Customer Service 866.965.0400

Waste of Product?

egott_91

Question

Well, it's supposed to be in the low 50's today and after our snow the truck got literally caked in salt. Only thing I had protecting it was a coat of buttery wax that was probably a few months old. So, I was thinking about completely stripping everything off the truck with a wash today and then using the new quick sealant and a coat of either buttery or Americana. The thing is, the truck isn't corrected. Do you guys think it's a waste to seal the paint if it's not corrected yet (will be in the spring) or do you think it would be smart to protect it as much as possible even though the paint is swirl city? Also, with it being winter and salt and crap getting on the windshield practically everyday I have to use washer fluid to get rid of that crap. So again, would it be a waste to seal the glass?

Just trying to figure out the best way to approach this. Thanks guys!

14 answers to this question

It's never a waste to protect your paint from the elements. Especially if you are going to have good weather today. Who cares about it being corrected for now.

Mix 3 oz of APC into your Car Shampoo/water mix in your bucket. That will strip off any remaining wax, and also allow you some extra cleaning power for the junk that's on there now. Wait about a half hour before you layer anything over the Quick Sealant.

The glass is tricky. I mean if you seal all your glass, clearly, wiper fluid isn't hitting all your windows. Just the windshield. Therefore, you may have to apply the Glass Sealant a little more frequently to the windshield itself depending on how much the stuff in your fluid tank strips the Glass Sealant. Remember to clay your glass first.

Mook

I don't think its a waste at all. Despite the paint not being corrected you want to protect it anyway until you get to spring. Even if its not corrected, its still paint, and paint needs protection from harmful the byproducts of winter such as salt. I have the same issue, the Jeep I just bought is swirl city but I am still going to protect it until spring when I can do a full correction. On with the SHINE!

Alright, here's what I spent all day doing! Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics. Not a fan of how the winter wheels look, but they sure do better than the stock wheels in the winter. Lol.

Here's what I began with:

636f56cf.jpg

18da625f.jpg

126c1e42.jpg

All washed:

52d36613.jpg

f3b00e5d.jpg

436b36ac.jpg

Clayed, glass cleaned, quick sealant, SVRT on tires and wheel wells and bed cover, and buttery:

6c6c96f2.jpg

6a359133.jpg

7fb18f8e.jpg

And my English Bulldog, Bentley, decided he wanted to help a little...

a33ed107.jpg

Nothing like having a clean ride during the winter season when everyone else is lazy and just washes it after the season is over!

Very nice looking ride!

Bentley is ADORABLE!

The guys at work last night busted me , they came up to me to ask if I was sick because my truck was dirty. I told them that I had to go to the dentist and got to bed late and ran out of time!:help::D

Its clean now though!:drool:;)

Bentley's a beast.

Very nice work, and watch slowly as it all fades away :(

Yeah, he's pretty awesome. Lol. He weighs in at 85 lbs last thing I knew.

Ugh! Don't be telling me that! Lol. But I already knew that. I needed to get some protection on it though and decided to just go a little further.

So that's what me daily would look like without the ZQ8 wheels. I've considered a different setup for the winter. Truth is, it is almost worthless with any amount of snow or ice on the ground with the stock 50 series tires and light weight. Got lucky this year and the neighbor was selling a 99 Silverado 1500 4x4 for a reasonable price so I picked it up for the winter... and to better hone my my detailing skills. 202K and I don't think it's every been inside or waxed. :help: It'll never be perfect obviously, but I'm curious to see what I can do with it.

So that's what me daily would look like without the ZQ8 wheels. I've considered a different setup for the winter. Truth is, it is almost worthless with any amount of snow or ice on the ground with the stock 50 series tires and light weight. Got lucky this year and the neighbor was selling a 99 Silverado 1500 4x4 for a reasonable price so I picked it up for the winter... and to better hone my my detailing skills. 202K and I don't think it's every been inside or waxed. :help: It'll never be perfect obviously, but I'm curious to see what I can do with it.

Yeah. I definitely prefer the ZQ8 wheels but last winter was my first winter with the truck and they couldn't do crap with the 50 series tire. I even had a pretty good amount of weight in the bed to help with traction but it didn't do anything. These tuck in more to the wheel wells do they look a little weird looking down the side of the truck, but oh well. Not concerned about looks right though. I'd rather get through snow than the truck looking good right now.

And my English Bulldog, Bentley, decided he wanted to help a little...

a33ed107.jpg

We luv bullies, owned two so far but currently in between bullies, both were girls but I've been thinking about getting a boy if not one of each next time around.

Great job on the ride...

Archived