Customer Service 866.965.0400

Which wax is best?

rcode99

Question

Adams make several so which offers the best protection, and then shine? I get the impression that the buttery wax is great but doesn't last as long as the Americana. There are so many videos and comments from helpful readers that it gets a little confusing. Thanks.

Longevity (most to least):

Machine Super Sealant

Americana

Buttery

Brilliant Glaze

I live near the beach, and have a 'marine' environment, which means brass corrodes even indoors (over time) and there are marine fogs, and onshore breezes of various kinds along with the strong SoCal sun. I work inland in Santa Ana, and it can get pretty hot there. I have seen temps there of over 100 degrees last summer, and the surface temp. on my black paint was beyond what my hands could stand! My vehicle is a Daily Driver and lives outside 100% of the time. I usually wash it every weekend (Adam's Car Shampoo and dry with DS mist!).

With all this said, I use Machine Super Sealant on the vehicle and get many months of protection, >3 months for sure, even nearly 6 months (shame on me) with beading still going on. I also will top it with BG and Americana for a very nice look, but if I had to choose one (the longest lasting single product) it would have to be MSS. I have also heard that 2 coats of Americana is pretty close to Machine Super Sealant, but have not tested that yet (yet!). :)

You might find this helpful:

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/waxing-glazing-sealing/13636.htm

Your Last Step Product (LSP) should be chosen based on your criteria for what you're trying to achieve. Below are some outlined characteristics to help you understand what each products strengths are.

•  
  • SEALANTS - Products like Adam's MSS or the soon to be introduced Spray Sealant are synthetic. They contain no naturally occurring 'wax' but many people will still refer to them as a wax. Sealants are typically more durable than a naturally occurring wax due to their overall higher melting point and detergent resistance. Products like these are typically the best choice for someone seeking the longest lasting protection for their paint. Sealants are also typically known for very bright, reflective, mirror like, shines. They tend to lack the depth/wetness of a natural wax but still give very intensely reflective shine.

• GLAZES - Products like Adam's BG are excellent for enhancing gloss on a finish and are actually made using some carnuba wax. The drawback is that due to their composition glazes are not intended to provide protection. They are highly susceptible to heat and detergents, meaning that glazes alone, though good for paint enhancement in a hurry, are not long term solutions for protection. Use glazes in conjunction with sealants or waxes for better results and protection.

• BASIC CARNUBA - This is a term that is very familiar to most detailing enthusiasts and car nuts in general, but its also widely misunderstood. Carnuba is a naturally occurring wax harvested from a variety of different palms and can come in varying grades. Typically the quality/grade of the wax dictates the durability, ease of application, and how it will enhance a cars finish. Liquid waxes on average utilize a lower grade yellow carnuba, which is relatively inexpensive and generally easy to apply. Adam's Buttery Wax for example utilizes these types of waxes, blended with other ingredients resulting in an easy to apply, easy to remove, 'quick' liquid wax. The trade off for these characteristics are lowered heat/detergent resistance and slightly less enhancement to the paint as compared to waxes made with higher grade carnuba.

• PREMIUM CARNUBA - On the other hand Adam's Americana Paste Wax is comprised of the highest grade of carnuba available. This specific type of carnuba is chosen for its higher heat and detergent resistance. In addition with the physical particles of wax being substantially larger than its lower grade cousins this wax will provide more enhancement of depth and gloss on dark paint. These characteristics are more exaggerated on black and dark colors, but are present on any color the wax is applied to.

GENERALLY, MSS lasts longest, then Americana, then Buttery.

HOW LONG is almost impossible to determine since it really depends on your environment and how you treat your car. Wash it every day and let it sit outside in the sun while you're at work? Nothing is going to last too long. Let it sit in your a/c-ed garage and drive it for 2 hours every other week? Any product could last "forever."

Appearance seems to be a matter of personal preference. MY opinion is that Americana is best on the the silver vette, MSS is better on the DD Colorado (which sits outside 24/7, so longevity is more important that out and out appearance).

Each has their strength and weakness.

Adams make several so which offers the best protection, and then shine? I get the impression that the buttery wax is great but doesn't last as long as the Americana. There are so many videos and comments from helpful readers that it gets a little confusing. Thanks.

I agree :iagree: The Americana shines the most,but not sure which lasts the longest the paint sealant or the Americana ???? :help::help::help:

Archived