Customer Service 866.965.0400

Polish, pads, tips needed

csrt4

Question

Hi,

I would like to know, how do I know when is it necessary to take a new pad?

When I polish a car and I don't have enought pads to do a complete job,

there's a way you clean the pad to continue using it?

Thanks,

Steve

7 answers to this question

Hi,

I know that the pad take some days to dry and I must use a dry pad, but,

I would like to know, how do I know when is it necessary to take a new pad?

For a normal car, (swirl and hase remover and fine machine polish), normally, how much pads of each I need ?

Steve

Steve,

I've been in this situation before myself. I used a microfiber towel held in one hand pushing against the pad while the polisher is running on low speed. This transfers some of the surface junk on to the towel. See below:

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/M24NiGvBRgQ" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="345" width="420"></iframe>

Does it make it spotless? Nope. Does it allow you to maybe finish the job today? Possibly. Just like one can never have too many MF towels one can also never have too many pads; lesson learned.

BTW: Some people use a hard nylon brush to clean their pads during a correction. I can't make myself put something that hard on a pad that is going to touch my paint.:willy:

As for when to change the pad, I change it when the pad is visibly dirty. If the pad I'm using should be orange and it's looking closer to yellow or white then it is definitely time to swap for a clean pad. Same with the white pad. If it's looking grey or yellow it comes off and a new goes on.

Finally, always take more pads and MF towels than you think you'll need to do the job.

Steve,

I've been in this situation before myself. I used a microfiber towel held in one hand pushing against the pad while the polisher is running on low speed. This transfers some of the surface junk on to the towel. See below:

<IFRAME height=345 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/M24NiGvBRgQ" frameBorder=0 width=420 allowfullscreen=""></IFRAME>

Does it make it spotless? Nope. Does it allow you to maybe finish the job today? Possibly. Just like one can never have too many MF towels one can also never have too many pads; lesson learned.

BTW: Some people use a hard nylon brush to clean their pads during a correction. I can't make myself put something that hard on a pad that is going to touch my paint.:willy:

As for when to change the pad, I change it when the pad is visibly dirty. If the pad I'm using should be orange and it's looking closer to yellow or white then it is definitely time to swap for a clean pad. Same with the white pad. If it's looking grey or yellow it comes off and a new goes on.

Finally, always take more pads and MF towels than you think you'll need to do the job.

Thanks for your answer. A old microfiber can do the job :thumbsup:.

Archived