Customer Service 866.965.0400

Using 50/50 Alcohol & Water on old wax

Silver Bullet

Question

I have a couple questions about removing old wax using a 50/50 alcohol water mix in a spray bottle. In another thread Mysticine suggested spraying it on and wiping it off with a 100% cotton diaper. MAYBEN recommended using a double or single soft microfiber. Since I have a pretty good collection of both single and double softs, I see no reason not to use them.

First question: When removing old wax this way, is there any obvious visual evidence that the old wax is actually coming off? That is, can a change clearly be seen on the car, and does it leave any obvious deposits on the towel?

After a wash, dry, and general detail job, my usual routine is to gather up all the microfiber I may have used, regardless how they were used, and toss them all in the washing machine.

Second question: Can I just toss the towels I used to remove the wax in the washer with the drying towel(s) and all the other ones I might have used, expect them to come clean, and not contaminate the other towels; or would you recommend I swish them around in a bucket of Dawn water first, to clean out the old wax residue before throwing them in the washer?

8 answers to this question

I believe that normally the removal of wax may be felt (more drag on the surface). I just do it to be rigorous. And the wax should come off the microfiber the same way it does when you wash them, and you probably have more on the microfiber towel when wiping off the Americana after application than you would doing a strip of the wax.

1. You won't see anything on your towels, and depending how old the wax was a lot of it is prob worn off anyways

2. You can wash them with others, you're washing the car first right? So the car is clean you're just stripping your LSP. You'd get way more wax on your towels buffing off a fresh coat than you will stripping an old one.

3. Assuming you strip the wax off water shouldn't bead on the paint anymore.

If there is still a nice coat of wax on the surface you should be able to notice a dull appearance. Do one panel and compare it to the one beside it. I've also noticed that after striping wax there will be more swirls, scratches or holograms visable that the fillers in whatever had been previously applied were hiding. Whatever you don't get off the clay bar should.

I wash all my microfibers together in the same load. If any were used for wax removal I make sure the wash water is set to Hot. If there is any residue in the drum of the washer when finished, I'll wash them the same way a second time. I'll sometimes "swish" them around in a bucket of Woolite if they're really soiled: Dawn would be tough for your household washer to rinse completely out.

If there is still a nice coat of wax on the surface you should be able to notice a dull appearance. Do one panel and compare it to the one beside it. I've also noticed that after striping wax there will be more swirls, scratches or holograms visable that the fillers in whatever had been previously applied were hiding. Whatever you don't get off the clay bar should.

I wash all my microfibers together in the same load. If any were used for wax removal I make sure the wash water is set to Hot. If there is any residue in the drum of the washer when finished, I'll wash them the same way a second time. I'll sometimes "swish" them around in a bucket of Woolite if they're really soiled: Dawn would be tough for your household washer to rinse completely out.

:iagree: If any of the MF gets heavily soiled, I usually give them a presoak in a 5 gal bucket overnight, then washing. Before this I used to do a lot of spot treating. The presoak seems to work, as even the white towels are nice and clean without spot treating.

I guess I should have qualified that. I don't use MF on anything that would get them really dirty. MF is reserved for paint, and white ones for wax removal. (I still have mucho True Blue Super plush for polishing) Any slight dark spot on a white MF really shows up, and is a spot to me.

Archived