Customer Service 866.965.0400

Question on IPA

07RS4

Question

Ok, so there is alot of talk on other car care forums about IPA in concentrations above 10% swelling the paint and/or in some cases causing hazing on the clear coat. I've used (and recommended) the 70/30 mix that is widely recommended on this site.

I'd rather hear it from you as opposed to others, and actually educate myself on this subject. What is the actual truth to the proper IPA mixture?

8 answers to this question

I feel you Matt..but like you I'm looking for facts. I use the 70/30, but only on like 5 veicles so far with no issues. But from what I read, others on multiple sites have stated that they've had issues with high concentrations. You know how forums are, you have to wade through all the opinions and seperate the facts from fiction.

Hopefully AJ gets us something :)

The 10% number comes from some respected sources (chemists) and a general statement for **any** paint system. However, many detailers have used 50/50 or even higher without any obvious issues for quite some time and you just do see reports from many (at least they are not admitting it) that their paint fell off or something.

As bunky stated, you won't hear of many IPA wipe down related paint issues simply b/c it doesn't happen. Even at full strength its just not likely to have any impact.

I regularly use 70% (right out of the bottle) partially b/c I don't want to fuss with dilutions and I can just use it right out of the bottle. It also means I know nothing is left behind.

When you start trying to find the 'minimum' you can use theres going to be that point where it doesn't strip something. I'd rather just go the easiest route thats positively going to strip the finish by simply slapping a sprayer on the bottle rather than worrying about dilution.

Areas for concern would be the following:

• High surface heat. Its never a good idea to spray ANYTHING on a hot panel as chemicals react very differently when rapidly heated.

• Single stage paint. I have seen some cases where a single stage paint job will slightly haze/oxidize if hit with highly concentrated alcohol.

• Freshly finished panels. If a car has been painted recently and hasn't completed its full 'cure time' I'd dilute to be safe. Until its fully cured paint and clear are fairly delicate.

As bunky stated, you won't hear of many IPA wipe down related paint issues simply b/c it doesn't happen. Even at full strength its just not likely to have any impact.

I regularly use 70% (right out of the bottle) partially b/c I don't want to fuss with dilutions and I can just use it right out of the bottle. It also means I know nothing is left behind.

When you start trying to find the 'minimum' you can use theres going to be that point where it doesn't strip something. I'd rather just go the easiest route thats positively going to strip the finish by simply slapping a sprayer on the bottle rather than worrying about dilution.

Areas for concern would be the following:

• High surface heat. Its never a good idea to spray ANYTHING on a hot panel as chemicals react very differently when rapidly heated.

• Single stage paint. I have seen some cases where a single stage paint job will slightly haze/oxidize if hit with highly concentrated alcohol.

• Freshly finished panels. If a car has been painted recently and hasn't completed its full 'cure time' I'd dilute to be safe. Until its fully cured paint and clear are fairly delicate.

Well, that's good enough for me. I've been doing what you stated and recommending that to the new folks on the forum. I just wanted to be sure I was relaying the correct information. I usually dont recommend stuff unless I've tried it at some point, and the 70/30 I've used without any issues. But forum's sometime put doubt in your mind, and got me thinking about it.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. If you've never had any issues with as many vehicles that you detail, then the truth is in the experience.

Archived