Customer Service 866.965.0400

Tinting Tail Lights

Frid

Question

Have a buddy wanting me to tint his tail lights tomorrow. I will be sanding them before I use the VHT NightShades and after I clear coat them. I have used the ultimate compound from Meguiars before but wondering what hand/ PC polish will be good to use after sanding the clear (if I need to) and which you would prefer.

Thanks.

• Answers 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the other day we were out in front selling the Easter plants.. and SCREEEEECH a car slammed his brakes and almost smashed into a cop! he was texting.. he was lucky that the cop let him be as it was Easter.. so they begin to drive off and hes texting again looking completely down again.. we yelled A-hole.. lol

With people not paying attention while texting and talking on their cell phones, I cannot understand for the sake of logic why you guys would want to tint your tail lights. I want my tail lights to be as bright as possible for that fool who is not being attentive. Besides, if someone rams you in the rear and can prove that your lights are not the correct brightness when stopping, you may end up sharing in the blame of the accident.

Honestly AJ mine are so very slightly tinted that they are still very bright. I do also have a center brake light that's perfectly stock. Mine were clear lenses which stuck out like a sore thumb. I had him tint them just enough to make them part of the car. 2.5 years with no issues on my DD.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

With people not paying attention while texting and talking on their cell phones, I cannot understand for the sake of logic why you guys would want to tint your tail lights. I want my tail lights to be as bright as possible for that fool who is not being attentive. Besides, if someone rams you in the rear and can prove that your lights are not the correct brightness when stopping, you may end up sharing in the blame of the accident.

like i said here if some idiot is not looking then i dont care if you cant see a huge *** thing stopped in front of you then bright lights aint going to solve anything

like i said here if some idiot is not looking then i dont care if you cant see a huge *** thing stopped in front of you then bright lights aint going to solve anything

You'll have a hard time NOT noticing that I am stopping. I touch my brakes and the interior of the car behind me turns red. I can clearly see the people in the car behind me. Looking down or not, that flood of red will get your attention.

halo_mod_brakeonall.jpg

LED's ain't no joke.

When i did mine i used fine grit to sand surface followed by to coats of night shades. Then used about 3 layers of clear followed by ultimate compound by the other guys. They are actually still odot approved because you can see the reflectors that GM built into the tails and see the lights clearly from 500 ft. They arent completely blacked but a very dark cherry red in the sun. my third brake i blacked. In fact in another post i saw that black truck and was going to ask if you did the same i did but here we are now:banana:

Unfortunately junkman it doesnt matter blacked or not. Recently i was working, had one of two lanes blocked by another tw vehicle behind me, a set of 6 cones behind him, non tinted tail lights flashers going, set of 5 warning beacons on my bucket truck 2 on his. and yet this lady still was texting drove right through the cones and his van(15ft behing me) into me while i was 30 ft in the air and she never hit the brakes. The only reason her car left skids was because the engine block was slammed into her tire. went for a little ride in my bucket but luckily everyone involled was fine. 2 totaled cars and some damage done to 3/4 inch steel that i ve never seen plus an almost wrecked high line pole. Proof that its not the warning lights but user error always causing the issue

:help:Yeah running into cops is even more rediculous than running into me. Not only do you have to be dumb but if you dont feel dumb at first the officer will and should make you feel dumber when he tazers you and hauls you to jail. i feel this is completely good treatment since if i had the power to do so i would. Most of the time when i am lit up on the side of the road doing my work on the utility poles it seams people almost speed up or get dumber. I;m just doing my my job and would love to go home to my wife and kids(basset hounds). So plz to everyone reading this go slow when approaching utility trucks.

Those tail lights are awesome cool! What [/u]tail light is that Junkman2008? and how much?, and also hows the installation, did you do it yourself?

Those are the original Halo LED tail lights. Richard at Corvette Enhancements sell then for around $300 (if that price hasn't went down). I've had mine for a few years. The install is as simple as it gets. I did install mine but I do all the work on my Vette.

That's against the law in IA. Texting or emailing...

Our company policy says no texting period while the car is in gear and we're only allowed to talk using a hands free device and you must be on a 4 lane divided highway. I'm 99% sure our people don't follow this, but if caught doing it, it's a fireable offense.

its illegal here, but I dont think the cop saw him texting..

Some states they are. Luckily I live in SC. All they have to be able to see is the break light go on. and since u can see my 3rd break light in the day they can't say a darn thing.

i did mine on my truck 2011 ram i wet sanded with 2000 then applied 2 light coats of vht and 6 coats of clear remember to use enamel and did not sand the clear and they look just as good as the ones you get from a paint shop

100_7483.jpg

ill try to get a better pic been over cast here the last few weeks but look good shiny and smooth no orange peel did not go super dark cause no reason to ask to be pulled over

If you do a 50/50 on a black car where 1 half has been done with SHR and then the other half has been finished with FMP, the difference is very noticeable. By itself, a section done with SHR will appear shiny if you don't have anything to compare it to. However, if you split that area in half and do half with FMP, then the SHR side looks dull compared to the FMP side.

Here's a picture of a trunk that I'm working on. I had already treated the entire trunk with SHR. It does appear to be shiny. But when you look at the area that I'm working on with FMP, it is clearly more shiny and deeper than the area that has only been only treated with SHR. Thus, the SHR area looks dull in person when you're standing next to the car and comparing it to the FMP treated area. It's all relative.

newport2.jpg

I can definitely see it in that trunk. Good example AJ.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Just taking what AJ has said in the past and passing it on. Personally Ive never had SHR make anything shiny myself. Its always had a slight haze to me. I guess different people have different results. I am just basing my statement on my personal experiences and from what AJ has preached in the past. :cheers:

If you do a 50/50 on a black car where 1 half has been done with SHR and then the other half has been finished with FMP, the difference is very noticeable. By itself, a section done with SHR will appear shiny if you don't have anything to compare it to. However, if you split that area in half and do half with FMP, then the SHR side looks dull compared to the FMP side.

Here's a picture of a trunk that I'm working on. I had already treated the entire trunk with SHR. It does appear to be shiny. But when you look at the area that I'm working on with FMP, it is clearly more shiny and deeper than the area that has only been only treated with SHR. Thus, the SHR area looks dull in person when you're standing next to the car and comparing it to the FMP treated area. It's all relative.

newport2.jpg

Yeah. GM had to go retarded and make the 09-10 models have a different reverse size, so I had to find a dummy harness so it will work lol. Of course they went back to the original style in 2011.

HUH????? :help::help::help::help:

Not at all true...

Just taking what AJ has said in the past and passing it on. Personally Ive never had SHR make anything shiny myself. Its always had a slight haze to me. I guess different people have different results. I am just basing my statement on my personal experiences and from what AJ has preached in the past. :cheers:

Archived