Customer Service 866.965.0400

REI - Choose a Bike

StormChaser

Ok, so I have decided that since I am going to be ON the beach when I move...I need a bike.

I had a bike in Alaska that I used YEARLY...I would ride that up on glaciers, etc...20 miles wasn't squat for me then. I even had STUDDED tires for that thing!

Anyway I left it in AK because I had no room for it and I couldn't afford a bike rack.

I have a GOOD amt of $ with REI from my dividend and gift cards. So that is where I am going to get my bike.

I have NO IDEA what the world to get.

No real mountains here so I don't know that I need that.

I don't like the look of the "beach bike"

I'd like to spend less than 1k if possible.

Any suggestions on how to figure this out?

I'd go with a hybrid road bike. It gives you a fatter tire for those trail rides and still a smooth ride on the street and bike paths. You can go with a traditional road set up or a straight-up configuration. This kind of bike would be similar to what they ride in cycle-cross events. Your investment will depend on your drive train and over all bike weight. Have fun!

Brandi, I think a Cruiser would fit your needs.

I use to ride Trek bikes, if you are looking for American made I think that Cannondale is made in the US!:thumbsup:

Cannondale moved a lot of production overseas. Treks carbon fiber bikes are still hand made right up the road from me in Waterloo, Wisconsin, however they are a little out of the price range. I would look at a road bike with flat bars. Lots of speed with out having to hunch over. Then you can either take a nice easy ride along the beach or a longer calorie burning ride if that is what you want. The big thing is to ride a few bikes and find what you like. DO not buy without riding. Most bikes around the same price range will have similar components finding one that fits you is the key.

Cannondale moved a lot of production overseas. Treks carbon fiber bikes are still hand made right up the road from me in Waterloo, Wisconsin, however they are a little out of the price range. I would look at a road bike with flat bars. Lots of speed with out having to hunch over. Then you can either take a nice easy ride along the beach or a longer calorie burning ride if that is what you want. The big thing is to ride a few bikes and find what you like. DO not buy without riding. Most bikes around the same price range will have similar components finding one that fits you is the key.

I am a little out of touch in the bike world, haven't rode in about 8 yrs. or so.

I had a nice Mongoose with full frame suspension years ago, gave it to my Dad.. I'd like to get another soon but with the addition of disc brakes, just because lol.. but I wanna spend way less than $1000, lol

Yea the bike I had in Alaska was custom built and we found all the parts for oh like 40 bucks at various garage sales. LOL

It was an amazing build. A girl got rid of a nice bike because the tire was flat!!!!!! Well easy fix! :)

Anyway I definitely plan on testing them out but I looked online and I am overwhelmed. LOL

I appreciate everyone's advice! :)

Archived