Customer Service 866.965.0400

Buffing out just a scratch

G8chick

Question

Just polished my car and took it to the dealer where they left a long scratch on my door. So do I now have to buff out the entire door? Or do I just go over the scratch with very little product?

e982b5a7.jpg

It's the line right by the vans tire.. Hard to get pic, goes like half way down my door

14 answers to this question

Work around the general area. Don't just bear down on the one spot. Adam has said you have to "love out" your scratches, not force them out. Are you using a spot pad kit? If so, I work in an around about 2x the area I am trying to correct, if that makes sense.

Use a drill and focus pad kit then follow that with a pass with your orbital polisher. Good luck! Post results!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Yep! I did several of them on my G8 this way... Be VERY careful though. You can burn through the clear VERY quickly. Follow up with the PC and BAM, perfect paint.

Test the scratch with your fingernail. Does your nail catch in the scratch? If so, it may be too deep to polish out completely.

Lol I know it was the best pic I could get, I don't have focus pads I just have the ones that came with me kit. So should I just use alittle product over that area or give the entire door a pass over again. Thinking fine may pull it out it's not that deep I don't think

at first I was like, thats a really crappy picture of the van, can't tell where the scratch is, great reflection!

:lol: I thought the same thing!

Like mentioned above, do an ipa wipe done of the section your going to be working on and use the 4" pads. You don't need to polish out the whole door

:lol: I thought the same thing!

Like mentioned above, do an ipa wipe done of the section your going to be working on and use the 4" pads. You don't need to polish out the whole door

She don't have the focus pads lol. I would just polish a 2x2 area around the scratch with FMP and wipe it down with IPA to see it went away. If after a couple passes Its not gone I would step up to SHR.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

It took me a good minute too. I was like, "who the BLAM posts an awesome mini van like that?"

:lol:

Great looking paint! I would recommend the Focus Kit, on a drill. Watch the video a few times, then follow the above advice...should come out! If you think you can grab it with your machine, do it! You don't have to do the whole panel, but make sure it looks the same as the rest in the end. Good luck!

Mook

WOW you had me fooled too. I looked at this on my phone and thought it was just a crappy pic. I finally checked it out again on my Macbook and realized that is the reflection. Regardless of the scratch, I must compliment the shine! :bow:

Thanks guys!! And that's when it was dusty from sitting outside for 2 days :) I'm very happy with how it turned out and I think I will tackle the scratch this weekend. As I was planning on doing glaze and buttery wax to it anyways on the weekend

Fooled me on the MiniVan pic as well, I just want to know how many of the service techs you took out after finding the scratch. I would not have been a happy camper if I walked out to see that.

I know from years of company trip they do a walk around on rental cars and mark all the scratches before and check you don't add more. Maybe we could make up an Adams drop off sheet and mark all know scratches (not that we would have any) and blemishes that the Service Dept would have to sign.

This dealership does a walk around noting damage on the vehicle lol the service advisor I was dealing with personally pulled my car out and parked it beside the shuttle bus area that doesn't get used during the day. She was all worried about getting a mark on it she drive very very slowly lol.. So I don't know if it was them it someone walking between. But I seen the scratch and marched right back in there. My advisor actually got texts about it during her lunch and they were talking about it at the shop all afternoon. They delt with it very well tho

Archived