Customer Service 866.965.0400

Is Machine Super Sealant body shop safe?

stratburst

Question

Does Machine Super Sealant contain silicon? Is it body shop safe? I'm been advised by a friend who maintains a multi-million dollar car collection to avoid silicon based products. That they actually permeate the finish. Great for protection but I'm told that if the car ever needs to be repainted it will likely have to be stripped to the metal to get it right.

6 answers to this question

Does Machine Super Sealant contain silicon? Is it body shop safe? I'm been advised by a friend who maintains a multi-million dollar car collection to avoid silicon based products. That they actually permeate the finish. Great for protection but I'm told that if the car ever needs to be repainted it will likely have to be stripped to the metal to get it right.

I'll let the experts handle the silicon content portion of your question. But as some one who had actually prepped a few cars for painting, I'll tell you that the only way to correctly prepare a car for paint is to strip it to the surface, regardless of what products may or may not have been used on the car. Its a matter of getting a perfectly smooth and fresh surface. Sure, you can "scuff and shoot"...but REAL paint work needs REAL prep work.

Sealants are only to be avoided on very fresh paint... so your friend is only partially right.

There is an issue known as 'sealant staining' where a fairly fresh paint job will 'absorb' some of the sealant give a ghosting effect. Here though the paint needs to be REALLY FRESH, pretty much within the first 30-90 days.

Once a paintjob is fully cured theres no concern what-so-ever of using a sealant on paint or it 'permeating' the paint.

I have seen this discussion on a few forums and Dylan is spot on, people just need to leave their paint alone for the cure period then have at it. I would rather have a properly cured finish than be an eager beaver and throw sealant on it right away and take a chance.

Archived