Customer Service 866.965.0400

About to take the plunge, questions 1st though

txredgt

Question

So after doing some #'s crunching and just flat out ready to get one I am on the final steps of purchasing a :pc: But I do have a few questions:

1: After looking at both the basic porter cable kit as well as the starter kit it seems to me that they are the same products but their is different pads. Am I missing something?

2: I thought I saw that the last product, the FMP could be substituted for something else which is _____? Which would be the better suited product for a daily driver and also currently all I have as far as wax is of the buttery variety, soon Americana but it will have to wait until this purchase has eased the wallet pain.

3: Finally any other pieces I should get to go along with this? I am actually thinking the basic kit has everything I would need minus maybe a double soft since you can never have too many microfibers. I already have a gallon of detail, new clay and a half bottle of APC, maybe a gallon of APC is in order.

Anything else I should add to the list and which selection on the 3rd piece should I go with?

23 answers to this question

Bringing this thread back to life after being dead for a week or so. With the new sweet deal we have going on, this is going to be the order I will be placing, minus 1 product I think but that is where I need help. Also, is there anyway to get a shipping quote before purchasing? I know it sounds strange dropping so much but I am on a pretty tight budget and I would like to know shipping costs before ordering. Anyways lets get to the good stuff, what I want:

Basic PC kit

APC gallon

Americana

BG

Metal Polish 1&2

If you could take one of those off the list which would it be? I am leaning towards metal polishes (I already took off MSW when I added americana, no need for both when i can only have one at this point) But I added them simply because I just picked up essentially a new exhaust setup and want to keep it looking new. Thoughts about shipping costs for this and also to keep MP1&2 vs something else on that list?

The one who is immedately where I am went overseas so I wasn't able to get the stuff before he left. Jason in SA (Faze on here) is who I have gone to in the past but being 2 hours away now makes it tough to find time to get to SA.

Thanks for the input guys. I can't buy the 500 kit that has all of it together, not in the budget.

EDIT: Just saw I should get 2 first. Any reason why not the lower step first?

I'm thinking shipping from 2 hours away wouldn't be too high :thumbsup:

If I get just one of the two MP's should I get the 1 (guessing thats the right choice) or the 2?

If the tips are fairly new, then MP2 - it's the 'maintainer'. MP1 is for restoring.

And if you are concerned about shipping costs reach out to a dealer in your area.

The one who is immedately where I am went overseas so I wasn't able to get the stuff before he left. Jason in SA (Faze on here) is who I have gone to in the past but being 2 hours away now makes it tough to find time to get to SA.

Thanks for the input guys. I can't buy the 500 kit that has all of it together, not in the budget.

EDIT: Just saw I should get 2 first. Any reason why not the lower step first?

And you can buy them separately too. Get MP2 now and MP1 later, if possible.

I was thinking that too, though it is cheaper in the long run if you buy them together.

Of those options, if you had to ditch one, I'd say skip the Metal Polish for now, like you were thinking.

And you can buy them separately too. Get MP2 now and MP1 later, if possible.

Of those options, if you had to ditch one, I'd say skip the Metal Polish for now, like you were thinking. To be honest, I haven't polished my exhaust tips all that often and they still look pretty good. I just clean them with APC every time I wash the car. As far as shipping, if you go to checkout, it will show you the shipping options before you enter any payment info. You can always back out and change things before submitting your order.

Your going to love that PC, it's a beast.

Folks here are correct on Adam's products, top notch.

His pads IMO are the best on the market, can't tell you enough on how well they hold up, I pass mine through hell and back and they still look new.

Haven't tried his carpet cleaner but the people here swear by it, that will be my next purchase.

MSW is great for Daily Drivers.. by itself it has an awesome shine.. you can top it with BG and Americana, and I'm pretty sure Buttery as well to give it a boost..

Thanks, thats what I was looking for. I was thinking correctly just because I don't want to have to keep reapplying buttery every other wash or so. I have most of the basic products for trim and wash but this will be the 1st of the polish pieces. I started modestly but I know my car needs this pretty bad.

But the MSW would last longer correct? Or would I be better off to not get it now and then put that 30 or so towards a bottle of Americana? And Mayben I will most likely talk to my local supplier, gotta give them some sales and keep them in business too! :)

MSW is great for Daily Drivers.. by itself it has an awesome shine.. you can top it with BG and Americana, and I'm pretty sure Buttery as well to give it a boost..

But the MSW would last longer correct? Or would I be better off to not get it now and then put that 30 or so towards a bottle of Americana? And Mayben I will most likely talk to my local supplier, gotta give them some sales and keep them in business too! :)

It all depends on your budget. It's easy for us to tell you what to buy because it's not our money. If it were me, I'd get the Complete Kit in your situation, but what you listed is enough to get you started with the PC. If you're really not trying to spend a lot, I'd even go as far to say you could skip the MSW. Polish the car up with the PC and then apply your Buttery Wax by hand like you've been doing. There's nothing that says you need to apply a machine wax just because you polished it with a machine.

I think so..

probly should go with the Complete kit as recommended, then add your gallons..

order now and I believe you can still take advantage of the Memorial Day Sale and get the 10% off and FREE shipping.. that will save you a lot..

the extra APC 16oz is nice because then you can have a bottle for 50/50 and full strength.. besides, you need everything in the complete anyways..

It does help, I'm thinking I might need the SSR since the car is 10 yrs old and this will be the 1st time I have used a machine on it and I doubt the previous owner did. The paint is in overall good shape however it has some pretty good swirls and scratches. Only 1 or 2 spots that have what I consider decfects which looking similar to a quarter size hazing over and on the front bumper something black scraped up on the paint, didn't do any damage just has the paint left to get off. I might add the gallon of APC and the MSW to the list though with the pad of course. Would that be a sufficient start to my machine use?

I would suggest both, that way you have it if you need it.. I recommend using the MSW as it does add a lot of protection, and you can top it with Americana for an even better look..

1. The Basic Kit includes all three polishes (SSR, SHR, FMP) and their associated pads, but no wax, while the Starter Kit replaces the Severe Swirl Remover with the Machine Super Wax (and the green pad with the gray pad). It also includes extras like detail spray, clay, APC, and some microfibers. Depending on the condition of your paint, you may not even need the SSR/green pad combo.

2. In the machine polishing process, there isn't really a substitute for FMP. As far as waxes, the MSW will offer the most longevity of protection, but personally I use Americana on my daily driver, and I'm sure even Buttery is fine, though you'll have to reapply more often.

3. Definitely get the gallon of APC, you'll use it for all kinds of purposes (hence the name :D). Also, I don't know what you have currently, but like you said, you can never have too many microfibers. Whether to get the Basic or Starter comes down to if you want the SSR or MSW. If you want both, then going with the Complete PC Kit would make sense. Even though you already have the some clay, DS, and APC, which the Starter and Complete Kits come with, you'll find yourself using it eventually and buying bigger kits upfront saves money in the long run.

Hope this helps.

Archived