Customer Service 866.965.0400

Can Anyone Tell Me What This Is?

Luken10

Question

I have started to do some work on my car in order to get it to look as good as it can for a 10+ year old paint job. I started off doing some wet sanding to get rid of some minor scratches, then i followed up with SSHR. However I was having a hard time getting rid of all the 3000 grit scratches, so I did MANY passes. Under closer inspection of the paint I saw weird discoloration in some places. It was like spotting under the clear, almost like a leopard print in some places. At first I had thought that i had broken through the clear from wet sanding :help:, but I started noticing it in more areas. Most noticeably where I did a lot of the SSHR. In some spots I probably did 5-6 passes with both the focus pad and larger pad.

Does anyone have a clue as to what this is? Is it my clear coat? Please excuse all the micro marring, haven't followed up with SHR yet.

Here is a link to a much larger version of the photo in case you can't see it in the one below. In the picture it looks like the spots are on the surface, but it is definitely under it. Thanks for the help guys!:cheers:

img0214gc.jpg

11 answers to this question

So just extremely tiny cracks in the clear coat allowing moisture to come through? Well that's a bummer. :mad: The hood of the car has tiny little cracks everywhere, kind of looks like a baby chicken walked all over it. Not really that noticeable, but in the right light they are definitely there. I wonder if this means it is happening to the rest of the car. I didn't check the hood for the spots, so I will have to do that.

Does this also mean my clear coat is most likely very thin? The more I try to improve this car, the more things I find wrong with it! :willy:

So just extremely tiny cracks in the clear coat allowing moisture to come through? Well that's a bummer. :mad: The hood of the car has tiny little cracks everywhere, kind of looks like a baby chicken walked all over it. Not really that noticeable, but in the right light they are definitely there. I wonder if this means it is happening to the rest of the car. I didn't check the hood for the spots, so I will have to do that.

Does this also mean my clear coat is most likely very thin? The more I try to improve this car, the more things I find wrong with it! :willy:

Bummer, Wish I wasn't right this time... This damage usually happens to the upper panels, Hood, roof, deck lid because they are more prone to heat and elements,and expansion and contraction. Sometimes it is to much build up of paint and sometimes it is a repaint over a paint job that had this going on and the solvents in the new clear attack the cracks and actually accelerate the problem. Unfortunately the only cure is stripping. Your sides of your car are likely ok. Buffing will help temporarily, but it will keep coming back

You think that's bad I just got my car back from the dealer's bodyshop after having my stripes painted on and I got those on the bumper and quarter panels.....check this one out!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

:willy: That does look the same! And your paint is very new! Hopefully mine won't end up like that. :xfingers:

After polishing the ride, I noticed that I have this crap under my clear coat in certain areas. My paint is not cracked though. What else could cause this? I was thinking maybe that it is under a layer of wax I put on the car awhile back.

I don't know if it's just my eyes playing tricks on me be I swear in the sun the spots with the problem look a little duller than the rest of the paint. Have you noticed that at all?

I don't know if it's just my eyes playing tricks on me be I swear in the sun the spots with the problem look a little duller than the rest of the paint. Have you noticed that at all?

I have to look at the hood at an angle to see these spots. I can see them in my garage with very little light.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

You think that's bad I just got my car back from the dealer's bodyshop after having my stripes painted on and I got those on the bumper and quarter panels.....check this one out!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Ouch!! Is that on the new Camaro? I bet the shop had something to do with that.. wet plastic to protect from overspray that may have sat too long.

Archived