Customer Service 866.965.0400

Overspray on Rims

Franklin's Bee

Question

Hey guys, i got my car from the shop and they didnt care enough to shield the rims from being sprayed on, now i have cleaned them and clayed it (with an old one if your wondering :D ) and they still feel really rough. Now i really dont want to use my pads and SHR remover, Any suggestions?

-Alex

5 answers to this question

Painted or some type of metal rims?

Clay is the first choice.

Then maybe hand apply some SHR, followed with FMP on painted/cleared wheels.

Metal wheels you could try some metal polish.

ORRRRRRRRrrrrrrr go back to the shop kicking and screaming and have them fix it on their dime.

Patience working the clay is necessary for removing paint overspray. It doesn't wipe right off but will usually come off very slowly.

All Purpose Cleaner may also help with this... but DON'T use it while doing the clay. APC will destroy the clay.

I had black over spray on a door jamb on the velocity yellow vette, must have been there from the factory. I was able to remove it using the clay, but it was not fast, it probably took at least 5-10 times longer than a typical clay process would take (when just doing a general detail job).

Painted or some type of metal rims?

Clay is the first choice.

Then maybe hand apply some SHR, followed with FMP on painted/cleared wheels.

Metal wheels you could try some metal polish.

ORRRRRRRRrrrrrrr go back to the shop kicking and screaming and have them fix it on their dime.

I don't know about going back to the paint shop to have them remove the over spray. They may use some very harsh chemicals.

I'd let them know the over spray problem and fix it myself, just my .02 worth.

Archived