Customer Service 866.965.0400

Metal Polish to remove scratches

fiveoh

Question

My exhaust tips are all scratched up(see pic).

10h7rix.jpg

Will MP #1 get rid of these? If not is there anything I can use?

Also I've been using the wheel and tire brush for the exhaust tips, is this a no no and causing these scratches? I'm not sure if I did it or the dealer did.

15 answers to this question

Its possible that the Wheel and tire Brush is causing the scratchs. Are you using the hard brissol brush or soft? To clean my tips, for I spray them down with APC and use a utility rag to clean them. if there still dirty, i use eagle one nevr dull. then I follow with MP1 and 2

Yes... Metal polish will help, but it'll take some work.

Can you get an orange focus pad in there? If not, perhaps a MOM cone and #1 will speed up the process.

Here's a shot of my tips on the G8 last year. They look similar right now.

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=113467&postcount=44

I used wet dry 3000 grit lubed with #2 and then then used a foam applicator that fits on my fingers (non adams product) to get it to the finished product. IMO they looked DARN good for going through two winters. This year I'll use #1 AND #2. I may try some SUPER FINE steel or brass wool.

Chris

Yes... Metal polish will help, but it'll take some work.

Can you get an orange focus pad in there? If not, perhaps a MOM cone and #1 will speed up the process.

Chris

I doubt it most of the tip is under the bumper cover. What is a mom cone?

I have been using the hard brush, I guess I should use a cloth instead

I doubt it most of the tip is under the bumper cover. What is a mom cone?

I have been using the hard brush, I guess I should use a cloth instead

It's made by an Adams competitor... Think about it... Mom... :(

It's made by an Adams competitor... Think about it... Mom... :(

lol gotcha.

I guess I'll order some MP #1 and a mf applicator and give that a try and if its a big PITA, I might spring for the mom cone(for some reason this brings to mind the madonna cone bra look lol). I'm kind of scared to take sand paper to it like you did but I guess if the above doesnt get the results i'm looking for thats the next step. :)

If it's stainless and NOT chrome, you'll be OK with the 3000 grit. 3000 is almost like using paper. lol

Make sure to put a coat of MSW on them and the shine should last quite a while. Winter kills mine.

Those look great, my g8 was so much easier to clean the tips. The mustangs are way tighter with the bumper cover.

are you feeling ok? how much tighter can you get? and I have the bigger openings because of the GXP rear..

IMG-20110405-00149.jpg

IMG-20110405-00148.jpg

yeah I will be dropping the lower too.. I was just referring to what Ryan said, lol..

The g8 tips on my car seemed to extend further out from under the rear bumper. The mustang seems like almost the whole tip is under there. Mine seemed to hang al ittle lower than yours in the pic too. I could fit my brush under there to get the top part of them although it was a tight fit.

My exhaust tips are all scratched up(see pic).

10h7rix.jpg

Will MP #1 get rid of these? If not is there anything I can use?

Also I've been using the wheel and tire brush for the exhaust tips, is this a no no and causing these scratches? I'm not sure if I did it or the dealer did.

You might try loosening the rear exhaust hangars and letting the pipes drop a bit. That would give you a bit more room. On the G8 it's not too hard to pop off the rear diffuser as well. That gives me a bit more room.

Archived