Customer Service 866.965.0400

My first Machine Polish...

Yellow_Glide

Question

The new grandson wanted to sleep Saturday afternoon so I snuck out and went home for a bit. Rewashed the car and examined very closely for scratched and swirls and with the exception of half a dozen paint chips everything looked pretty good. I did the baggie test and thought I was testing on 1000 grit sandpaper. I clayed the car and decided to start with Fine Machine Polish on my test area. Things were looking pretty good so I moved onto the Sealant on the test area and again things were looking pretty good when I finished. I finished up the car with FMP and Sealant.

Started this morning in the garage with coffee in one had and a PC in the other putting on Brilliant Glaze. Once I finished the glaze, removed all the tape and put on some VRT on the trim, tires and the vinyl in the interior. Then I cleaned the glass and put on glass sealer. I then broke out the Americana and put on a light coat of wax.

From my first experience I learned a few things.

- One thing I did was label all of the bottles with the step number: green #1, orange #2, etc.

- I used around a third of a bottle on the car, will be making an order for a gallon shortly.

- You can never have enough microfiber towels: two single soft isn't going to cut it. adding half a dozen to the detail spray order.

- In a couple of months, I'll try a test spot with Swirl and Haze Remover as this car has some serious orange peel on the hood. Rest of the car is pretty good for factory paint: I think the paint robot must have had a few too many the night before.

- The VRT has a really fragrant bouquet aroma: everyone kept saying "wow, your car smells really nice."

- Note to Marketing: Adam's t-shirts in kids sizes. I would have bought a couple and could have sold a half dozen yesterday... :)

Overall, I'm very pleased with the results for being my first Machine Polish using Adam's products.

As someone said, the light doesn't lie...

11 answers to this question

Nice work Jim, love that color!

- In a couple of months, I'll try a test spot with Swirl and Haze Remover as this car has some serious orange peel on the hood. Rest of the car is pretty good for factory paint: I think the paint robot must have had a few too many the night before.

SSR or SHR will probably not be enough to remove orange peel, but it's worth a try. They do work fine for removing the sanding marks and returning the shine after wet-sanding though.

Thanks for the replies. Not bad for a first attempt. :D Still have a great deal of education to go on this. Have my wife's Suburban, my son's Silverado and my dad's HHR (he's 90 and drives it to go to the mailbox two blocks down the street) lined up to practice on. Will definitely need more towels and Detail Spray for that beast.

You can't feel the imperfections in the paint on the hood but you look at the reflection of a 4' shop light and it looks like a golf ball. You step back three feet it looks fantastic. If it's in the clear coat then there may be a chance to do a little wet sand and clean it up. Not sure it bothers me enough to have the hood repainted, LOL, I have been thinking of some stripes though.

Archived