Customer Service 866.965.0400

Buffer Question?

Bryan

Question

I have a black mustang. It has swirls and light scratches. The car is not very old so that paint in in pretty good condition.

I was wondering if i could get some input on what buffer yall think would work best. The portable cable or the flex? Also what detail kit would work best.

I think i would also do the Adam's Americana Premium Carnauba Paste Car Wax and the Adam's Brilliant Glazee that i saw in a video on a black vette

Thanks,

Bryan

16 answers to this question

When I was new not long ago to polishing, I was told not to get the flex right away. I was told to start with the pc since I was new at machine polishing. I actually was going to order the flex until then and switched to the pc. So I'm a little confused as to why this thread seems to be telling them either one is fine. No biggy thats just the vibe I got when I was new!

I use the PC on mine, and it works great. I am super careful during washing and drying, and this helps me to not have to use the PC very much - any correction I do now is much lighter than that first one!

The first correction (and during which I was learning my technique) was the slowest, and now I have gotten faster with it. Would I need a Flex now? Hmm, not absolutely. Would it speed up the corrections when I do them? Yes. I would feel more confident now about using a Flex after learning on the PC. And yes, the PC is used to apply MSS, so that is a BIG plus for me (I always use MSS on the finish, optionally topping it with BG and Americana).

The PC is easier to learn on IMO. It's not pulling as much do to the lack of forced rotation. That being said, neither of them are difficult. They both have their own place, and the technique to use each is very similar, but not the same.

I prefer the Flex over the PC for correcting, but I also don't have hours to devote to the process. I want to get it done and fast.

The Flex also has the potential to remove more clear due to the forced rotation, which means the PC has the potential to be kinder to your paint.

Chris

Don't think anyone has said thats the case... if you've never machine polished before the PC is still going to be the easier machine to learn with. The Flex is not without its challenges in learning to use appropriately.

The margin for error is still the about the same... unless you really do something stupid the Flex isn't gonna polish you down to primer in a split second or anything, but the technique with the flex is far easier to dial in if you have some prior experience polishing with a machine similar to the PC.

Heres my original post when I was new, and the swaying me to get the PC. Not that it matters, but heres what people were telling me!

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/new-member-check/11031.htm

When I was new not long ago to polishing, I was told not to get the flex right away. I was told to start with the pc since I was new at machine polishing. I actually was going to order the flex until then and switched to the pc. So I'm a little confused as to why this thread seems to be telling them either one is fine. No biggy thats just the vibe I got when I was new!

That's the same vibe I am getting, but it seems like everyone's opinions is different. Probably because of their amount of experience with the machines.

Don't think anyone has said thats the case... if you've never machine polished before the PC is still going to be the easier machine to learn with. The Flex is not without its challenges in learning to use appropriately.

The margin for error is still the about the same... unless you really do something stupid the Flex isn't gonna polish you down to primer in a split second or anything, but the technique with the flex is far easier to dial in if you have some prior experience polishing with a machine similar to the PC.

I agree with Mook. Going from PC to FLEX is the best transition, but you'll still need the PC for applying Machine Super Sealant. The PC is also great with the focus pads for restoring headlights and going into tight areas. I have both and it's a dream to have both of them!

It's been said that if one hasn't had a lot of polishing experience, the PC is certainly easier to learn your technique on. Granted, the Flex you have to learn a little bit how to use first, but if you have the PC first, the learning curve is severely shortened.

:2thumbs:

Bryan I am in the same boat you're in. From all the info I've gathered on these forums it is that the PC and the Flex are the same machine (in theory). While they both will get the job done, the flex will be faster at finishing jobs because it has forced rotation - meaning it will go 5000 rpms on speed setting 5 no matter how much pressure you put on it, and it has a different orbital pattern (I forget where I saw the diagram but the PC is static circular while the flex is circular with the "star" in the middle - it is said that it bridges the gap between a PC and a paint shop buffer). This being said, for a novice (like me) it would be incredibly easy to burn your paint on any textures or bumps in your paint.

You're somewhat misunderstanding the differences between the machines.

The PC purely oscillates, and has a top speed of 6800opm. There is no driven rotation to it at all. So while it will rotate while polishing, its not driven to do so. The centrifugal forces of the oscillating movement throw the pad in a circle, by pressing down you can slow or stop that rotation completely while only marginally bogging the oscillations down.

The Flex combines that oscillating movement with driven rotation. At top speed its also much faster. 9600 opm + 480rpm regardless of pressure put on it.

The Flex produces results faster b/c its a more aggressive tool. Aside from that you also have the fact that it runs with far less vibration than the PC and has a far more ergonomic design which is more comfortable for extended use.

Neither machine has the capability to 'easily' burn paint or strikethru the clear as the oscillating movement doesn't allow for significant enough cut to do either without some misuse or intent behind it.

Bryan I am in the same boat you're in. From all the info I've gathered on these forums it is that the PC and the Flex are the same machine (in theory). While they both will get the job done, the flex will be faster at finishing jobs because it has forced rotation - meaning it will go 5000 rpms on speed setting 5 no matter how much pressure you put on it, and it has a different orbital pattern (I forget where I saw the diagram but the PC is static circular while the flex is circular with the "star" in the middle - it is said that it bridges the gap between a PC and a paint shop buffer). This being said, for a novice (like me) it would be incredibly easy to burn your paint on any textures or bumps in your paint.

Is the flex easy to use for someone that doesnt have alot of experience buffing that paint. I dont want to hurt the paint.

I think that you would be fine, do you have anything (car) that you could practice on? Either machine you will need practice to get down your technique.

Archived