Customer Service 866.965.0400

Is this fixable?

Arpawocky

Question

14 answers to this question

That is actually oxidation/failure where its begun to flake away... and as the saying goes - "you can't polish what isn't there"

Taking the machine to that would definitely even it out a great deal, but you won't be able to 100% fix something like that with any method short of a repaint.

That is actually oxidation/failure where its begun to flake away... and as the saying goes - "you can't polish what isn't there"

Taking the machine to that would definitely even it out a great deal, but you won't be able to 100% fix something like that with any method short of a repaint.

:iagree:

I wouldn't run the PC or Flex over this without having a way to remove all the flaking clear coat. Pieces flaking off and then getting rotated around your paint... not a pretty picture.

This to me is even further than just junkman's wet sanding videos. You are talking about EVENLY taking the clearcoat off the entire roof and then having to reclearcoat the roof. That is a task for a paint shop my friend. I know we are all about DIY but if you care at all about this car (or the friends car) then you shouldn't try to do this, more than likely you will get it uneven and then you will have to clear coat the roof. Do you have a paint gun/booth for this? Clear out of a can is not what you want for a job like this.

I'm toying with the idea of a Carbon Vinyl Wrap over it versus repainting.

Carbon Fiber Wrap - Carbon Fiber Vinyl - DINOC Carbon Fiber Vinyl Wrap

Would I need to do any surface prep to the damaged clear coat before applying this?

Thanks for the replies, and Junkman, your videos are great :cool:

I think that's a really good option if the owner is up for it. Looks pretty cool.

Can't help you much on the technique. I'm sure you would want the surface smooth with no raised edges from clearcoat. It is 8.5mils which is fairly thick, but you'd hate to see/feel edges from the bad clear underneath. They say 3-4yrs for outdoor use; not bad. Certainly worth looking into. Not sure how a future buyer might like it, but you could always repaint later.

Archived