Customer Service 866.965.0400

First time detailing on Friday

RByers91

Question

I just wanted to ask a few questions before i begin.

I have been washing the car with meguires and using a spray wax after every wash. Will the car need to be stripped before claying it? Or is the spray wax not thick enough to cause any issues? If the car does need to be stripped, how much apc would you recommend putting in the soap?

I've heard from others that all clays are made by one main manufacture, and that one doesn't differ from another (as long as its a fine clay). I bought some pinnacle ultra poly fine clay (before knowing about adams) and plan on using this when i detail the car, will it be ok to use? It also came with its own lubricant, which I'm also wondering if its ok to use.

I think that basically covers my questions, I may come back with more tomorrow. Thanks.

9 answers to this question

I have used spray wax (Meguiar's) in the past, and then used a clay bar a few days later. The clay bar always worked great, so I think you should be fine just washing then using the clay bar.

I just wanted to ask a few questions before i begin.

I have been washing the car with meguires and using a spray wax after every wash. Will the car need to be stripped before claying it? Or is the spray wax not thick enough to cause any issues? If the car does need to be stripped, how much apc would you recommend putting in the soap?

I've heard from others that all clays are made by one main manufacture, and that one doesn't differ from another (as long as its a fine clay). I bought some pinnacle ultra poly fine clay (before knowing about adams) and plan on using this when i detail the car, will it be ok to use? It also came with its own lubricant, which I'm also wondering if its ok to use.

I think that basically covers my questions, I may come back with more tomorrow. Thanks.

I can't speak for the other brands you have mentioned here, but for strip wash, mix 2-3oz of APC into your Car Shampoo mixture. That is, if it's Adam's Car Shampoo. Again, I can't speak for the other stuff.

I'm still new to the Adams world, but I would say go ahead with the strip wash. It will not only get off any wax, but some road grime (oils from the road and other cars exhaust, tar etc.) can be tough to get off. I haven't used the Adams Car Shampoo enough to say how well it will remove those types of items and you don't want theat stuff on there clogging up the clay.

Now when you are talking strip wash...I used Dawn dish washing detergent to strip everything off instead (I had some Adam's soap on order at the time) before the claying. Would using the APC with Adam's soap be a better strip than Dawn? Also if you do use the APC combo...how hard would it be to flush all that out of the wash pads so you are not reintroducing it to your next wash?

Now when you are talking strip wash...I used Dawn dish washing detergent to strip everything off instead (I had some Adam's soap on order at the time) before the claying. Would using the APC with Adam's soap be a better strip than Dawn? Also if you do use the APC combo...how hard would it be to flush all that out of the wash pads so you are not reintroducing it to your next wash?

I go back and forth between using APC for the strip wash and using Dawn... but that is because I still have some Dawn to use up. Once the Dawn is gone I will just be using APC for the strip washes.

In regards to your concern of removing the APC out of the wash pads, if you are washing the pads out using a good technique then the APC will be totally gone. I actually use the APC directly on the pad(s) during my clean up when I see any dirty spots that didn't come out, this is typically on the pad used for the lower portion of the car. Because of the good technique in cleaning/rinsing the pads I have never had an issue with residual APC from the pad stripping the wax during the subsequent car wash.

:cheers:

Whoops I meant on the wash pad not on the compound pad. Sorry graveyard shifts are playing tricks on my mind!:lolsmack:

I go back and forth between using APC for the strip wash and using Dawn... but that is because I still have some Dawn to use up. Once the Dawn is gone I will just be using APC for the strip washes.

In regards to your concern of removing the APC out of the wash pads, if you are washing the pads out using a good technique then the APC will be totally gone. I actually use the APC directly on the pad(s) during my clean up when I see any dirty spots that didn't come out, this is typically on the pad used for the lower portion of the car. Because of the good technique in cleaning/rinsing the pads I have never had an issue with residual APC from the pad stripping the wax during the subsequent car wash.

:cheers:

Well I wasn't able to get the claying done but did wash and wax with some interior cleaning. I couldn't believe how dirty my seat was after only 8,000 miles! Hit a couple bumps along the way. I learned that I needed to wait till everything was dry before waxing. Also learned to make sure seat is completely clean before putting down the conditioner. Btw I was wondering what you guts used to dry your tires. I ended up using a Costco mf, not sure if there is smother way. Lastly how much detail spray do you generally use to mist over the car before drying? It felt like I went through an awful lot. it was fun in the end. Best turn out for wading my car yet.

Btw I was wondering what you guts used to dry your tires. I ended up using a Costco mf, not sure if there is smother way. Lastly how much detail spray do you generally use to mist over the car before drying? It felt like I went through an awful lot. it was fun in the end. Best turn out for wading my car yet.

I previously used an terry cloth work towel to dry the tires, but I have upgraded to the Adam's Blaster Sidekick Dryer by MetroVac.

I use the pool rinsing method, let the car dry for a few minutes while I dump the buckets, then a spray or two on each panel. I move the DS across or down the panel as I press the trigger. You should not need too much, as the GWDT will move it around some.