Customer Service 866.965.0400

Am I doing something wrong?

1121ken

Question

I just got my PC and stuff i was testing it out on my car did the whole process leading up to buffing to include claying. I started buffing with the ssr green pad of course but alot of dusting is happening you know like i am not using enough polish on the pad is there a certain way to prime the pad i was using junkmans way with using 4 pea size drops on the pad but i am still getting alot of dusting. also i am thinking it may just be the paint but i was using my italian BMW and i hear they dont use clear coat?? not 100% sure but i even used the slow cut method of junkmans with the single use of polish then sprtiz with DS, numerous times to see and no results still looks the exact same but maybe a little bit shinier... idk what is going on... any input would be great

17 answers to this question

ok then my apologies i thought the slow cut technique was used to determine whether or not a clear coat was hard or soft i guess i misunderstood that.. also i am only using 4 drops to initially prime it being that is a new pad. or shoudl i still only use 3 drops? also i seen improvement using 3 drops ona speed of 5 but it took a couple passes, i have gone through all your videos on you tube and most here but i dont think i have enough time behind the buffer to really get great results off the start which is what i think i am wanting to happen but i am now realizing its not gonna happen that quick hehe. thanks for the insight and assistance....

We all wanted the same when we started. No worries, get your technique down and results will follow.

ok then my apologies i thought the slow cut technique was used to determine whether or not a clear coat was hard or soft...

That is another reason that I use the slow cut but that mainly applies to imports. You will be just fine using my normal method.

ok then my apologies i thought the slow cut technique was used to determine whether or not a clear coat was hard or soft i guess i misunderstood that.. also i am only using 4 drops to initially prime it being that is a new pad. or shoudl i still only use 3 drops? also i seen improvement using 3 drops ona speed of 5 but it took a couple passes, i have gone through all your videos on you tube and most here but i dont think i have enough time behind the buffer to really get great results off the start which is what i think i am wanting to happen but i am now realizing its not gonna happen that quick hehe. thanks for the insight and assistance....

sorry to confuse i did it adams way to see what results i could get on half the hood. then i went to the other half and used your slow cut technique and got quicker results thus i am going with yours, not saying that adams doesnt work just not for me. I also do know that i need a heck of alot more time behind the wheel as they say to get better... i will try to get some good pics up today of the two sides if i can get some free time..

and the extra shots of ds were me just trying my own method... to keep the dusting down...

Well let's clear up some things. The slow cut is not the technique that I use to correct paint. The slow cut was invented to be used with paste type polishes on a low powered polisher, not the liquid type polishes that Adam's sells. The one thing that you can use the slow cut for is to flush excess polish out of your pads if you make the mistake of caking up your pads with polish. It would take you a crazy amount of time to do an entire car with a lot of damage using the slow cut technique. Like all winter.

The technique that I use is 3-pea sized drops on a speed setting of 5 using 9-14 pounds of pressure working at a tempo that I detailed in my F.A.Q. thread. That's MY technique so if you say that you are using my technique, make sure that is the one you are using. That is what I use in all my videos except for the slow cut videos series.

Lastly, the reason that you are seeing so much dust is because you are using too much product. There are many threads that explain why dusting occurs. Working on a hot surface, dirty pads and using too much product are the leading three. If your working conditions are not ideal, then you are going to see these type of issues.

sorry to confuse i did it adams way to see what results i could get on half the hood. then i went to the other half and used your slow cut technique and got quicker results thus i am going with yours, not saying that adams doesnt work just not for me. I also do know that i need a heck of alot more time behind the wheel as they say to get better... i will try to get some good pics up today of the two sides if i can get some free time..

and the extra shots of ds were me just trying my own method... to keep the dusting down...

ok i thought about that and i used a couple extra shots and it did take the dusting down

Who's technique are you using, mine or Adam's? There are no parts of our technique that are interchangeable. You do it exactly the way Adam does or I do. It sounds to me like you're mixing the too, which will lead to failure with your results.

ok well i have done a couple of passes over the area doen with 2 passes ssr and one pass shr and i see improvement but i am also noticeing that these are some nasty swirls and scuff they are also stubborn JUNKMAN would be LIKE OMG what the heck happened... i will keep you updated with some pics and all ok those are soon to come i am doing a half and half shot once finished and i will see how using more DS on the edges will do on the dusting thanks for the insight also i am trying to stay with the 3 small pea drops and if its not enough i spritz the pad with some ds without adding more polish .. hope its right lol

Patience friend, many have had the dusting issue, as I did. I can't speak of your BMW but when I first used the PC on my new vette to clear up some dealer installed swirls, I had quite a bit of dusting. Since the first PC use my dusting issues have improved greatly.

For me, I kept the pad and edges sprayed better with DS and even tho I thought I was using the correct amount of polish, seems I was still going to heavy. A little bit of practice and things will improve for you.

the surface was cooler than sitting out in the sun it might have been too hot but also i think the direct sunlight and also i think the paint is diff like i dont know if they use clear coat or not

i am gonna do all threee polishes to see if i can get anything out and if not i will try the same method on an american painted car also ill see

Archived