Customer Service 866.965.0400

Best Software for PC Backup to External HD

MAYBEN

Well I have a 500GB external HD that I bought a few years back and it did not come with any backup software.

I've used Windows Backup but have no way of verifying what was indeed backed up.

First off, I want to make sure certain files are backed up without having 'make copies' and put them on the HD that way..

Second, I would like to do a system restore since I'm having minor issues that have been pretty annoying and think this would be best at this point.

*What do you use and how do you like it?

*Does it let you pick and choose actual folders or just a generalized selection by file type like Windows Backup (ie: photos,videos, etc)

*How much was it?

Thanks!!!

does it show you what was in fact backed up? or is it similar to Microsoft Windows built in backup?

I'm a little hesitant to spend $50 on software that I haven't been able to confirm if it will do what I want..

does it show you what was in fact backed up? or is it similar to Microsoft Windows built in backup?

I'm a little hesitant to spend $50 on software that I haven't been able to confirm if it will do what I want..

Why spend any money you most likely have all the tools at hand. Depending on what operating system you have I would think you could use powershell to take a "snap shot" of your back up drive. You then pipr this to a text file an view what was backed up.

I use Acronis and have been pleased with it.

You can set it up several ways, but the way I have it setup is it makes incremental backups of the entire system (disk image). So, if you have a HD failure, you just toss in a new hard drive and use the Acronis startup disk to copy the entire partition exactly as it was when last backed up.

I have had some issues when I went to a larger drive getting it to install everything but the partition to the new larger drive/partition. I can't remember if I got that resolved or not, but I have a feeling it was an option setting I missed when restoring.

Archived