Customer Service 866.965.0400

Anyone here detail cars for a living?

jub jub

Question

In the back of my mind I keep toying with the idea of starting my own business because...well, I'm sick and tired of sitting on my *** all day working for someone else. I enjoy detailing my car and I think it would be rewarding to take a nice car that has been neglected and make it look better than showroom new.

With that being said, if some of you could just share what your experiences have been like, both good and bad, in the detailing business, I would enjoy reading what you have to say.

19 answers to this question

If thats a passion of yours and your tired of sitting around and you have the extra cash to take the chance of starting up your own business....I say go for it.

There are alot of people who don't want or just do not have the time to do their own vehicles. :burnout:

Work is always a better place if your doing something you enjoy. :cheers:

i detail for a living, it,s hard work but ten years has past and i,ve just opened

a detailing workshop so i reckon i,m in it this business for many more years to come,

as long as you prepared to work hard and clean the crap cars in order to build your

business if your good at it your customers will not only return but they will refer you to

others.

i,m mobile myself, now with premises as i want a base plus winter is taking hold in the u.k

i spent three years building my rep and now most of my work is by word of mouth, but i still spend time speaking to people and promoting what i do, you have to give jo public a reason as to why they should spend money with you and not use the cheap bucket and

no grit guard sponge using fella,s down the road if you see what i mean, if your a pro promote yourself as such

A friend of mine has been using the same guy for several years. $99.00 for what he calls a full detail.

It's a wash and wax. Clean the carpets and wipe down the interior.

I showed him with a plastic bag what his BMW feels like and what my truck feels like. He was astonished... I may have another customer...

There is definitely work out there. But with the economy, lots of people are holding their money a little closer than usual.

If it were me, I'd start out part time, evenings and weekends, get the word around. Not only that you are in business, but begin to build a reputation. Get insurance.

Anyway, Good Luck with it. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

A friend of mine has been using the same guy for several years. $99.00 for what he calls a full detail.

It's a wash and wax. Clean the carpets and wipe down the interior.

I showed him with a plastic bag what his BMW feels like and what my truck feels like. He was astonished... I may have another customer...

There is definitely work out there. But with the economy, lots of people are holding their money a little closer than usual.

If it were me, I'd start out part time, evenings and weekends, get the word around. Not only that you are in business, but begin to build a reputation. Get insurance.

Anyway, Good Luck with it. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

That's what I'm thinking...:2thumbs:

that's exactly what I plan on doing.

around there the only place to get your car "cleaned" is either an automatic car wash or those do it yourself bays.

Sounds like you have a good handle on what to do and how to do it.

There's a lot to be said for jumping into something full force. Sink or swim kind of thing. With today's economy and responsibilities at home, most people can't afford to go head long into something and hope it pans out. I started my lawn care company part time. It's stayed part time. I enjoy it, but I don't want to do it 10 or 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. Cutting grass has gone away and been replaced with Hydro Seeding. That has been a real $ maker. Still part time. I do it because I enjoy it. I only take on the work I want to do. It's awesome.

Good Luck with your decision. :rockon::rockon::rockon:

Thanks for the replies. I've gathered some new information and decided it's not for me. I was curious about it though.

I have a good job so I'll just be happy with it until they let me go or I retire.

It's always good to dream though. Hmmm...maybe I could be an Adam's dealer! :D

Can you in the biz elaborate about the insurance? Type, cost? Thank you!

I was referring to General Liability Insurance.

The cost varies greatly depending on what you do and where you do it.

If you have a need for it, call you insurance company and get a quote.

Then check with 3 or 4 others. :thumbsup: You may be surprised at the different quotes you get. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Get the quotes for the same coverage(s)

I also wonder what it would be like to be an Adams dealer...anyone? what exactly do you do? its not door to door sales, right?

Really, I would like to detail cars for a living, but I dont think it would support the lifestyle I want any time soon (the whole idea of having to build-up a reputation and customer base just wont work for me). Plus, just as a little recon I asked my co-workers what they would be willing to pay for a wash, dry, clay, wax, vac and shine...they all agreed that "$35-50" would be appropriate...needless to say, they are out of touch...

Thanks for the replies. I've gathered some new information and decided it's not for me. I was curious about it though.

I have a good job so I'll just be happy with it until they let me go or I retire.

It's always good to dream though. Hmmm...maybe I could be an Adam's dealer! :D

There is a guy in Birdsboro PA(not far from me).

Wash and wax + vacuum the interior. Nothing else. $99.00 for an existing customer. $150.00 for a new one.

That is his sole income and he does quite well... There are a ton of people out there, to busy/lazy to wash their own transportation. :thumbsup:

I keep toying with the idea of detailing cars for a living. I have many concerns, but it still interests me. The other day I parked next to a Lambo that has been neglected, but is not beyond repair. There were swirls, nasty rims, hazy glass, etc...nothing too major. I thought to myself that it would be sweet to get the chance to correct that car's problems, and that I should just ask the owner what he thought about paying for some TLC for his car. Then, a scary thought hit me. What if he said "yes"? What if there are crazy things that I dont know about when it comes to correcting high-end cars? What if Im supposed to avoid something that I never even think about when doing my own vehicles, etc. Basically, the fear of the unknown. I guess that's what insurance is for, but still, I would hate to screw something up....

I wonder, can you pros out there share some tips that you only come by with experience? Like, actual techniques and what to avoid, etc...

Thanks

I keep toying with the idea of detailing cars for a living. I have many concerns, but it still interests me. The other day I parked next to a Lambo that has been neglected, but is not beyond repair. There were swirls, nasty rims, hazy glass, etc...nothing too major. I thought to myself that it would be sweet to get the chance to correct that car's problems, and that I should just ask the owner what he thought about paying for some TLC for his car. Then, a scary thought hit me. What if he said "yes"? What if there are crazy things that I dont know about when it comes to correcting high-end cars? What if Im supposed to avoid something that I never even think about when doing my own vehicles, etc. Basically, the fear of the unknown. I guess that's what insurance is for, but still, I would hate to screw something up....

I wonder, can you pros out there share some tips that you only come by with experience? Like, actual techniques and what to avoid, etc...

Thanks

What I did was to read as much as I possibly could: Information on what products work best and when, etc. I even found a junked up car for $500 to practice with my rotary polisher. Then, even though I only detailed on weekends, I printed a TON of business cards - when I was in a parking lot somewhere, I would slip the cards underneath the wiper blade of a few cars that really needed some attention...nothing high end...just daily drivers and the like. I also went around to used car lots as well: the money wasn't good at all, but at least I knew I was gaining experience.

After a while, I built up enough confidence in myself to start putting my cards on higher end cars and kept refining my technique even further and still kept reading as much as I could absorb.

The first car I detailed for a real, paying customer (about a year and a half ago) was a Honda Civic...next weekend I'm booked to do a Maserati Gran Sport. The day after that - I'm doing a simple wash and wax for that same Honda Civic I started on. It comes down to attitude, confidence, and pride in your work: if you can show customers those three things, they'll always come back to you and they'll always speak highly of you :)