Customer Service 866.965.0400

fire extinguisher residue

killr68

Question

hey guys....i have a question....unfortunately i had to use my in car fire suppression device in my race car over the weekend. its a halon system. when activated, it puts the fire out and when the air clears it leaves no residue. However, the track officials did not use halon under the hood of my car which left a yellow residue on it.

my question is, is there anything i can use to remove all the residue without harming any of the components on the motor that wasnt damaged by the fire ? im thinking that all purpose cleaner would work.....i also heard that WD40 works also but would have to be followed by another cleaner to get the WD 40 off. any thoughts ? THANKS !!

Thanks Chewy and Chris.......i blew most of it off after i vacuumed up what i could with my Vac n blow .....ill probably mix APC with some dish soap and rinse it off immediately.

THANK YOU guys for all the suggestions ! im pulling the motor out this weekend and starting the cleaning process......:xfingers:

Do you know what kind of Extinguisher they used? Sometimes stuff like that is easier cleaned up when its wet and on the other hand some other types are easier cleaned up when they are dry.

I would say before you get it wet with APC, I'd take a air compressor to it. and if that doesnt work vacuum it..... last resort would be to use water and APC.

Thanks Chewy and Chris.......i blew most of it off after i vacuumed up what i could with my Vac n blow .....ill probably mix APC with some dish soap and rinse it off immediately.

THANK YOU guys for all the suggestions ! im pulling the motor out this weekend and starting the cleaning process......:xfingers:

No need for dish soap! Don't waste it. APC will hammer on it.

Wouldn't hurt either :D

It would be a nice place to keep your brushes/mits in, instead of laying them on the ground whilst rinsing or what not

Do you have an assortment of soft bristle brushes?

:burnout:

yeah i have all kinds of brushes......just have to find them ! :D

Thanks Flash......all i have video wise is an in car view the run before the fire.

ill post some pics of the before and after when im done. just click on the video. this is a non nitrous run.... 10.54 at 133 mph....best spraying is 9.01 at 147 mph.

th_jeffcarvideo.jpg

My computers pissing me off :mad: gonna have to view your video tommorow :(

Thanks Flash......all i have video wise is an in car view the run before the fire.

ill post some pics of the before and after when im done. just click on the video. this is a non nitrous run.... 10.54 at 133 mph....best spraying is 9.01 at 147 mph.

th_jeffcarvideo.jpg

it happened in the burnout area, as soon as i started the burnout the fuel line to the pressure gauge came off shooting fuel on the headers, as soon as i saw it, i hit the fire bottle. it put some of it out but the track crew finished putting it out with whatever was in their extinguishers leaving a huge mess. it burned some fuel lines, starter wires, plug wires, cap, the belt on the jesel and vacuum pump, and probably some stuff i cant see as of yet. a little bubbling on the hood and scoop but nothing major. im just glad it didnt happen down track at 150 mph !! that would have been really bad !

THANKS for the reply, i kind of thought APC but wasnt sure if there was anything else that would work. APC is safe on aluminum correct ?

Man, that sounds like a real bummer

The APC I use is safe on aluminum, but there are some that ain't. Simple Green is going to be something you want to stay away from I can tell you that :patriot:

I would actually probally just use a mixture of APC & Dawn in a bucket and have my brushes/mit in there. Get the surface wet with water, then spray APC on the area and grab a brush and get busy

The main thing you don't wanna do is let it dry or work on a hot surface

Keep us posted how it turns out. A video would be awesome too :burnout:

Archived