Customer Service 866.965.0400

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier.............Turbo?

Vink70

The best thing about your Cav is that it is a sleeper. I agree, anything 4 sec faster than stock is great. It's not my car of choice but I like your Cav. I wish you liked closer so I could check it out. Btw, the 4-banger sounds great. :thumbup:

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Thanks.I do appreciate it...

time for the bad news...

Well looks like my timing chain tensioner failed and it skipped timing and symptoms to me seem to be bent valves.... will diagnose when i get motivated to tear it down... im taking a step back from it for a little while to let it settle and who knows, might wait til 2013 to have it ready.

Thanks.I do appreciate it...

time for the bad news...

Well looks like my timing chain tensioner failed and it skipped timing and symptoms to me seem to be bent valves.... will diagnose when i get motivated to tear it down... im taking a step back from it for a little while to let it settle and who knows, might wait til 2013 to have it ready.

UGH! :( Times 100. Sorry to hear that bro.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

• 1 month later...

Took more than a month off from it and got motivated, dont ask me how on one of the hottest days i could have picked... but I did.

As I suspected..... i went 8/8 which is 100% which is good right? Smashed all 8 intake valves

2012-07-17_14-35-48_281-1.jpg

Machine shop pointed this out to me! Those are cracks in the valve...... um whoops?

2012-07-17_14-38-50_939.jpg

Visible piston damage but cant feel any of it, just going to go over them softly to make sure they are smooth 100%

2012-07-17_17-10-39_153.jpg

Its at the machine shop now awaiting further diagnosis if I took guides out with it or not. Then I will order valves and get it back on as soon as I can. Fingers crossed this time!

Awesome story Vincent! Great job on the Cavalier! I'm going to steal this and post the link on our Cobalt forum. We have at least one member with a turbo'd Cavalier, and many more gear heads that would love to hear about this amazing transformation. The Cobalt has a lot of the same rep as the Cavalier, chick car, Slowbalt, etc etc. but the look on people's faces if you waste them in their STi/GT500/SRT8 etc is priceless :)

Good luck and I for one am in for numbers on the latest setup when you get them!!

Nice build. My first car was a Sunfire which people called it the sunflower. As for taking out a GT500 or an SRT8 you would have to prove that to me. The only way is that the person was unaware the race was happening. Or it was a 60's stock model GT500. Otherwise it still looks good!

Nice build. My first car was a Sunfire which people called it the sunflower. As for taking out a GT500 or an SRT8 you would have to prove that to me. The only way is that the person was unaware the race was happening. Or it was a 60's stock model GT500. Otherwise it still looks good!

believe it or not I can give you a list of 10-15 cars that were similar to a gt500 or SRT8 type caliber that I beat..... at the track even. Same conditions, same start time, but I won. mine is by no means the fastest but it holds its own and if I am able to get it out this year still, its going to be even more fierce than last year. Im looking for 11's out of it.

lol. I didn't mean to start a "my car is faster than yours" argument but it looks like I did...

Unlike Vincent I'm more of a road track guy (as opposed to drag) and there especially, weight, brakes and handling play a major role as well as HP of course. I have yet to encounter a GT500 or SRT8 (and most of those have had work done) that I can't at least stay right on the bumper around the curvy track called High Plains Raceway. And I've encountered quite a few.

Of course, it could just be my awesome driving skills, but I doubt it :lolsmack:

In a straight line and from a dig a FWD car definitely has a disadvantage over RWD, but as Vincent pointed out, even that can be overcome.

In short, boost > displacement, as evidenced by the fact that most of the latest 500+HP cars have some kind of boost on board :)

There's a $2,000 direct bolt on turbo coming out for the 2008+ Cobalt SS that'll add 150 HP right out of the box. Now you'll have to admit, that's pretty cheap power :thumbsup: And yes, I have a turbo fund set up :banana:

I do not doubt it. There are some that will beat them but its few and far between. It will be cool to see how far in hp you go!

believe me when i say you would be surprised how many are rolling around now that would eliminate your few and far between...

Our top 15 on our forum for track times range from a 10.0 @ 147 to a 13.5 @ 105 for street cars.

The weight plus the turbo just give me so much top end. I will lose at the 60' but at the 330' im already pulling, by 500-600' im either caught up or passing them. These cars are so cheap to mod and boost its not even funny. If I owned a honda, Id have twice the amount of power for the amount of money I have into this car. They are even cheaper to mod and even faster.

All I want out of it is an 11.500 @ 120+ :) and around 400hp

Oh no i didn't take it that way at all. I think this is some real on the cheap HP. I think its pretty cool and if you build it right you will catch people off guard.

Thanks for being a good sport. You'll hear nothing bad about Shelby's out of me either. They are simply awesome cars.

Just found an older video to back up my story :lol:

He passes me first since I'm on my out lap and at the end he runs into traffic and decides to make that his in lap. Enjoy!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DzSOsKnQuA]Chasing a GT500 - YouTube[/ame]

• 4 weeks later...

Head is mated to the block via head studs :) thats all the farther i got today. Might work on buttoning up the rest tomorrow. Just need to order a new timing chain tensioner as well as a new timing chain and it will be set to be tuned!

2012-08-11_19-17-03_358.jpg

2012-08-11_19-16-46_647.jpg

Good to see you back at it again.

DX on LVXR / VXL via Tapatalk 2

Thanks, Just ordered my timing chain tensioner off Amazon of all places... $30 which is cheaper than auto stores, and I get free 2 day shipping! Only thing left needed is the timing chain.

• 2 weeks later...

Timed it, Started it. Noticed my oil pressure gauge go from 80 down to 15-20 and didnt know why. shut the car off. got out and walked around. Saw a puddle of oil all over the floor. First thought was I cracked my block or something blew and it was game over. Then I looked and KNEW my drain plug was in tight so it couldnt be that... then i moved further under and noticed I left the turbo return line off..... it was all my fault! and i was cursing myself. Ran into walmart, oh yeah open 24 hours... had a few weird looks and i smelled of oil, fuel, and sweat... filled it back up, got the coolant bubble out that I had. Running it to get the 2 year old fuel out of it so i can dump fresh in.

More vids to come SOON!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2Ky48-98U0]Open Cutout Walk Around - YouTube[/ame]

Edited by Vink70

Washed it for the first time in 2 years...

2012-09-02_18-01-55_902.jpg

Routed all of my HPT cables and HPT Pro box into the glove box. So much cleaner!

Got my L61 coil pack into the LSJ head along with the LSJ coil pack cover to fit the L61 coil pack. Engine bay is complete!

2012-09-02_19-43-45_193.jpg