Customer Service 866.965.0400

Why am I not getting results?? HELP!

Newguyri

Question

Hello All,

I just recently made my investment in Adams Products, and went all out buying the Ultimate Porter Cable Detail Kit. I am planning on running a summer detailing business with a friend before I go off to college.

I was working on my own car today. I went through the full wash and dry process. I then moved onto the clay. with no problems. I am worried that the polishing and wax that I did didn't show results though. I went through all 3 stages, after watching the adams videos and Junkman videos a few times. Though the paint feels super smooth when I run my hand over it, there are still a few scratches and it doesn't look too shiny.

I have attached some pictures.

19 answers to this question

I wouldn't say a better option. I would say an option, that once you get your technique down, that would increase your beer drinking time is all, in this case.

Being new to the polishing aspects, I used to think the PC was the way to go. But if you have enough confidence and patience, I think one can learn the Flex just as easily.

In your case, get your technique down on the PC, first. :D

Mook

Do you think that the flex might be a better option for me?

I used the Flex this weekend for the first time.. I can see where it will be alot faster to get the results. But you need to make sure you get the technique down and practice with the PC. Like Mook said takes time..

My first time with the PC, I went Orange to the white and kept going panel by panel. Had I went back to the Vol 7 video and payed attention to the Junkman's video and PM he sent me,,, and read the email Dylan sent me better and payed attention to the great advice on this forum and not been in such a hurry to get the car done,,, I would of noticed the same,, getting a shine but not a clear or swirl free as I thought. So I slowed down got my 2x2 test panel down to a art and that has helped alot. I by far am not salty on the PC yet myself,,,, but listen to these cats, they will get you there.

You will get it right,, Take patience and practice. They you will be doing this :banana::burnout:

Keep in mind also, with the Porter Cable 7424XP, you may need sometimes 3 and 4 passes of each polish to get the desired result. I have nothing to add other than that.

I have to agree with Mike in what he said.

Mook

FWIW: Porter Cable 3 passes most of the time equates to one pass on the Flex.

Do you think that the flex might be a better option for me?

Keep in mind also, with the Porter Cable 7424XP, you may need sometimes 3 and 4 passes of each polish to get the desired result. I have nothing to add other than that.

I have to agree with Mike in what he said.

Mook

FWIW: Porter Cable 3 passes most of the time equates to one pass on the Flex.

It looks like this is on a Mini Cooper.

Couple thoughts come to mind:

1) I have not polished a Mini but have heard that the clear on these is very hard and can take longer than other brands to polish out.

2) For scratches I usually will use the 4" focus pads first then go to the normal large pads to finish up the larger area. Like a couple others have said, if you can feel the scratch with your finger nail it will need a different approach, depending on how deep it is.

:cheers:

Like Newguyri stated, the support in these forums is a huge influence on why I'm going to purchase Adam's. I too will most likely get the Premium Kit to start out with (tired of saying that now, time for some action...lol). Thanks to everyone how posted answers. I'm ready to get my "flash" on....from the polishing and the photo taking. This place just oozes with confidences.

Getting effective at polishing takes some practice and time. Stay patient and keep at it.

As far as the flashing goes (I struggled with this for awhile as well). The timing of it will be different from person to person based on their technique and environment conditions but you want to look from when it goes from looking like a wet sort of creamy spread to a sort of translucent almost holographic look. You'll have over worked it if in fact it looks like its not even there anymore (and will start getting dusting off your pad most likely).

Your photos look pretty good. For us to get a better idea of what you are seeing, trying taking a picture of the surface with the flash fired straight into the paint. Then we can see the swirls, etc.

And keep in mind, machine polishing takes practice and good technique. Before attempting to complete an entire car, try perfecting a 2x2 area on the hood. This way you know the what steps it takes to get the level of perfection you are seeking. It could be 3 steps of SSR, and 1 of SHR and 1 of FMP...or some other combination.

Finally, deep scratches that you can catch with a fingernail may not be completely removed it machine polishing at all. That kinda looks like what is going on in the last photo you posted.

But keep at it and with the help of this forum, we'll get you there.

Where are you located? If there is a member in the area, they may be willing to come over and help you out.

Thanks for the welcome. Support that I have received so far is a huge part of the reason I went with adams in the first place:thumbsup:

TBH, I went out to the car and took some pictures with the flash on and I can't really see swirl marks, so that's a good sign. There are just surface scratches that are visible still.

First Picture is an untreated area.

Second, is a treated area.

I kept it on speed setting 5 the whole time, and tried to apply enough pressure so that it was moving at a slow speed but not too slow. The one thing I was not sure of is when the polish flashed? I didn't exactly know how to tell what it was supposed to look like....?

You'll know when it flashes when its almost transparent and looks like a thin layer of vaseline. If you are unsure its best to under work the polish then over work it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I kept it on speed setting 5 the whole time, and tried to apply enough pressure so that it was moving at a slow speed but not too slow. The one thing I was not sure of is when the polish flashed? I didn't exactly know how to tell what it was supposed to look like....?

+1, I am having a difficult time determining the flashing part too

Your photos look pretty good. For us to get a better idea of what you are seeing, trying taking a picture of the surface with the flash fired straight into the paint. Then we can see the swirls, etc.

And keep in mind, machine polishing takes practice and good technique. Before attempting to complete an entire car, try perfecting a 2x2 area on the hood. This way you know the what steps it takes to get the level of perfection you are seeking. It could be 3 steps of SSR, and 1 of SHR and 1 of FMP...or some other combination.

Finally, deep scratches that you can catch with a fingernail may not be completely removed it machine polishing at all. That kinda looks like what is going on in the last photo you posted.

But keep at it and with the help of this forum, we'll get you there.

Where are you located? If there is a member in the area, they may be willing to come over and help you out.

All about technique but heck the pics look good to me. Sometimes it may take multiple passes.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Low Self esteem perhaps? hahaha

If you look at the first picture that is before, and the second is after. The paint does feel super glossy and smooth now. Maybe it is just expectations versus reality.

Archived