Customer Service 866.965.0400

Any recommendations on speakers?

Marylander

Hi all --

Can anyone recommend a good set of full range 4 inch speakers? I have an old japanese car with an old head unit and I just want to replace the original speakers. I'm not looking to add an amp, subs, or anything like that... I just want to improve the sound coming out of the existing setup. Anyone have any favorable opinions on any particular brands or models?

I'm a big Boston Acoustics fan...or at least I was of their order products. There newer offerings don't seem to be of the same quality as their older Pro Series products, but they are still a pretty good bang for the buck.

They WERE 100% made in the USA, I'm not sure about now though.

Guest Gone & Forgotten

Check Crutchfield for fitment, then price range you want, then read OWNER reviews - look for people that state "I put these in my 2005 Honda Civic" or whatever model you have.

It should be law that when you write a review on speakers for your car, you HAVE to put what car and where at in the car. Speakers that sound great in that Honda might sound like blah in another car.

Also, a little Dynamat, even under the mounting area of the speaker, helps alot.

Then go to Amazon and buy the speakers for half of what Crutchfield charges - unless you want the goodies like instructions and wiring harnesses for the speakers for free.

I'm looking at some HiFonics (made by same maker as MBQuartz and other higher end speakers) for the doors of the Camaro - great reviews and $55 on Amazon for 6.5" with 1" satellites and crossovers.

4 inch speakers are on the smaller side of the scales. I personally wouldn't pour a ton of money into a pair as you will still be limited by cone and magnet size. I'd look in the under 100 range on crutchfield and go for a brand you like :)

Defintely look at Crutchfield.

There customer service, selection and quality of products is on par with the very best of them. Their prices are not the very best around - far from it, truth be told - but they win in pretty much every other area.

I've been using Crutchfiled for almost 10 years now and I refer to them as the Adam's Premium Car Care of the electronics industry.

Five stars!

I agree, I've always had great experiences with Crutchfield, and I'd reward their service even if the speakers were a few bucks more than amazon or whatever -- it'd probably only be a range of about 10 bucks or so for the type of speakers i'm looking for.

That said, Rockford fosgate speakers seem to get good reviews, but I wonder how many of those come from kids that just want volume and noise? I had Boston Acustics in a prior car but they didn't seem to have much low punch (considering their size). Might give them another try, though.

So, I'm still all ears (no pun intended) as to input from the forum. :thumbsup:

Price range for the pair? Do you have an aftermarket headunit or better yet, an amplified setup?

It's a completely original, bone stock, 1-owner (before me) 1985 MR2. It has the original cassette deck, which I'm inclined to keep -- I really don't want to tear up this little guy. So really, it's just better, newer speakers I want to drop in to freshen up the sound. Price really isn't an issue for the pair; I can't imagine I'd be looking at more than $100.

Alpine SPS-410 Type S 4" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

Alpine is not bad. The S series I had in my car I blew but that was because I had about 50-60 watts going to each and that toasted them. Those would be more than capable for what you want and might be a bit much. You shouldn't spend much money IMO in that cars stereo because you just need sound and I bet you are barely getting 5-7 watts to each speaker.

Alpine SPS-410 Type S 4" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

Alpine is not bad. The S series I had in my car I blew but that was because I had about 50-60 watts going to each and that toasted them. Those would be more than capable for what you want and might be a bit much. You shouldn't spend much money IMO in that cars stereo because you just need sound and I bet you are barely getting 5-7 watts to each speaker.

Those look like they might fit the bill perfectly. I'll look more into those. :2thumbs:

Archived