Customer Service 866.965.0400

Plasti-Dipped my wheels...

the1inblue

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I tried everything...plasti-dip sucks..it wont stay on my rims. I let it dry for 12 hrs. I went to wipe them down to clean them from a rain shower that occurred early this morning and it pulled right off as I wiped them down.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Well I tried everything...plasti-dip sucks..it wont stay on my rims. I let it dry for 12 hrs. I went to wipe them down to clean them from a rain shower that occurred early this morning and it pulled right off as I wiped them down.

Oh wow. Did you prep them before spraying?

When I did mine, I cleaned the rims with soap and water, then wiped down with rubbing alcohol to remove any finger prints, grease, etc.

You gotta really coat those things. For a 20" wheel, you're looking at "minimum" 1 full can per rim. Probably 3-4 full coats at least.

:iagree: you beat me to it

:cheers: Just waiting on what was said from the OP :thumbsup:

Pictures coming soon..that is all for now lol

OP, how exactly did you strip them to bare metal? Did you sand? Did you wipe it down with alcohol before applying the plasti dip?

I stripped them with aircraft remover and sanded them down. I sprayed them by taping off the tires. Don't have alot of money to remove them. So after several coats it didn't hold up to touching. I decided I would paint them instead. Which turned out great. I used the wheel paint from Auto Zone. Primer, Paint and Cleared.Sorry for being late with pictures It has been hell the past two days. I have which of other things going on. Ill take some tomorrow.

Edit: BTW I purchased the plasti-dip from Lowes Hardware.

Oh wow. Did you prep them before spraying?

When I did mine, I cleaned the rims with soap and water, then wiped down with rubbing alcohol to remove any finger prints, grease, etc.

You gotta really coat those things. For a 20" wheel, you're looking at "minimum" 1 full can per rim. Probably 3-4 full coats at least.

BTW this wasn't on my Camaro but my DD which is 99 Isuzu Rodeo LS which came stock with 15 inch aluminum rims.

Archived