Customer Service 866.965.0400

claying off rail dust

BillB

Question

So I decided to hand wash and clay (only ended up claying the tailgate) the truck yesterday for the first time in about 4 months :(

I did it with some clay that I picked up from Autozone because I have yet to order my Adams stuff... anyways, I believe what I have is rail dust on the truck and my question is, how much effort goes in to actually getting this stuff off. I was putting a good bit of elbow into getting this crap off and I just want to make sure I am not just damaging my clear/paint worse. I made sure I kept the paint well lubed at all times but flattening the bar and rubbing it across lightly just wouldn't pick up the dust... I actually had to ball it up and almost scrub at it while I was spraying. Any input would be greatly appreciated :2thumbs:

Hmm, I will be sure to keep doing the baggie test while claying.

Doug, you say you do the wiping method instead of the type of scrubbing method I was doing... what if the rail dust doesn't come off?

It will... I have a white P/U truck too. It's a PITA.

Like I said above, get the surface contaminates (metal) off with the clay and use a polish like Fine Machine Polish or Revive to remove the rust from the surface.

Ok, just so everyone knows. We call it rail dust even when it's not really rail dust all the time. What I think I am seeing on my cars is probably from several things, With the mass amount being from the brakes of my car and others. Rail dust is more apparent when you first get your car. Not when it's two years old. lol

Chris

Thanks for the compliments and feedback everyone

Bill, Why don't you come to Grabiak, so you can see in person

(claying)!:thumbsup:

Grabiak Event Confirmed for April 30, 2011

Wow, thanks for the heads up Chris... I won't be able to make the Thompson clinic with work but I will definitely be at this one... this is only about an hour from my house :) :)

Can someone please inform me what "rail dust" is ???

Most vehicles are transported by train at some point prior to getting to a dealership. And they sit at rail stations. That "dust" in the air is full of metal filings from the rails :thumbsup:

Can someone please inform me what "rail dust" is ???

Iron contaminates that settle on the paint and eventually make rust spots. When the dew hits them they will rust and almost fuse themselves into the paint.

Down here in Houston I have a rail yard and a huge steel recycler yard within 1/4 mile. It's a brutal area on paint.

I have no excuse... my truck saw salt maybe 10 times this winter as I commute with my wife. I was simply lazy and didn't wax before winter and hit the touchless washes, this will not be happening again next winter.

I have 2 coats of MSW and coat of Americana on top of that and I too am having a nasty time with the rail dust.. well that and dropping and ruining a brand new clay bar :mad::mad: But the wax is helping. Best of luck!

What Doug said... The rust is just left over from the contaminate. When my truck was my DD it was COVERED in them. This was L-O-N-G before Adams... Heck, this was before ADAMS existed... lol

If you have clayed the finish and the baggie test shows that it is perfectly smooth, you can polish away. On a freshly washed and stripped finish, of course! :) (Might as well give yourself every advantage.)

It will... I have a white P/U truck too. It's a PITA.

Like I said above, get the surface contaminates (metal) off with the clay and use a polish like Fine Machine Polish or Revive to remove the rust from the surface.

Oh ok, so the fact that there might still be little tiny spots of rust in the clear shouldn't harm polishing as long as the contaminates are gone... then I can just polish out the remaining orange dots?

Do the baggie test on your finish before and during claying to make sure you've gotten it all off. I am rigorous in this way (baggie testing all the time during claying) so that when I break out the polisher, that finish is clean clean clean. I don't want to have any foreign particles on the finish when I start polishing. The first claying is the worst, it will get better when you start claying several times a year, and YES the back end of trucks, vans, vettes get filthy. And I also am a person who 'wipes' the paint with the clay. I don't lean on it, so I don't have to take out extra marring with the polisher.

Also, when it is a really rough area (baggie test makes you wince) fold the clay OFTEN to keep a clean clay surface on the paint.

Hmm, I will be sure to keep doing the baggie test while claying.

Doug, you say you do the wiping method instead of the type of scrubbing method I was doing... what if the rail dust doesn't come off? (or have you never had a problem with getting it off)

Perhaps the clay bar had something to do with it... it was some Meguiars :putsonflameretardantsuit:

Do the baggie test on your finish before and during claying to make sure you've gotten it all off. I am rigorous in this way (baggie testing all the time during claying) so that when I break out the polisher, that finish is clean clean clean. I don't want to have any foreign particles on the finish when I start polishing. The first claying is the worst, it will get better when you start claying several times a year, and YES the back end of trucks, vans, vettes get filthy. And I also am a person who 'wipes' the paint with the clay. I don't lean on it, so I don't have to take out extra marring with the polisher.

Also, when it is a really rough area (baggie test makes you wince) fold the clay OFTEN to keep a clean clay surface on the paint.

Nice truck! White shows rail dust the worst!:mad:

Thanks Chris.

This is my first light colored vehicle... so my reaction to seeing them start to form was pretty shocked, needless to say I was relieved when I read other ppl have the same problem lol. Know about it now it would really scare me to have something red cause it would probably be pretty difficult to see whether you got it all before you polish :eek:

I have no excuse... my truck saw salt maybe 10 times this winter as I commute with my wife. I was simply lazy and didn't wax before winter and hit the touchless washes, this will not be happening again next winter.

I spent an hour saturday doing a bedside, it was nice outside so I just clayed away to remove it all. Then I polished, waxed, and glazed which took another hour because my backing plate needs to be replaced so I couldnt use a 5.5" pad, I ended up doing the bedside with my 4" focal :lol:

I did a test this winter... I washed my vehicle within two days after EVERY snow storm. I used the manual spray bays at my local coin-op (debit card for me). I spent 10 bucks every time I went and made sure to get the trouble spots VERY well. The worst spots on any of my vehicles has always been behind each wheel, and the back of the vehicle.

10 bucks equates to about 13-15 minutes of wash time. That doesn't seem like a lot, but when you work fast and diligent, it is.

I spent the weekend cleaning and correcting my car. I was AMAZED how much cleaner the car was this year. AMAZED!!! It took MUCH less effort to get it back to it's beauty once again.

So... Any of you living in the Salt/rust belt, wash your vehicle VERY VERY well within a day or two of the snow fall and your spring cleaning will be MUCH easier.

Oh and remember... DO NOT TOUCH THE PAINT!!!

Archived