, and paint product out there to protect or revitalize paint. I figured with the 7 year warranty how could I go wrong.

I do still put a very like synthetic spray wax on every so often, which you can over this product. I did have some bird dropping on the paint that baked on over 3 days in the sun and after getting that off I did see a light outline of the poo. I took some light compound and gently rubbed it and it came right out. I put some Wizards polish and sealant over it and it is as good as new.

Simoniz Glasscoat works but I would not pay over $400.00 to have it done on the interior or exterior of the vehicle. I know others that have stained interior parts and the stains have come out.

For the cost $400.00 over 7 years you are only talking about $57.00 a year for this level of paint protection. I think that the cost is dirt cheap since I cannot go and buy product and spend time putting a good top rated wax on a car every year for $57.00. My time is money.....

Take it from an ASE Master Certifed Auto Body Technician, I-Car Certified, General Motors (GM) Certified Refinisher and numerous other painter manufacturers paint certifications (PPG, Sikkens, DuPont, BASF). I know my stuff about paint.

Welcome Jason!

You've brought an older thread back from the dead!

How did you find it on a forum meant for people who spend time detailing their cars? Seems a little strange joining a forum like this when you state that you don't have time to put a top rated wax on your car.

Adam's Americana Paste Wax is a premium product that will cost you $50 and that tub will last you more than a year easily. I would highly recommend taking the time to research this great American Company and give their products a shot.

I do still put a very like synthetic spray wax on every so often, which you can over this product. I did have some bird dropping on the paint that baked on over 3 days in the sun and after getting that off I did see a light outline of the poo. I took some light compound and gently rubbed it and it came right out. I put some Wizards polish and sealant over it and it is as good as new.

This is where the simoniz product protection loses all credibility with me. You claim all these great things but they you DO put more protection on throughout the year.

If it's as good as they say (which I truly believe it not to be) then you wouldn't have to do this. Plus, how can you believe that after you use a compound to remove the etching caused by the bird poo that ANY of the simoniz product is still on the paint? You of all people should know that you remove it when you use the compound. Unless you truly believe that this miracle product actually becomes one with the paint and permanently (permanently in a way that lasts or remains unchanged indefinitely) bonds to the paint.

Edited by Chewy

I can see why this would be threatening to sealant/wax vendors.... but I would submit each has its place depending on the goal one is trying to achieve... I can see coatings like this making inroads for DDs or other applications where longevity is the primary goal... think large fleets of trucks etc that one may be resource bound for waxing or even sealant application...

Of course real life testing and experience with these products would be useful in order to make an intelligent review of said product.

I had expressed interest to Dylan regarding products that would compete with this one, and understand his response relative to why Adams may not want to offer such a product, which is havign to deal with clients that may not apply the coating correctly! (And the business mind iin me says it might result in a reduction in wax/sealant sales).

Happy detailing,

Mike

Go to the internet and search "Modern Marvels Glasscost" for actual documented information on Glasscoat.

You can ask the car dealer for $200.00 off the glasscoat price.

If they won't lower the price for the product they'll usually lower the price of the car by that amount.

Don't be afraid to ask.

The warranty is usually 7 years although some offer life time. It also includes interior protection, usually Scotchguard in the price.

Never had to make a claim yet, so I can't say how hard it is to use it.

The warranty is not from Simonize. It's usually by an independent insurer such as Zurich.

Hope this helps.