Customer Service 866.965.0400

Brilliant Glaze- how many applications will remove Americana?

Waxxer

Question

I enjoy using Americana and the new Brilliant Glaze. After doing my initial BG/Americana process, I often apply Brilliant Glaze every two weeks after a wash (it's become my favorite Adam's product).

Dylan has cautioned that the solvents in Brilliant Glaze will degrade Americana and he recommends only applying it under Americana. I'm wondering how many BG applications would remove Americana enough that I should reapply Americana?

Someone metioned doing a Brilliant Glaze sticky and I would second that. Thanks for any comments.

9 answers to this question

Tough to tell. I freshen up Americana with more Americana, but only about every 6+ weeks or so. I am going for the longevity, trying to have the best look as long as possible between waxes (vs. how it looks of course!) I normally wash it every week (black paint) and it lasts pretty well. I just touched up the front end about two weeks ago and that was a couple months from the last full Americana waxing I did. But I don't put the BG over the Americana since Dylan posted that info on BG over Americana. :willy:

You may be out of such luck. Myself I apply BG under Americana but it may come down to your methods of how long it will take to diminish Americana. Use your best judgement next time it rains just look over your car and see how the beading is if it looks to you that you need another coat well then you know. Myself I apply Americana about once every month or two. Some may see it as not needed but I have a black car and I love Americana and you use so little who cares.

Thanks for the replies.

As far as beading telling me if the carnauba is still there, BG beads pretty well on its own (it does contain some wax) and by applying it every 2 weeks the beading seems still to be there, but maybe that's just telling me that there is still carnauba left (and of course it depends on the weather the car has seen). I just love the look and slickness of BG.

My thought is that after doing the initial BG/Americana application, I may use BG (alone) after two weeks and then once more, then after 6 weeks do the BG/Americana duo.

I would surmise that as long as you use BG and it removes some carnauba, that you can never have too many layers of Americana that would lead to hazing.

My BG querstion was prompted by the BG special going on...buy 2 get a 3rd free....if I only used BG under Americanca it would be a long time for me to use up 3 bottles of BG (I use it on 2 cars).

Thanks for any more comments.....like many on the forum, my neighbors and wife think I have a car waxing "problem"...lol. I tell them it's therapy.

I really can't say... anything I can tell you will be speculative at best... you have to understand that the solvents in it would liquify the wax, what happens at that point is all a guess.

I'd say that the only way to really KNOW is when the paint is wet during washes... if the water beads your paint still has measurable protection on it... if it goes flat you have nothing there reducing the surface tension and thus no wax protection.

Chris- I was alittle concerned with over-applying the Americana (and getting hazing) if I applied Americana often (say once a month), but since the BG removes some, I guess this is not a problem....I could apply BG every two weeks, and then do BG/Americana once a month and be GTG.

Your screen name is so appropriate LOL.

Its not so 'paint by numbers' you need to gauge whether or not the paint NEEDS another coat of stuff. I understand that for a lot of people rubbing on the car is therapy and we'd love it if you'd burn thru your stuff at an exceedingly high speed and come back for more, but in all honesty I don't want to see you overdo the work for no benefit (or potentially even some detriment)

When you wash your car pay attention to how the water behaves... you shouldn't be waxing or glazing without a wash first so you'll have this opportunity anyways. If you get beading and water rolls off you don't need anything added. If it goes flat then its time to glaze and wax.

Also, don't forget Detail Spray adds glossed/just waxed wet looking shine to paint. Wash and dry with DS, then follow up with another straight DS wipe down if you need that 'theraputic' rubbin on the car time.

Thanks Dylan. Yes, I know about looking for beading, but wasn't sure if it was the BG or the Americana..my cars always bead well...I'm just an addict...and when I saw the BG sale I thought...wow with 3 bottles I can use it everyday (jk)....lol.

Archived