Customer Service 866.965.0400

Proper detail after some bodywork!!!!

Green Machine

Question

My Magnum was involved in an accident,wife was driving no one hurt except the car . Passenger side new rear quarter and rear door,rear bumper and some work on front bumper. Most likely they are gonna paint the whole passenger side. How long do I have to wait to detail and steps to do! I am assuming clay first........? I wanna do everything by hand just keep that in mind. PC coming this May! Can't wait!!!

9 answers to this question

You cannot polish the panels with fresh paint for three to five months. That's if my memory serves me right. Definitely not something you can do right away. The paint has to cure.

I checked google and some say as early as thirty to ninety days. Personally I waited three months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hot Wagon,

Having worked in a body shop enviroment for awhile that was owned by a local BMW dealership and detailing for oh so many years, I recommend the following...

Polishing can be done on freshly painted panels, just nothing with silicones. Remember that the paint is baked, colorsanded, rotary polished at the bodyshop and almost always is left with swirls...

Waxing or sealing should and can be done after a min 30 day cure period, any sooner and it is possible to cause premature paint failure...

Wash>Inspect for overspray, if so>Clay>Correct for any moderate to fine scratches>Polish to a deep shine>Wax or Seal

There so many rumors on what to do or not. I've heard there are cure times and then I've heard from the painter themselves that there are no cure times with todays paints. I would suggest asking the painter himself.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Thanks to all I really appreciate everyone's responses so far. I will Definately ask the painter. The weather is still crappy on Long Island so it doesn't pay for me to polish ,so I think I will take it slow. Again thanks to all !!!!:D

My 2 cents.

First talk with your body shop.

Second, for the sake of causing any issues, wait 90 days before you seal or wax anything.

Third, you can use Swirl and Haze Remover and Severe Swirl Remover on freshly painted vehicles without worry. These two products do not contain any silicones or polymers are are safe to use. I am not sure about Fine Machine Polish but I assume the same is true. You can also use Detail Spray and Brilliant Glaze on the paint in the first 90 days. Detail Spray does have some protection value to it but not a lot, so you may be going through a bit of this in the next few months.

What you can't use: Machine Super Sealant, Quick Sealent, Americana, or Buttery Wax. AND DO NOT spray Under Carriage Spray on the paint (think of this as liquid grape silicone).

If I am worng someone please correct me.

Just got car back from body shop and it looks awesome!!!! They did an incredible job. Here's the skinny on the paint! First off it is DuPont paint. Body shop dude said to wait 2-3 weeks preferally 3 weeks before polish or sealant especially if the product contains silicones. Detail spray is ok and so is clay bar just like some of you have said on here!!!!! Thanks again to all who have replied your guidance was a really big help!!!! I promise to post pictures soon!

Archived