Customer Service 866.965.0400

Single Stage paint oxidation

bamablueoval

Question

Ok. I have a question about how to remove what appears to be oxidation on a tractor. My boss bought a John Deere 8130 4wd tractor with 700 hrs on it. Which means it was pretty much brand new. Anyway, the entire tractor is pretty much flawless except for the front two wheels. They appear to be oxidized. I am not entirely sure but I am pretty sure they are painted single stage instead of base coat clear coat. The wheels are steel with cast hubs. What steps should I make to try to clean them up? and what products do i need to try? I plan on laying down a coat of americana on most of the rest of the tractor for him since the paint already looks good. Any help is appreciated.

Here is a picture of a tractor that is exactly like his so you know what Im working with.

4 answers to this question

Depends on what you have handy, but Revive should work. Paint doesn't care if single stage or BC/CC. Single stage just transfers color to your pads, so be prepared to have a dedicated pad. On that front wheel you'll probably be using 4" pads, or even a hand applicator.

Have fun & post pics.

Bruce

Nice rig! Seeing that makes me miss my days of living in the country.

I assume the wheels were probably washed with a harsh degreaser which would contribute to the hazy paint finish. It is hard to see the paint condition of the wheels from the pic. You could try to just use the revive polish but I assume that you will need to use the swirl and haze remover like Dylan said.

Removing the wheels would make it easier IF you have the right equipment for doing that. Not familar with that particular model but on many tractors when you remove the wheels this will usually cause paint loss around the wheel bolts (and many will then use touch up paint to keep the metal protected).

You mentioned putting a coat of Americana on it. If you have it available I would use one of the sealants instead. The hubs on the wheels (and any parts of the drive train) can get fairly warm when spending hours in the field under constant torque and I would be concerned about the longevity of the Americana under those heat conditions.

If you are going to an overall cleaning, be sure to pay close attention around the back of the tractor around the hydraulic aux connections. This area is typically oily and if the dealer/owner has this area clean it might have oxidation from having a strong degreaser being used on it also.

Look forward to seeing it with some Adam's Shine! :cheers:

Archived