Customer Service 866.965.0400

Bak Industries - Tonneau Covers

Z71_Denali

So i was out searching for a bed cover a couple weeks ago. i looked at hard covers, soft covers, folding covers, and roll up covers. a couple of things i was looking for were:

• easy installation
  • easy access to the bed
  • low profile
  • Made in the USA

i searched high and low. i immediately through out the soft covers because, i had one on my previous truck and the vinyl stretched and became loose over time. i also through out the hard covers because you can't really haul much in the bed with one open. so now i had to find either a rolling or folding cover. after looking at several rolling covers, i came to realize the American made ones were out of my price range.

this is when i found the BakFlip hard folding tonneau cover. it met all my priorites, with its no drill installation, 100% access to the bed when folded up, low profile when closed, and most importantly Made in the USA!

i was originally going to buy their Bakflip HD model, but after christmas an online dealer was selling them for 15% off and free shipping, so i was able to get their top of the line F1 model for the same price as their standard G2 model.

The BakFlip F1 is the benchmark when it comes to tonneau covers. There is no make, style, brand or design of tonneau cover that meets the level of brilliance that the mighty BakFlip F1 exudes. Beginning with the unique full-access design that only the BakFlip tonneau cover can offer, we've implemented every refinement and upgrade imaginable to compliment this king of tonneau covers.

The bakFlip F1 has an impact resistant top surface made from FRP (Fiberglass reinforced polymer). It can handle the most severe temperatures (both hot and cold) and will never fade, tarnish, crack or deteriorate over time. It will handle a hammer or hail falling on it as if it were rain drops. Speaking of which, the newly designed flush hinge system is state of the art and built to withstand over a million folds without compromise. The hinges will never leak or corrode either, with a built in double insurance rain gutter both under the hinges as well as along the side rails of the BakFlip F1.

The BakFlip F1 sports an aluminum sub structure for added rigidity, yet remains lighter and stronger than it's sisters, the BakFlip G1 and HD which are all aluminum tonneau covers. The latch mechanisms under the BakFlip F1 panels automatically engage the side rails as the panels are closed and are operable from both driver and passenger side of the truck. The release mechanisms are encased in ergonomically friendly injection molded cable housings and a glow in the dark emergency release handle finsihes off the underside of this amazing tonneau cover, rendering it a full fledged OEM accessory.

The BakFlip F1 stays cooler to the touch than an aluminum tonneau cover and will not scratch or scuff easily either. It is UV protected and backed by the best warranty in the business.

when it arrived on Friday, i immediately opened the box. WOW! this thing is to bed covers as luxury is to Cadillac's! the installation went smoothly. once i was done with that i gave it a WW wipedown, followed by a coat of QS and SVRT on the rubber seals and EPDM hinges.

enough chit chat, onto the results!

DSC00608.jpg

DSC00610.jpg

DSC00609.jpg

DSC00611.jpg

DSC00607.jpg

DSC00606.jpg

:patriot:

now that this thread is finally open :D i'd like to mention some of the seals along the edge appear wrinkled/folded, but a few passes with a hair dryer straightened them out.

its been raining hard all day. the first sign of clear skies i went to check the inside of the bed and it is bone dry! they integrated a water drainage system into the hinges and rails, along with drainage tubes and it seems to work quite well!

i'm still afraid to stand on top of it, even though it is rated for double my actual weight :eek:

I have always been wondered about those folding tops ability to seal the bed, but if it survived the downfall we had yesterday without leaks it must do a pretty good job!

Can you lock it closed?

you have to open the tailgate to unfold it. so if you have a lock on your tailgate, the bed is "secure".

• 3 months later...

Mine is about 9 months old now and holding up great, there are a couple of scrapes on the rubber seals from folding it up. A sharp edge in the frame was causing them, sanded them down a bit and should be solved now. Overall I am very happy with the look and durability of the BAK cover. Still seals good and keeps water off of the cargo.

its holding up well! i think i need to adjust the cover a bit because when i'm unfolding it, the cover doesn't always fall into the rails like its mounted crooked. just needs to be straightened up a little.

Archived