Customer Service 866.965.0400

"Sun kissed" paint

TX GMC

Question

So you know when the sun cooks the clear coat of a car and it has the hazy look. Can you go over that with the products? I mean the clear coat stopped eroding and it's just one section. Do I need to avoid it. It's on a red car....I dont know what to do. I don't want to go over it with the PC and end up fudging it up.

Mistyped from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 answers to this question

I think what you're describing is oxidation... do you know if the car has single stage paint? If not whats the make/model/year and I can help you figure it out.

Fixing oxidation is pretty much the same process as removing swirls... the only difference being that with a single stage paint job and bad oxidation you may need an extra set of pads to complete the job b/c the failed paint will clog you pads very quickly making them largely ineffective.

Now waxing will help prevent it from happening again, but won't fix the problem. You need to remove the failed paint in order to remedy the problem.

I think what you're describing is oxidation... do you know if the car has single stage paint? If not whats the make/model/year and I can help you figure it out.

Fixing oxidation is pretty much the same process as removing swirls... the only difference being that with a single stage paint job and bad oxidation you may need an extra set of pads to complete the job b/c the failed paint will clog you pads very quickly making them largely ineffective.

Now waxing will help prevent it from happening again, but won't fix the problem. You need to remove the failed paint in order to remedy the problem.

Lol your gonna get a kick out of this.

A 92.............

Geo...(yeah fail already)

Metro lol. It's my father in laws, he collects them I figured id do a nice paint correction on it. But idk about single stage. There's a 2x2 area of oxidation on the roof back

quick and easy way to tell if its single stage -

take a little swirl and haze remover on a light colored towel and rub an area that ISN'T oxidized... if you get a red transfer you're dealing with single stage. If you don't then its clear coated.

I have a sinking suspicion seeing as the Geo Metro was one of the lowest budget rides of all time it would be single stage to save cost, but you never know.

the Geo Metro was one of the lowest budget rides of all time it would be single stage to save cost, but you never know.

Not only single stage but I think they just used a single coat :lolsmack::lolsmack:

There were actually (3) reds available on the 92 Metro...

Radiant Red Pearl Metallic Clearcoat - WA5389/48U

Red - WA9531/76U/81U

Red Clearcoat - WA9983/81U

Check the paint code on the door jam or glove box of the car and see which one it is.

quick and easy way to tell if its single stage -

take a little swirl and haze remover on a light colored towel and rub an area that ISN'T oxidized... if you get a red transfer you're dealing with single stage. If you don't then its clear coated.

I have a sinking suspicion seeing as the Geo Metro was one of the lowest budget rides of all time it would be single stage to save cost, but you never know.

Ok so if no clear coat. Stay away from it? Cuz the red will come off on my pads etc

Ok so if no clear coat. Stay away from it? Cuz the red will come off on my pads etc

No, just be prepared with a 2nd set of pads b/c even with a car the size of the metro, if you polish single stage thats oxidized your pads are gonna get clogged up before you finish the car.

Archived