Customer Service 866.965.0400

Question about Americana

Toms94

Question

OK, at another site, a question about who uses what wax/sealant came up and I posted that I use and like Americana...blah, blah, blah...

So a couple of posts later this question was asked.

I have a question for the waxes and polishes posted above ..

How many have a chemical or some kind of reaction to make them work and how many have silicone. Last question how many effect touch up painting??

Just ask'n

I'm pretty sure of the silicone aspect (no silicon, right?), but I wasn't sure of the other....can someone clear this up so I can post a correct answer?

8 answers to this question

Not sure I'm understanding the question.

Waxes don't have a "chemical reaction", but they do cure (harden) so they can protect the surface. Sealants are much the same way, but being in the polymer family they can be technically classified as silicones.

As for touch up paint, does he mean 'repaint'? Many many many products in the detailing business contain silicones or synthetic polymers belonging to the silicone family, but if hes looking for a product to be used in, around, or in close timeframe to paint spraying then he needs to look into a 'bodyshop safe' product line. 3M is generally the best suited for those needs.

Just b/c a product contains a polymer or silicone doesn't mean its bad for paint, but in a painting environment you don't want airborn particles of it during the painting process.

Dylan, I believe he's asking about those touch up paint for rock chips and such, not a complete paint job. I think he's wondering if any of these products would cause issues. Thanks.

Chris, I've been extremely busy with school and my sideline business (cabinetmaking and furniture building). My personal life has been quite in a 'flux" too. Thanks for noticing that I've been "absent".

Dylan, I believe he's asking about those touch up paint for rock chips and such, not a complete paint job. I think he's wondering if any of these products would cause issues. Thanks.

Chris, I've been extremely busy with school and my sideline business (cabinetmaking and furniture building). My personal life has been quite in a 'flux" too. Thanks for noticing that I've been "absent".

You'll always going to want to remove any sealants or waxes before using any kind of paint. I used ISPA and a MF towel to prep my areas.

Over the top no effect at all, but if he means preventing touchup paint from adhering, no.... so long as he preps the area properly first.

I used Dr. Color Chip repair kit, it worked great, just use something that would strip the wax off the area you're repairing.

Archived