Customer Service 866.965.0400

Tips on taking pictures?

Anthony Onorato

I'm not sure if this belongs in the lounge or not, but it has to do with making write ups and stuff so I figured its okay here.

What types of cameras do most of you use, and what settings, when you're getting closeup pictures of imperfections in the paint, before/afters, etc.

Also when taking pictures of a finished car, or getting cool shots, what types of settings do you guys use?

In case you can't tell, I'm VERY uneducated when it comes to cameras and photography. I'd like to learn more, and would like to know what a good beginner camera is...the easier to use, the better.

Thanks guys!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if this belongs in the lounge or not, but it has to do with making write ups and stuff so I figured its okay here.

What types of cameras do most of you use, and what settings, when you're getting closeup pictures of imperfections in the paint, before/afters, etc.

Also when taking pictures of a finished car, or getting cool shots, what types of settings do you guys use?

In case you can't tell, I'm VERY uneducated when it comes to cameras and photography. I'd like to learn more, and would like to know what a good beginner camera is...the easier to use, the better.

Thanks guys!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

I made a thread about taking pictures of your vehicle....ill see if I can dig it up but its here on the lounge somewhere.

A lot of us have SLR cameras....

I think NIKON makes point n shoot SLR but I could be wrong. Any point n shoot camera is a great beginner camera.

sent via Tapatalk....

Well its about location and time of day. I have found the best time to take pictures is late evening when the sun is going down so its not so bright and your reflections are more visable and really brings out your color. As far as location just think for a second where your at and what would make for a good backround like a nice lake or river with a bridge shot, under bridge, water fountain.......you see where Im going with this. The first 2 pictures were takin late evening the pontiac was takin midday nice and sunny just a couple examples for you.

100_0651.jpg

EricsTruck004.jpg

gppictures044.jpg

I made a thread about taking pictures of your vehicle....ill see if I can dig it up but its here on the lounge somewhere.

A lot of us have SLR cameras....

I think NIKON makes point n shoot SLR but I could be wrong. Any point n shoot camera is a great beginner camera.

sent via Tapatalk....

This is exactly what I'm looking for, I've been searching for a thread similar to what you're saying you've made. Thanks!!

I'll thank you now, then actually post the information!

Here are some tips for taking pics of cars....a friend of mine posted this from a web page she found.

I found these on other sites but they are very helpful when photographing cars for the fullest effect..

**** SOURCE UNKNOWN but I got this from NYCMaximas.org ****

How to Photograph Your Car

You've spent thousands of dollars and years of your own time to build your dream machine, and now you're gonna grab your camera, snap a few shots and send them in to a big-time magazine. You know they'll love your car and want to feature it, if only they could see it. But did you know that magazines get baskets of reader's rides every month? Your car's going to have to really stand out to get noticed and most editors will only spend a second or two to look at your pix—if they look at them at all.

I want to show you how to gain the advantage, even if your photos are headed for some other magazine. When you're done reading this, you'll know most of the tricks used by the pros—including the tricks they don't want you to know about. It took me years to learn what I'm about to tell you, and that came with a heavy price that included lots of wasted film, lots of money spent on gimmicks that didn't work and lots of time spent pestering the best photographers in our business.

0506phr_pix_06_z.jpg__.jpeg

Our lead photo for the story shows the set-up for this shot, which was taken with a $300 point-and-shoot digital camera. This photo was taken by car owner Robert Wilson at the exact moment I was shooting the story's lead shot. The image could've been made better by cleaning up the garbage in the background, but it still points out how relatively easy it is to take a good snap shot. Compare this shot to those in the feature elsewhere in this issue. Can you spot the erroneous tangency?

Grazing, or Driving?

One of the most common problems I see with photos sent in by readers is a car on grass. Cars belong on pavement, not grass. Cattle belong on grass. Pavement is the natural environment for a car unless you've taken an agricultural excursion by late braking at the hairpin turn. Gravel is another no-no. Try finding a large, open paved area to shoot your car. Even a road with minimal traffic or limited access will work, but a parking lot will do just fine. If you want to be a stickler like me, look for pavement without lines painted on it. The one exception for the pavement rule is for off-road vehicles. A 4x4 will look cool perched atop a big pile of rocks, but don't try this with a car. Try to put your car in its ideal environment (such as a drag car on the drag strip or a road racer on a road course).

Chop Job

Believe me when I tell you there are lots of people who send me half photos. I guess I'm supposed to just imagine what the other half of the car looks like, because the front or the rear has been chopped off. Sometimes this is the fault of the lab, in which case you can have the lab reprint them (provided you took them right to start with) at no extra cost. If you find yourself cutting off your car, take some more time to frame the car. This isn't a problem if you've got a digital camera with an LCD screen. You can see exactly what the final picture will look like ahead of time. If you've got an inexpensive film camera with a separate peephole that doesn't look through the lens, you'll have to account for the parallax angle to get the entire car into the picture.

The Amazing Three-Wheeled Car!

You may have noticed a lot of editors and photographers like the low-angle shot. Cars always look bolder and more aggressive when shot from ground level (especially from a distance), but there is one big thing to watch out for if you do this: don't turn your car into a three-wheeler. I had been shooting three-wheeled cars for many years until I talked to famed car photographer Scott Killeen. When Scott pointed my mistake out to me it was a revelation. You can shoot at an angle to the car; just avoid blocking the fourth wheel (the one in back) with one of the front wheels. With four wheels, your car will look more aggressive and meaner, like a big cat ready to pounce on its prey. This is a tip that many pros don't even know about—just pick up any car magazine and look. Having read this, you'll be spoiled forever and will never look at car photos the same! And one last tip: low-angle shots only look good if your car has the right stance. If the car sits high, or even worse, the front sits higher than the rear, you've got problems, both photographically and aesthetically—unless you own a 4x4.

Growing Appendages

Stuff growing out of your car is not good, but it happens all the time. Park your car in some random place and take a random photo of it and you'll probably have random crap growing out of it. Your car wasn't built randomly, so why take a random picture of it? Light poles, fence posts, trees, mailboxes—I've seen it all sprouting from cars mailed in. This is easy to remedy by just taking a moment to look at your picture before you snap it. Sometimes all you need to do is get a little lower or move over a foot or two to get the offending appendage off your car. Other times, you may need to move the car a few feet or even find a new location if the background is too busy. Unless you live at the country club, you'll want to find something less “fussy” than a residential street. The best places are empty industrial parks (pick a weekend or holiday), small airports, the back of a Wal-Mart or Home Depot (they owe it to us considering all the money we give them!), a quarry, a large country park (avoid city parks with lots of light poles and fences) or any other wide, open area.

0506phr_pix_02_z.jpg__.jpeg

This Buick Grand National is growing a huge pole with a sign from its roof. Before snapping the shutter, take a moment to look at the photo for any problems. Notice how the concrete wall in the background intersects with the roof of the car. This boo-boo is called a tangency. The sun is also too close to the car.

On a related topic, avoid tangencies at all cost. A tangency is a line or curve in the background (often a wall, fence, roof or horizon) that intersects, grazes or bisects the edge of the subject—in this case the car. A tangency will kill the outline of a car, make it look misshapen, or change its perceived proportions.

0506phr_pix_03_z.jpg__.jpeg

The same car, this time shot with the sun to the photographer's back—another no-no. Note the tangency with the horizon and the roofline, and the extraneous clutter of other cars. This is a bad photo, shame on me!

0506phr_pix_04_z.jpg__.jpeg

This is a much better photo of the same car at the same time of day in the same location, only this time I moved the car to shoot with side lighting and a reflector. There is a clean background and no tangencies. This photo could've been made better by turning the high-beam lights on.

Location, Location, Location

The old real estate motto applies to shooting car photos too. The ideal location is on level, high ground with open space facing west. You don't want buildings, trees, fences, signs, poles, utility wires or other obstructions blocking your light or creating unwanted reflections in your perfect paint. You want an open expanse to the west because you'll generally be shooting at sunset and with the sun not to your back. That's right, I said it, “don't put the sun to your back,” but we'll talk more on lighting later. The main thing to remember with location is to take advantage of what's available in your geographic area. If you live by the coast, a shore setting might work (try sunrise on the east coast and sunset on the west coast). If you live out west, there are lots of beautiful open areas to choose from. East coasters have it rougher, because you've got to deal with lots of close-in tree lines and telephone poles that inhibit a good horizon line from reflecting down the side of the car. East coasters and mid-westerners: Head for treeless high ground!

Did I mention that you want a place that has a distant horizon line? Once you try it, you'll find that a good sharp horizon line down the side of your car will flatter the shape of the car and make your paint and body work look dynamite. A good horizon line at sunset will even turn an okay-looking car into an awesome-looking car. (Well-known automotive photographer Greg Jarem calls this a “billiard shot” because you're bouncing the horizon line and golden sunset light off the side like a billiard ball.) If you're selling your car and need to take a photo of it, this will make it look thousands of dollars better, so here's a trick that will literally put money in your pocket.

0506phr_pix_11_z.jpg__.jpeg

Speaking of dramatic, here is the same location later on at sunset with the Buick Grand National. See what a big difference the time of day makes? This is a really good example of having a strong horizon line in the side of the car; it flatters the car's lines and adds a ton of color. (Not bad for a black car, huh?) Note how the headlights' being on really makes the shot work. Now cover up the last part of the caption and guess what would make this shot better. The answer: remove the big ugly sticker in the corner of the windshield.

Dealing With Mr. Rent-A-Cop

One thing you'll learn in a hurry: rich folk own all the good property—and they don't mind telling you that with all their security, gates, fences and signs. The Bill Of Rights doesn't have an amendment guaranteeing photographers good places to shoot, so be ready to fight for good photos! Even public parks are problematic. Whip out a camera at a park in California and you can be slapped with hefty fines (yes!). Their dirty little secret is that states earn big revenue from selling photography permits, especially where the film industry is big. Whether you're shooting in the back of a Wal-Mart or at a big park, it's better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission (because you'll rarely get permission). Another tip is to be polite and accommodate any requests made by security or police. Don't argue with the guy if you're being asked to move on (that's usually the worst thing that can happen). When all else fails, play dumb—I'm talking Forrest Gump dumb. You're sorry and just wanted to take “sum pikshurs” of your buddy's car. On the other hand, some security people and park rangers love cars and may even want to help you. Tip: If you know a cop, ask him to come with you to help out. Cops will almost always show professional courtesy to one another. I probably don't need to say it, but I will anyway: if you're on property that doesn't belong to you, don't get funny and start screwing around with the car doing donuts or burnouts. You'll be sorry. On the other hand, if the cops start doing burnouts...

Lights…

The good news here is that you don't need any extra lights (other than the ones on your car). The sun and sky will be your light source, and with the help of some homemade reflectors, you can put that light anywhere you want it. Most people just line the sun up with their buttocks and shoot the car with full frontal lighting. Don't do this! This is great if you plan a career in crime scene photography, but if you want to flatter the lines of the car and add depth and drama, you'll want to shoot with the sun ranging from directly in front of you to 90 degrees to one side of the camera. This is called backlighting or side lighting. This gives superior results, but only works if you're willing to “fill” some light in with reflectors. These reflectors can be purchased at a pro photo supply center, or made at home with cardboard, aluminum foil, tape and a box cutter. My 9-year-old daughter made two reflectors just for this story with about 50 cents worth of materials. In the time it takes to change your carburetor jets, you can make a couple of good reflectors—and not end up stinking like gas.

0506phr_pix_01_z.jpg__.jpeg

0506phr_pix_05_z.jpg__.jpeg

Using homemade reflectors constructed from cardboard and aluminum foil, this set-up shows how you can use strong side lighting in the middle of the day while filling in the dark areas.

Shooting with back- or side-lighting can produce dramatic results, but you may also want to experiment with using the car's headlights or parking lights. Headlights are like “eyes;” they let the camera peer into the soul of a car. Yellow marker lights and red taillights also add a pronounced amount of color when shooting in the waning “golden light” of twilight. Tip: make sure all your lights are working before going out for a shoot.

0506phr_pix_07_z.jpg__.jpeg

I was on location in Indiana when I took this shot of Bret Voelkel's '69 Mustang. I was set up for a tight close-up of the taillight, valence and rear bumper. I'm using the reflector to light up the rear and a white sheet to brighten up the chrome bumper. Neither the reflector nor the sheet showed up in the final photo.

Some photographers prefer lots of midday light, others like sunset light, and still others prefer afterglow light, which is very low-level light, but very good light. You can take great photos in all kinds of light—even in the rain or at night if necessary.

0506phr_pix_08_z.jpg__.jpeg

I'm a big fan of shooting “on the deck,” or close to the ground. This shows the car's stance and makes the car look menacing. This shot shows a lot: a low angle, a clean background, sharp side lighting, good use of reflectors, and the fact that the photographer (car owner Robert Wilson) is using an inexpensive point-and-shoot digital camera.

0506phr_pix_09_z.jpg__.jpeg

Now here are two versions of the same shot, the first one without reflectors...

0506phr_pix_10_z.jpg__.jpeg

...and the second one with Reflectors. Can you believe there are “pros” out there who refuse to use reflectors under strong sunlight? These shots were taken in the middle of the day, which is far from ideal. A sunset shot would be far more dramatic.

Camera…

If you want a fast car, you're going to have to pay for that speed. But if you want a good photo of your car, fortunately you don't need $10,000 in camera equipment. Most point-and-shoot digitals will give you great shots, and if you buy one with the right features, you can even do some pretty interesting action photography too. Most of the photos in this story were taken with a camera that cost under $300, so if you want to compare the quality of these pictures with those on other pages, now's a good time to compare. Don't fool yourself into thinking you can't take a good picture without an extravagant camera. (Lord knows, enough self-proclaimed “pros” have convinced themselves they take good photos because their gear is expensive!).

0506phr_pix_14_z.jpg

This Canon S1 IS has a built-in image stabilizer for under $300. Eventually, I predict all decent point-and-shoots will have this technology built into them, but for now you'll have to seek this feature out if you want to shoot car-to-car action.

A point-and-shoot auto-focus film camera that uses 35mm film is fine, but digitals are becoming more affordable and have loads more features for about the same money as an average film camera. If you've got a digital camera with 3 or 4 megapixels, you're in fine shape. I recently bought a Canon S1 IS for under $300 that has 3.2 megapixels and a feature called Image Stabilization (IS). When you push this IS button, most camera shake goes away, which is great for hand-held photography in low light and for car-to-car action photography using a longer shutter speed. I've also got a $2,800 gyrostabilizer for my expensive cameras and the little IS feature on my point-and-shoot Canon does just as good a job at killing camera shake. That's the only product plug I'm going to make in this entire story.

0506phr_pix_12_z.jpg

If you want to shoot action photos, there is a variety of equipment available to stabilize the camera platform, ranging from the absurdly expensive $2,800 Kenyon Labs KS-6 Gyrostabilizer (attached to the Pentax medium-format rig on the left), to the somewhat more affordable Canon prosumer image stabilizer lens attached to the Canon 10D (right), and the super-affordable Canon S1 IS point-and-shoot digital (front).

0506phr_pix_13_z.jpg

If you've got a Canon SLR camera body, the Canon 28-135mm IS lens is the one to get. It has a built-in image stabilizer that is activated by a switch on the side of the lens. This dampens yaw and pitch motion so the camera can be hand-held in low light. This also allows you to push up the shutter speed (between 1/15th and 1/30th sec.) when shooting car-to-car action shots. The extra shutter speed will allow blurring the background without introducing camera shake in the rest of the car. Canon makes other IS lenses in longer telephoto lengths, but this is the only wide-angle one which can be used for car-to-car action.

0506phr_pix_15_z.jpg__.jpeg

How well does the little $300 Canon point-and-shoot work with the image stabilizer on? You be the judge. Five years ago, I needed $2,800 worth of extra equipment (beyond the price of a camera) to get a shot like this.

0506phr_pix_20_z.jpg

You'll need a good camera support- a tripod in most cases- to stabalize your shot. It's easy taking pictures in bright daylight without a tripod, but when you get into the good sunset light and twilight, you can forget about hand holding the camera. Sharp readers may also be tempted to just bumb the ISO from 100 to 400 or higher, but you will get lots of "noise" in the red channel in a digital, and reciprocity loss with the film if you elect to push process. Resist this urge and keep it set on ISO 50 or ISO 100 for the best results, using the tripod.

TO see the rest of the tips click HERE

Hahahahaha sorry man, I didn't realize this is what she was talking about. Thanks :lolsmack:

No worries. :cheers: I was just really starting to think something was wrong with my post's visibility. :willy:

We have been taking our pictures with the Canon SX1xx IS series point & shoot. We had an SX100 for several years until my b-i-l dropped it on a bulkhead on our cruse in October. We replaced that with the current model SX150 (street price about $200). We also picked up the previous model, SX130, for $99 at Target on closeout at Christmas! These camera take nice pictures and have lots of settings, including the Junkman required Macro setting.

Many reviews complain about the battery life on these cameras, but I really like the fact that it uses AA batteries instead of a built in. You may have to swap out the batteries more often, but you can pick up a spare almost any where in the world! We use rechargeable AA's and have a car charger just in case.

The article that Mook posted is the gospel truth. I have used a lot of these techniques and I am still learning! I have a Canon EOS Rebel T3i and love it. Tripods are worth their weight in gold as well. About the only other thing I am wanting to add is a polarizer. It helps smooth reflections so that are more uniform and reduces glare in harsher lighting.

Very easy to read and follow ... the write ups are pretty old and technology has trumped most of the tips but good info to know anyways. Much like everything else in life, photography is 90 percent technique and 10 percent equipment.

Archived