Customer Service 866.965.0400

The Wheels Came Off -- The Tale of a Battle with Brake Dust

samers

Question

Was feeling a little adventurous this weekend and decided to really attack my wheels. Turned out to be very time consuming and was only able to finish the two front 19" rims of a 2010 Jaguar XF.

Before shots were taken following my standard wash using GWC, Turbo Stick and the Boar's Hair Wheel Brush.

attachment.php?attachmentid=7407&d=1310418018

attachment.php?attachmentid=7408&d=1310418018

Following removal, soaked the barrels and rear of the spokes for about a minute with GWC then cleaned using the boar's hair brush, lug nut brush, toothbrush, random towel.

I park in a garage without a water supply so used a pressurized garden sprayer to rinse the wheels between phases.

After getting them as clean as they were going to get, clayed inner and outer surfaces, applied Revive Polish, and topped it off with MSS. As I sat waiting the obligatory 20 minutes for MSS to cure, I really wished I had a can of Adam's Speed Sealant.

The results. Not as perfect as I wanted but significantly better.

attachment.php?attachmentid=7409&d=1310418018

attachment.php?attachmentid=7410&d=1310418018

attachment.php?attachmentid=7411&d=1310418018

10 answers to this question

Nice! Now fix the route cause of the issue! I've found Hawk HPS pads have amazing stopping power and very little dusting. So much so that I want to put them on the Enclave and my F150 in the future.

Chris

Nice! Now fix the route cause of the issue! I've found Hawk HPS pads have amazing stopping power and very little dusting. So much so that I want to put them on the Enclave and my F150 in the future.

Chris

I followed up on your recommendation but Hawk doesn't manufacture pads that fit my car :-(

I'd like to do that to my wheels but, it looks like a lot of work.

It suuuuucked! I am not really set up to get the wheels on and off my car quickly or easily. I also had a bit of an audience the last hour or so since the garage was invaded by people clamoring to see fireworks in my neighborhood on Saturday night.

In this instance, my OCD > my laziness

Nice work!

When I did that to my TB SS wheels I couldn't get the backside of the spokes that clean, then again it is raw, as cast alum. I also only gave it one pass before running into the AC to do the rest of the process. lol

My laziness usually wins, so congrats to your OCD! :)

Archived