Customer Service 866.965.0400

head lights, need done again

BUCKET

Question

was not sure where to put this. But on my bro in laws rx-8 I washed, clayed, 4" SHR, then FMP, they came out great. but few months later they are back to needing polishing. I miss a step or forget a product?

19 answers to this question

they looked perfect after my last attack at them. The car lives in the sun, only so much I can do. i have some 1500 wet. but it did not need it last time. I will hit it with the MSW this time on the 4" and see what we get.

thanks peeps

Does anyone have an opinion on if glass sealant would be a good topcoat for fresh new headlights? I bought a new pair and would like to put something on them to keep them from doing the usual.

Seems like a spray sealant would be perfect for this... Dylan?

Does anyone have an opinion on if glass sealant would be a good topcoat for fresh new headlights? I bought a new pair and would like to put something on them to keep them from doing the usual.

Personally, I wouldn't do it unless they're glass headlights. There's a LOT of alcohol in the sealant and I'd be afraid to dry out the plastic. I don't think it would, but I use wax and it's worked great for me.

Try it! Let us know what you think!

Chris

post some pics!

I can post some "afters". I have no before shots. I thot about it but it was last night, I was tired, and wanted to knock this out fast. I will do so with my daughter's car, it needs even more headlight love (well more than just that.. and I'll take some pics of the whole detail).

I also just ordered some "Liquid rubber" to fix the rubber trim that covers the window "ledge". Will consider showing the touch up work I am planning on doing if it comes out well.

-Mike

My GFs 2000 Corolla needed some headlight love... I hit them with the 4 inch focus, SHR, FMP and them some MSW.... look brand new... we'll see how long it lasts... she was surprised to see the difference... now alot of other work to do on this car, we'll see how much I can "save".

-Mike

post some pics!

My GFs 2000 Corolla needed some headlight love... I hit them with the 4 inch focus, SHR, FMP and them some MSW.... look brand new... we'll see how long it lasts... she was surprised to see the difference... now alot of other work to do on this car, we'll see how much I can "save".

-Mike

Question to tag along with this thread: Would the glass sealant be a good top coat to seal or would another one of the products last longer? Just picked some up and thought it might do the trick for this purpose.

they looked perfect after my last attack at them. The car lives in the sun, only so much I can do. i have some 1500 wet. but it did not need it last time. I will hit it with the MSW this time on the 4" and see what we get.

thanks peeps

ALWAYS start with the least aggressive method. SHR and FMP should suffice.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

My 08' Rav has shiny lamps, not so with my 96" GMC truck.

Last week I clayed them, wet sanded with 1500 then 2000 grit, buffed using SHR then a plastic polish followed my a wax.

They look brand new, if you want to see the pics let me know, I'll send them to you.

If their not to bad no sanding is needed but if it's in bad shape you might have to sand them.

Really works well when done right.

They new brand new again.

Once they haze over and you polish them the first time, the original protection is way gone. Down here, if the car is kept outside, they will need touching up about every 6 months. As Chewy said, MSW will help.

My wifes 8 year old Accord is in the garage 90% of the time, and I still have not used anything stronger than FMP on the headlights and they look great. My son's Civic is outside all the time and I just polished his headlights out for the second time in a year.

It'll help, but once they start to fog over, you will have to polish them every so often. I've done my buddies Maxima a few times already.

I just saw you're in FL. Yeah... Suns a "B" word on things down there. My parents have a place there and it's amazing what the sun does. :(

Chris

Complete the cleaning with some wax. MSW or Americana are two good ones. If his car sits out a lot, they'll continue to fog over like that.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

Archived