Customer Service 866.965.0400

A8 detail: Test Phase 3 & 4 complete

AudiOx

Question

Being super-anxious to try out my new Flex, I decided to use the A8 trunk lid as my guinea pig tonight. I originally was going to do a lower panel for less risk, but threw caution to the wind to save my back and have better visibility during the learning process.

Here's the link to Phases 1 & 2 of the detail (long read):

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/wash-dry-clay-bar/13832.htm

Phase 1: "chisel" wash to knock off the mud plus engine wash

Phase 2: second finalizing wash and crack/crevice detail

Phase 3 & 4 test: (work only done to trunk lid)

Elapsed time: 3 hours

-Waterless wash/dry

-Sandwich baggie test

-Clay bar using Detail spray

-Baggie test again and reclay a couple of areas

-Waterless wash/dry

-Tape off trunk area

*I bought some nice non-Adams polish and wax just prior to finding Adam's (literally like 1 week), but the levels are pretty comparable to the SSR, SHR, and the FMP. I did use the Adam's pads.

Polish Order and Passes

I used a 2 spritzes of Detail Spray on the first prime and then just 1 between passes with a small X of polish on the pad like Dylan demonstrated.

-1 learning pass with the Green pad polish (w/ little pressure), setting 5

-1 learning pass with the Orange pad polish (w/ little pressure), setting 5

-Waterless wash and dry for inspection. Hmmm need either more passes or better technique or a little of both

-1 better pass with Green w/ 9-14lbs, setting 5

-2 better passes with Orange w/ 9-14lbs, setting 5

-Waterless wash and dry for inspection. Still a few visible microscratches mostly around the perimeter of the trunk.

-Localized pass with Orange on a few more obvious areas

-Waterless wash

-1 pass with the White pad polish w/9-14lbs, setting 3

-Waterless wash and inspect. Close enough for now.

-Sealant applied with foam applicator and removed after haze formed

-Wax applied with foam applicator and removed

I definitely took my time just as with the other steps.

Everything didn't come out, but it's worlds better, perhaps 90-95% correction. It was all swirls before and now you can count them. There was one deeper scratch I'll try the 4" focus pad on next.

:help:I'm still not sure whether I'm working the polish enough or too much. Perhaps I don't know what a thin film of Vaseline looks like.

:help:Plus it sure is a challenge getting in the corners. Do you just hand polish those areas after you are done? It seems even a focus pad would have a tough time in some areas.

PRE-INSPECTION AFTER WATERLESS WASH: Swirls a'plenty

audiox-albums613-3184.jpg

MASKING after Clay bar

audiox-albums613-3185.jpg

AFTER:

audiox-albums613-3186.jpg

AFTER Closeup

audiox-albums613-3187.jpg

:willy:I only thought this hobby was addicting after following the forums and watching the videos. However, now that I've done my first panel, every little microscratch bugs me. It's the endless pursuit of paint perfection. :willy:

I feel the night was a success despite not achieving perfection.

9 answers to this question

Making progress a panel at a time. Boy, I'm slow, and I'm using a Flex staying as close to Junkman's recommended pace as possible...........:banana:Her name was Lola, she was showgirl..... :banana:.

Correction Process: (assuming only minor dust on car)

Setup Area (lights, power, etc) and Set out equipment

A. Waterless Wash and dry panel

B. Mask off trim with the green tape

C. Clay panel using detail spray and leave residue

D. 1 pass medium polish with green pad

E. 1-2 passes standard polish with orange pad (depending on area)

F. 1 pass fine polish

G. Buff off residue, inspect and make mental notes of future rework

H. Add sealant and buff off after haze forms

I. Add paste wax and buff off

J. Remove tape, buff off overshoot residue around tape

Clean pads and clean up work area

Done:

9/13 Tues: 1st 'chisel' wash, engine detail, wheel well detail ~3hrs

9/15: Thu: Door/trunk wells detail, 2nd final wash ~1hr

Correction:

9/15 Thu: Top of trunk lid, 2hrs

9/18 Sun: Hood+Dr.Colorchip'd, 4hrs+1hr (incl. 1hr polish rework)

9/21 Wed: Roof, A and C pillars (C pillars need more), 4hrs

~15hrs so far

Still gotta do the sides, nose, and tail, focus work, interior, and dressing.

I was real careful on the curves of A and C pillars to make sure I didn't apply too much pressure at the tangents. That's most likely why I have to redo the C pillars; I was too conservative.

Any tips on this? :help:

My 4" focus pads just arrived so I can touch up areas with my drill, so that will definately help the A pillars and the few larger scratches I couldn't get.

:drool: Man does the paint feel good on the areas I've worked despite not getting 100% correction. It's hard to describe. The paint feels thicker and almost soft now, almost like a hard gel. Gets me all giddy to touch it......the paint that is. ;)

Yeah, smooth clean polished and waxed paint really lets you feel the lines of the car.

Most people never get to have their finish this smooth or nice. Checking and rechecking your claying makes this kind of finish possible, in my opinion.

That last after shot closeup is killer. Look how clear the paint is - really beautiful job.

Watch the RPMs on the drill with the 4" pads, not real fast, and keep it moving, esp. since we don't know how abrasive the other polishes are.

Also, I believe that you were commenting on being a 'slow detailer' haha - we all are until we improve bit by bit.

I suspect (not proven to me, but you might check) that you also have one of the harder clear coats from Europe so that you have to work more to get the swirls out.

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/machine-polishing/5480.htm#post90942

Watch the RPMs on the drill with the 4" pads, not real fast, and keep it moving, esp. since we don't know how abrasive the other polishes are.

Noted. I'll probably be so exhausted by the time I get all the panels corrected with the Flex, I won't want to break out the 4".

Also, I believe that you were commenting on being a 'slow detailer' haha - we all are until we improve bit by bit.

I'm definitely getting faster and more comfortable with it. I don't think my polishing is that slow. It's just all the setup, cleanup, and the other dozen or so steps that make it all add up.

I suspect (not proven to me, but you might check) that you also have one of the harder clear coats from Europe so that you have to work more to get the swirls out.

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/machine-polishing/5480.htm#post90942

I missed this last part of your post the first time I read it. Sorry for the delay.

Very interesting. I'm not surprised, especially after working on the rear quarter panel last night. I was getting no where and just gave up as it was already 1am. I went ahead, bit the bullet, and bought some SSR, SHR, and FMP so I can have an apples-to-apples comparison, and others on here can be more informed to answer questions.

Thanks.

Made some progress tonight.

Now that my frustration with the rear quarter panel has subsided from last week, I decided to work the front quarters tonight.

I worked the driver's side for a bit with the Flex: 2x SSR, 2x SHR, 2x FMP and then some focus pad work on some of the remaining scratches with another pass with the Flex of FMP. I couldn't seem to make much progress with those scratches similar to my issues with the rear quarter panel. After my final inspection, I figured I wasn't getting anywhere.

So I move on to the passenger side. After getting it waterless washed, clayed and buffed for inspection, I was shocked at all the swirls, and immediately went back to the other side to compare. The 2 sides were night and day. Yes there are a handful of stubborn, long scratches that remained on the driver's side, but it was otherwise like a mirror! :rockon: Now I had confidence to finish the passenger front quarter. Perhaps at some point I'll work those scratches out, but lemme get everything else corrected first.

+3.5hrs

Correction Progress to date:

Trunk

Hood

Roof, A pillars, C pillars

Front quarter panels

I wish I had a whole weekend to knock this out. These 10pm-1:30am sessions are grueling.

P.S. As I went to move my wife's white convertible back in the garage I caught the moon's reflection in the paint pretty well. Swirls galore! Yuck! I have my Fall projects all lined up it seems.

Archived