Customer Service 866.965.0400

Melted paint?!?! help please junkman!

chris_w

Question

Hey everybody, so basically i have a dilemma, it seems the previous owner of this motorcycle tried to take off the warning stickers. they did a good job except on one of them!

does anyone have any idea how i can fix this??? any help is GREATLY appreciated..

(please don't say this is beyond repair :/ )

thank you guys/gals

100_0161.jpg

100_0162.jpg

100_0163.jpg

100_0164.jpg

100_0165.jpg

22 answers to this question

so do you think if i took it to an autobody shop maybe they can do something about it??

Yes, they can repaint it ;)

now, please excuse my newbness, but say it gets wet sanded (by a professionaly not me haha) will it need to be repainted?? or is this a procedure that keeps the stock paint?

Someone removed more then the decals on this puppy. Looks to me someone crinkled the paint in one area and did a burn throuh on another :jester:

p.s. on a side note, anyone know of any good bodywork shops around clayton/raleigh north carolina?

again thanks for your help everyone

No body shop worth their salt will except a job like this unless you consider repainting the whole thing. The liabilty alone would make them shy away from just sanding :glasses:

If you wanna give it a whirl yourself (sanding) your not going to hurt anything at this point

Good luck

Flash :burnout:

I've removed a lot of labels from my bikes and never had to use any heat to do so. Too bad really.

What bike is it? Is it a body part, a tank cover, or an actual tank?

I agree with the repaint process. If it's a body part though and not the tank, it is probably cheaper to replace the whole part with a factory original. Paint will match well too.

Chris

It almost looks like they took a heat gun to it and it got too hot. If it's just the clear, you might be able to to wet sand it. It's hard to tell from the photos. All of the photos, except one, suggest it's burned by a buffer or heat gun. The second photo look like the paint is missing.

Looks like to me they tried using a heat gun to remove the sticker and held it to long or went to close. My opinion from what i see in the pics is that you may be able to wetsand out some of those wrinkels and cut down that area a bit and then hide the rest as best as possible, but without a repaint i think you would have to continue to try hiding that over time.

The more I study this, the more I come to the same conclusion ^ It makes sense the more you think about it :patriot:

Looks like to me they tried using a heat gun to remove the sticker and held it to long or went to close. My opinion from what i see in the pics is that you may be able to wetsand out some of those wrinkels and cut down that area a bit and then hide the rest as best as possible, but without a repaint i think you would have to continue to try hiding that over time.

Man, i really don't feel like dishing out the $$ for a re-spray..i guess my best option is to just bring it somewhere and see what they think? i just watched junkmans videos on youtube on wet sanding 101 and it seem like it *might* work..only thing though is that it's in a tough sport and i don't know if it's feasible.. :/ ugh

What I fixed in those videos was a scratch. You're staring at disfigured clear coat AND paint. You can't use what I used in those videos to fix that problem because that damage is going to require painting. That whole tank is going to have to be stripped and painted again in order to fix that.

Don't waste your time (or anyone else's time), trying to fix that any other way.

Man, i really don't feel like dishing out the $$ for a re-spray..i guess my best option is to just bring it somewhere and see what they think? i just watched junkmans videos on youtube on wet sanding 101 and it seem like it *might* work..only thing though is that it's in a tough sport and i don't know if it's feasible.. :/ ugh

Chris...try Haddock s in Cary,Nc on Maynard Road. I had my whole 370Z repainted there. The manager's name is Blake. They did a super job on my Z. Pm me if you want Blake's number. I hope you get it fixed to your liking!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Don't we have an Adam's dealer in that area, they may know a good place to take it or be able to give you an educated opinion by seeing it in person ?

Richard Kashinsky

North Carolina Distributor

West Jefferson, NC

Phone: (800) 366-9674

richardk@skybest.com

adamspolishesnc.com

No need to call him, no answer at all.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

It almost looks like they took a heat gun to it and it got too hot. If it's just the clear, you might be able to to wet sand it. It's hard to tell from the photos. All of the photos, except one, suggest it's burned by a buffer or heat gun. The second photo look like the paint is missing.

Same as I was thinking, I've seen this before, heat gun damage, the paint looks bad dude, wish you all the luck but with looking at the pics you painting in might be the only thing to fix this problem.

Please keep us posted.

That sucks, feel your pain.

If you wanna give it a whirl yourself (sanding) your not going to hurt anything at this point

Good luck

Flash :burnout:

I agree... worst case is you end up repainting, which is already likely given the extent of the damage, but if you fix it then you come out ahead. Nothing to lose, and it could be a great learning experience.

It looks like whatever the previous owner used to take off the sticker/residue, it hurt the clear on the paint. They may have used a really strong chemical, or something that just did not mix well with the clear.

Wetsanding may help, but you may have to get the whole tank re-shot. Take it to a trusted body shop and see what they say about wetsanding and polishing it first.

Keep us posted, and welcome to the forum!

okay cool, thank you for your input guys, i'll quote around some body shops and see what i get..

p.s. on a side note, anyone know of any good bodywork shops around clayton/raleigh north carolina?

again thanks for your help everyone

Okay well i'm trying not to get my hopes too high. But i'm starting to feel a little better considering wetsanding may be an option...

now, please excuse my newbness, but say it gets wet sanded (by a professionaly not me haha) will it need to be repainted?? or is this a procedure that keeps the stock paint?

i want to apologize for not really introducing myself and having such a blunt first post...I just really want to get this fixed asap.

thank you for the welcome Mayben

so do you think if i took it to an autobody shop maybe they can do something about it??

Archived