Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Clear Coated (powder coat) Rims

sparg93

Question

Within the next few weeks I'm getting my new polished rims. I'm having them powder coated clear to protect them.

After the powder coat, is there anything with Adam's arsenal that can be used an extra protector when I first pick up the rims??

13 answers to this question

They are finally finished with powder and I'm picking them up today!! It just so happens that on Wed i'm getting my first order from Adams!! (so now I'm broke :) )

By the time I can play with the rims and Adam's products, i'll have about 100miles on the rims. With that in mind, I'm going to wash the rims with wheel cleaner and check for any imperfections that may have crept up over the next few days.

Assuming there is no polishing that needs to be completed, can I simply move strait to the Machine Super Sealant? Can i apply this stuff with one of my foam applicators, or should i use my 4" pad? (with my rims, foam applicator would be much easier)

After the machine sealant cures, I was thinking of Brilliant, followed by Americana. Do I really need to allow Machine Sealant to cure for 12hrs???

you guys are the pro's, I'm the newb, any recommendations/alterations to my plan above??

AND i do have SVRT & undercarriage spray that I will be using liberally as well. The full detail treatment will unfortunately have to wait until September.

Assuming there is no polishing that needs to be completed, can I simply move strait to the Machine Super Sealant? Can i apply this stuff with one of my foam applicators, or should i use my 4" pad? (with my rims, foam applicator would be much easier)

After the machine sealant cures, I was thinking of Brilliant, followed by Americana. Do I really need to allow Machine Sealant to cure for 12hrs???

MSS should be fine, and yes wait at least 12 hours before putting anything on top of it - 24 hours is better. Apply with a hex pad applicator or microfiber

applicator pad.

Great - thank you everybody.

Unfortunately I do not have a garage that my Tahoe fits in (too tall), so it will be sitting outside during the cure. I'm doing this Friday morning, which means the sun will hit at least one side of the truck within a few hours.

I was thinking of simply placing towels over the wheels to cover the rims from direct sun. The ambient air is expected to reach 90 - 95...will that affect the curing of this sealant?

Also, is it ok if I use my Hex Pad for Super Sealant AND Brilliant Glaze if I thoroughly wash and dry the hex between uses?

if they are being clearcoated dont use a rim cleaner just use adams car wash and maybe some all purpose cleaner. You may want to cut the all purpose cleaner a little with some water so as not to be too strong. But just washing should work then dry them well with a clean microfiber towel remember if they are clear coated they could scratch just like your paint. Just put on some machine super sealant and then in 12 to 24 hours rewipe with a clean microfiber.

Great - thank you everybody.

Unfortunately I do not have a garage that my Tahoe fits in (too tall), so it will be sitting outside during the cure. I'm doing this Friday morning, which means the sun will hit at least one side of the truck within a few hours.

I was thinking of simply placing towels over the wheels to cover the rims from direct sun. The ambient air is expected to reach 90 - 95...will that affect the curing of this sealant?

Also, is it ok if I use my Hex Pad for Super Sealant AND Brilliant Glaze if I thoroughly wash and dry the hex between uses?

No need to cover them, just wait the 12 hours and then give them a little waterless wash or DS wipe down for any dust that has settled and then put on the BG and Americana :thumbsup:

Just to make sure we are on the same page, after you put the MSS on you will wipe off the residue 20 to 30 minutes later. Then the curing will take 12 hours or so.

Just to make sure we are on the same page, after you put the MSS on you will wipe off the residue 20 to 30 minutes later. Then the curing will take 12 hours or so.

Glad you told me that!!! I saw the videos, but now I get the difference between the 20min wait and the 12hr cure. Thanks Billl!!

Archived