Customer Service 866.965.0400

What brand Plasma T.V. ?

Natch02

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, right now I'm running the old Pioneer receiver until my fiber optic cables show up from amazon. Since my college days, I ran those Pioneer speakers (with jl audio 10" subs) in the pic off the Pioneer receiver. I've put the receiver thru hell over the years with those 4 ohm 10s for the last 10 years. buwahahhahaa I blew the old Pioneer 10s at a party and had to have tunes to keep the honies happy!:lolsmack:

The Denon gets sound from the fiber optics from my cable box and ps3 but hdmi carries sound and video out to the tv thru the switch. I found two fiber optic cables for 7.97 shipped on amazon just the darn holidays are cramping my need to have the good sound and video for all the bowl games. hahahaha

Yeah, right now I'm running the old Pioneer receiver until my fiber optic cables show up from amazon. Since my college days, I ran those Pioneer speakers (with jl audio 10" subs) in the pic off the Pioneer receiver. I've put the receiver thru hell over the years with those 4 ohm 10s for the last 10 years. buwahahhahaa I blew the old Pioneer 10s at a party and had to have tunes to keep the honies happy!:lolsmack:

The Denon gets sound from the fiber optics from my cable box and ps3 but hdmi carries sound and video out to the tv thru the switch. I found two fiber optic cables for 7.97 shipped on amazon just the darn holidays are cramping my need to have the good sound and video for all the bowl games. hahahaha

I take it the Denon doesn't accept HDMI. Looks like a newer Denon.

I totally agree with you Slickdeals.net recommendation. That site is great. I have found so many great deals on that site. Problem is that once I find a good deal, I have to buy it whether I need it or not!

I take it the Denon doesn't accept HDMI. Looks like a newer Denon.

I totally agree with you Slickdeals.net recommendation. That site is great. I have found so many great deals on that site. Problem is that once I find a good deal, I have to buy it whether I need it or not!

It is a newer Denon. Its the 589 and it does accept HDMI, however it doesn't take audio thru HDMI but will send audio up to the TV thru HDMI. Weird huh?? That was the only down side to the receiver, but with the cost of the fiber optics I found, I wasn't complaining to bad.

Its an entry level home theater system which is what I wanted to get my feet wet. I'm starting to get the bug and its not a healthy situation to be in! :lolsmack::lolsmack: I'm excited to play around with the Audyssy EQ and speaker placement set up. :2thumbs:

It is a newer Denon. Its the 589 and it does accept HDMI, however it doesn't take audio thru HDMI but will send audio up to the TV thru HDMI. Weird huh?? That was the only down side to the receiver, but with the cost of the fiber optics I found, I wasn't complaining to bad.

Its an entry level home theater system which is what I wanted to get my feet wet. I'm starting to get the bug and its not a healthy situation to be in! :lolsmack::lolsmack: I'm excited to play around with the Audyssy EQ and speaker placement set up. :2thumbs:

That's too bad the Denon won't accept audio over HDMI. You'll be missing out on the lossless audio that comes on the BluRay discs from your PS3.

I'm no audiophile, but I can tell a difference between the regular Dolby Digital and the lossless TrueHD or DTS HD.

Yeah, the Audyssy EQ is pretty cool. It came on my Onkyo receiver and used it to set up my speakers.

Enjoy the setup. I wish my living room was set up where I could hang the TV on the wall. I have to use a stand and angle the TV in the corner, due to fireplace location and furniture I have. It's a good setup, but I just feel a flat panel LCD or Plasma should be hung on the wall.

From what I'm being told, the fiber optic cable from the ps3 and the fiber optic cable from the HD cable box I won't lose any quality of sound found on the bluray. Lets keep our fingers crossed it works out ok when the cables come. If not, I might think of returning the set up and going with a better receiver.

I agree, I feel the flat screen tvs should be hung on the wall. Show pics of your set up when you get a chance! Be nice to see it!!!

From what I'm being told, the fiber optic cable from the ps3 and the fiber optic cable from the HD cable box I won't lose any quality of sound found on the bluray. Lets keep our fingers crossed it works out ok when the cables come. If not, I might think of returning the set up and going with a better receiver.

I agree, I feel the flat screen tvs should be hung on the wall. Show pics of your set up when you get a chance! Be nice to see it!!!

Only HDMI can transfer the lossless codecs. The cable box is fine with optical, since it won't have any content with lossless audio anyway. A receiver with HDMI will allow you to take advantage of the lossless audio from BluRay, and it also makes a much cleaner install with 1 cable from each component to the receiver, then only a single HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV. Helps to cut down the clutter of cables.

I will take some pics and post them, probably tomorrow, got to head to work here shortly. Will start a new thread though, since we are taking over this one! Maybe we need to start a "pics of your living room" thread.

Ok... what are lossless codecs?? Learn something new every day! :)i

Dolby Digital and DTS audio on a normal DVD is a compressed version of the original studio audio track for a movie.

With the amount of data that can now be stored on a BluRay disc, they now offer this uncompressed original audio(lossless), as well as the typical Dolby Digital and standard DTS tracks. In order to take FULL advantage of the lossless, I think a 7.1 surround system is required, but even with only a 5.1, you still get a benefit.

Depending on the BluRay player and the receiver you have, some times the receiver does the decoding and some times the bluray player will decode it and send it to the receiver.

But the only way to take advantage of this is through a HDMI connection. It is possible to do it over analog cables, provided the bluray player can output analog and the receiver can accept the analog signal, which the PS3 can not do.

This thread on AVS Forum should provide some insight.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1095740

Looks good Jeff :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks Bill. The decorating touches are courtesy of my friends wife. I'm a bachelor, so if it wasn't for her, there would be nothing on the wall but maybe the TV and speakers!

Here are a few photos of my living room. TV is a 52" Sharp LCD.

Nice setup but got some questions:

Are those speakers loud enough though and is that an Onkyo receiver?

Is that a Toshiba HD-DVD player in the middle? Also what is that device on top of that player?

Do you have a cable box?

It almost looks like I have the same A/V components as you.

Top left side:

Cable box

Toshiba HD-DVD A35

Bottom left:

PS3 and Wii

Center top:

Onkyo TX-SR705 A/V receiver 100w per channel

Center Bottom:

Panamax 5400-PM Power management/Voltage regulation

Top Right:

Xbox 360 Elite

Bottom Right:

Furman M1500 UPS

1e6950df.jpg

I've got the same Onkyo 705 that you've got. The speakers are Infinity TSS-450, and are rated up to 100 watts per channel. They are loud enough. I don't think my neighbor would appreciate any larger ones! I live in a townhouse, which is basically a duplex, where we each own half and share a wall.

No cable box. The bottom shelf is an XBox360, TivoHD with a Toshiba HD-A3 HD-DVD player beneath it, and a PS3.

And beside the receiver is an external hard drive for the TivoHD.

And a Harmony One remote to run it all. Love the Harmony remotes. A must have for multiple component setups.

What TV is that?

Edited by 08G8V8

I've got the same Onkyo 705 that you've got. The speakers are Infinity TSS-450, and are rated up to 100 watts per channel. They are loud enough. I don't think my neighbor would appreciate any larger ones! I live in a townhouse, which is basically a duplex, where we each own half and share a wall.

No cable box. The bottom shelf is an XBox360, TivoHD with a Toshiba HD-A3 HD-DVD player beneath it, and a PS3.

And beside the receiver is an external hard drive for the TivoHD.

And a Harmony One remote to run it all. Love the Harmony remotes. A must have for multiple component setups.

What TV is that?

It's a Samsung 58in Plasma (PN58A550)

I too have a Harmony One remote! Bought it when it first came out. Took me awhile though to configure everything just the way how I want it to be.

Edited by BMWguy206

001-1.jpg

i have an extremely small room so it was hard to get a pic of all the stuff....i need to move my rear speakers and put them on the stand along with my center channel....too small of a space to get a true "surround" sound effect

note to self:invest in better digital camera soon.....