Customer Service 866.965.0400

claying off rail dust

BillB

Question

So I decided to hand wash and clay (only ended up claying the tailgate) the truck yesterday for the first time in about 4 months :(

I did it with some clay that I picked up from Autozone because I have yet to order my Adams stuff... anyways, I believe what I have is rail dust on the truck and my question is, how much effort goes in to actually getting this stuff off. I was putting a good bit of elbow into getting this crap off and I just want to make sure I am not just damaging my clear/paint worse. I made sure I kept the paint well lubed at all times but flattening the bar and rubbing it across lightly just wouldn't pick up the dust... I actually had to ball it up and almost scrub at it while I was spraying. Any input would be greatly appreciated :2thumbs:

Bill, in the Vol. 7 video Adam says that truck tailgates or flat backed cars (Corvettes) will need to be clayed more often then the rest of the vehicle. It's do to the areodynamics of the vehicle. That is the reason why Chewy said that. He is dead-on. Get it debris free and put a couple layers of wax on it.

The tail gate is the WORST part of the truck for it. I know what you have, as all my vehicles get it. It takes quite a bit of work with clay, but it's not usually as hard as you say. I of course always have many coats of Adams wax on mine, so that may make it easier for me.

I would purchase some Fine Machine Polish or Revive and use that to get rid of the rust marks left behind by the metal particles that the clay is removing from the surface.

Clay IS abrasive and can leave micro hazing behind, but it's nothing that FMP or SHR can't remove.

Make sure you're pulling, folding, and kneading the clay constantly. Those particles of metal get in the clay and can cause issues.

I use moderate pressure and A LOT of DS when claying. Too much and it'll scratch.

Chris

The gate was TERRIBLE!! I didn't care much if I screwed it up because that could be a good reason to have the handle and spoiler shaved haha! I didn't feel confident enough to go over the rest of the truck with as much scrubbing as I had to do

Ahh I need to order my stuff from Adams but I am afraid of what my bill is gonna be :lol:

I'm not an expert, by any stretch, but my experience with clay, prior to using Adam's products is that you can do some serious damage to the paint if you grind away at it. You can cause marring, blemishes and worse yet, scratches that will be a bear to remove by polishing. Although Junkman advocates using firm pressure, Adams videos say to "gently" wipe and rewipe the area with the clay using DS. If you are not removing the roughness, the paint may have imbedded dirt (bad paint job). Good question! I'm anxious to here from the experts.

The tail gate is the WORST part of the truck for it. I know what you have, as all my vehicles get it. It takes quite a bit of work with clay, but it's not usually as hard as you say. I of course always have many coats of Adams wax on mine, so that may make it easier for me.

I would purchase some Fine Machine Polish or Revive and use that to get rid of the rust marks left behind by the metal particles that the clay is removing from the surface.

Clay IS abrasive and can leave micro hazing behind, but it's nothing that FMP or SHR can't remove.

Make sure you're pulling, folding, and kneading the clay constantly. Those particles of metal get in the clay and can cause issues.

I use moderate pressure and A LOT of DS when claying. Too much and it'll scratch.

Chris

Archived