Customer Service 866.965.0400

Product Shelf Life & Storage?

sparg93

Question

Unfortunately I don't have regular availability to detail my rides, so I'm worried about the products going bad before they are used....

With that in mind....

What is the shelf life of these products?

- Do some products last longer then others?

What is the best temp to store these?

-Is it ok if they sit in the garage which freezes in the winter and boils in the summer?

- What products can handles significant temp changes and what is more sensitive and should be stored in the basement?

Thanks!

12 answers to this question

This has been discussed in prior threads so you can do a quick search and find more specific results product by product, but generally waxes don't handle hot weather at all. Most of the products will survive in the conditions but they will last longer in ideal ones.

This information should probably be put in a Sticky :thumbsup:

Great Question! Chemicals HATE temperature change. It's as important to avoid storing chemicals in a hot garage as it is to store them in a freezing cold garage.

You will see chemicals separate, get watery, or clumpy after getting too hot or cold.

What is officially too hot, or too cold? Below 50 degrees, and above 90 are temps that can cause the emulsions, blends, and surfactants to change. Once that temp changes, the chemical will not work the same, it may not mix together, and most always the color will change.

Detail Spray - Dark Red

VRT - Clear, and watery

Buttery Wax - clumpy, like rotten milk

Etc etc etc.

Thanks for the question, and if possible, take all of your chemicals that you care about, and put them away for the winter if you live in a cold climate.

Adam :thumbsup:

Yeah - i searched around and only found bits and pieces. I was hoping there was some rule of thumb for each product category :)

The easiest rule of thumb for ALL of the products is to keep them between 50 and 90. Anything out side of that get them in the house. Some fare better than others outside of that range, like the car wash, but it is better to be safe and follow this rule for everything :thumbsup:

When i lived in my apartment i had a downstairs room built into the side of a hill so it never got to cold and never to warm. Now i have my house all my adams is stored in the basement in a metal cabinet so its cool, dry and dark. I did a detail the other day and only brought up the stuff I was using just then and when done i brought them down and brought up the next step. I have had some of my stuff for 3 yrs and it still smells looks and acts the same as the day I bought it.

When i lived in my apartment i had a downstairs room built into the side of a hill so it never got to cold and never to warm. Now i have my house all my adams is stored in the basement in a metal cabinet so its cool, dry and dark. I did a detail the other day and only brought up the stuff I was using just then and when done i brought them down and brought up the next step. I have had some of my stuff for 3 yrs and it still smells looks and acts the same as the day I bought it.

Sounds like a good plan Danial. I keep most of my supplies in the basement in a cabinet so it's cool and dark. I'm keeping the Americana in a refrigerator set at 45*F.

Archived