Customer Service 866.965.0400

What brand Plasma T.V. ?

Natch02

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would advise you to look into the newer LCD screens that are rated @ 120hz. You will see the non 120 models on the cheap right now. The 120 gives you smooth motion for action/sports. I also believe that the LCD's are more energy efficient and have a longer predicted life as rated in hours. Purists will point towards plasma's edge over LCD with black reproduction.....but I can't tell the difference.

Purists will point towards plasma's edge over LCD with black reproduction.....but I can't tell the difference.

While I agree that the 120HZ is WAY better, Plasma is a better picture. Want to see the difference? Turn out the lights. LCD by design has a light behind the screen that lights the colors (think stained glass), while plasma is a gas that lights by different "shots" of voltage.

In short, bright room? LCD. Dark room? Plasma.

BTW, I have the Panasonic TH50PX and LOVE it! Those who own the flat screens will tell you that you should get the largest screen that you can afford. Everything else is secondary. No matter how big the TV is, you'll wish you got one size larger:thumbsup:

What is your budget? I have a 58in Samsung PN58A550 and got it from Amazon.com.

My living room is bright during the day and don't experience any reflective issues off the screen. It is however tilted down 7 degrees. Most plasma's now have good anti-glare coating on the screens. In my opinion plasma's offer the best picture but at the small risk image retention. Burn-in is normal but can be prevented and most HDTVs have anti burn-in features. Just remember that burn-in can be removed. Image retention is permanent. A good quality LCD can't get burn-in or IR.

I recommend looking at the 50in Samsung or Panasonic plasmas. Go to Circuit City or Best Buy first to inspect them in person. However, these stores like to put the displays on "torch" settings where it's really bright.

If you want the cream of the crop with the best blacks then there's Pioneer but a lot more expensive.

Here's a pictures of my home theater setup:

2d1a225e.jpg

Here are some HD shots and again this is from a Plasma. The HDTV is not crooked.. it's the camera.

IMG_6679.jpg

IMG_6681.jpg

IMG_6713.jpg

IMG_6693.jpg

IMG_6760.jpg

IMG_6758.jpg

IMG_6741.jpg

IMG_6746.jpg

IMG_6738.jpg

5a0d3329.jpg

5a5dd2a0.jpg

40d5f237.jpg

7e94d103.jpg

Edited by BMWguy206

I got a 42" Panasonic 2 years ago for Christmas. It doesn't get used much, we end up watching the kids TV in the family room. It's great for movie night or something special. But if I knew then how much it would be used, I wouldn't have got it.

[quote name=Krzdimond;14603

In short' date=' bright room? LCD. Dark room? Plasma.

[/quote]

I disagree with that. I have mine in a super bright room.........sunlight all day long, and have no problem with the picture at all. Super pic day and night. It's a plasma. :2thumbs:

I disagree with that. I have mine in a super bright room.........sunlight all day long, and have no problem with the picture at all. Super pic day and night. It's a plasma. :2thumbs:

Sorry, I meant because of black level. LCD will show the grey instead of black in a dark room. Gets annoying REAL quick:mad: (have a 32" LCD in the bedroom)

I spent a lot of time looking at both the LCD and Plazma TV's and ended up with the 50" Panasonic plazma. Just bought my daughter a Samsung LCD for Christmas and looking again at both I prefer the plazma.

I also did a lot of reading research on the AVScience forums about different tv's, amps, speakers, dvd players etc.

http://www.avscience.com/

http://www.avsforum.com/

Nice setup BMWguy

This thread is going to be worse than "wax by hand or by PC" :lolsmack:

My best advice is go to the store,and this is just my opinion, look at them and just buy the one that looks best to your eye :glasses::glasses::glasses:

I just got the Sony Bravia XBR 52 ". I paid $2299 with a BluRay player.

The sale just ended at CC, it's $3900 for the package now ;)

I'm not sure I'd pay that price for it but it is really nice :2thumbs:

Sony Bravia or Samsung are the only two brands I'd consider for flat-screens. I've got a 32" XBR in my bedroom and a 46" samsung in the living room, both are 1080p and both are spectacular. Compared side by side with other brands it was a no brainer which screens produced sharper pictures and more vibrant colors.

If you can, get your TV from Costco/Sam's Club. Costco has a 90-day return policy (compared to other stores' 30-day) and they extend the manufacturers warranty to two years instead of the standard one year.

Edited by GerryC

Doesn't Samsung make most of the screens for these flat screens?

Who REALLY makes your HDTV?

http://www.hdtv.ca/plasma_lcd_projector/whomakesplasma.php

taken from the site:

NEC - Nec is a OEM manufacturer, The company's plan is to supply industrial unit under the NEC name and supply home units thru rebadges such as Marantz and RCA

Panasonic - Makes the complete units, Supplies Toshiba, JVC, Fujitsu and more

Pioneer - Makes all of there own equipment and sells OEM to Sharp Note: The 5030 and 4030 HD multtimedia box is made by Sharp

Fujitsu - Only makes their own 42 inch in partnership with Hitachi . 50 and 61 inch Fujitsu Plasmas are Panasonic and NEC but the 42 inch are their own. Note Hitachi plasma screens are identical to Fujitsu and cost thousands less

Sony - Makes their own boards and chips but uses Fujitsu/ Hitachi plasma screen glass.

Hitachi - Owns 50% of plasma screen factory with Fujitsu. Makes own internal components.

Philips - Uses Fujitsu/ Hitachi glass screen and most internal components as well. However, Philips makes its own bezel with built in speakers.

LG / Zenith - Make their own glass in Korea

Samsung - Makes its own components in Korea

I have a 42 inch Samsumg Plasma and the picture is bright and sharp in any light. I'd buy another Samsung in a heartbeat.

Also be aware that when comparing contrast ratios that you should really only use those specs to compare models from the same brand... the manufacturers uses different methods to determine the ratios, so 1000:1 from brand X may be just as good (or better) than 2000:1 from brand Y.

Also be aware that when comparing contrast ratios that you should really only use those specs to compare models from the same brand... the manufacturers uses different methods to determine the ratios, so 1000:1 from brand X may be just as good (or better) than 2000:1 from brand Y.
Also some manufacturers advertise much higher contrast ratios and in tiny print note that it's a dynamic ratio, not constant.

Samsung or Sony Bravia are the only two brands my choices came down to.

After doing research on plasma break in schedules and maintenance when brand new, we decided upon lcd and haven't regretted the choice once.

I pulled the trigger on a 46" Samsung 120hz. The 42" Sony Bravia xbr was a close alternative, but couldn't pass up the deal on the Samsung. A year ago, I picked the tv up at CC with playstation ps3 for blu-ray for 1900 out the door. That was the only factor why I chose the Samsung over the Sony.

According to most manufacturers and on newer plasmas, the break-in period isn't necessary. However I did it on my plasma just to be on the safe side. I do admit that there is some extra care in taking care of a plasma vs. LCD.

Looking to buy a new plasma tv. 48 or 52" Just curious as to what everybody has and their likes or dislikes about it. Thanks in advance for any info.;)

ELITE all day long! NQA!

You get what you pay for.

<FONT color=black>I have in the bedroom a Samsung LNT-4061FX<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comP><P><SPAN style=In the living room a Sony KDF-E60A20<o:p></o:p>

In the man cave, a Panasonic TH_50PZ700U<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

My favortie is the Sony. Although it's a projection TV, the color and picture are nothing short of remarkable.<o:p></o:p>

The Panny rivals the Sony, probably a bit better picture but because it's a Plasma, it's power hungry. Consumes 500 watts and puts off a lot of heat in a small room.<o:p></o:p>

The Sammy in the bedroom has a good picture and it's a LCD. My least favorite of all but still a good picture!<o:p></o:p>

Go wth the bggest you can afford!

</SPAN>

Edited by jub jub

ended up with the 50" Panasonic plazma.

I got the same TV for my Birthday a few weeks ago and then I went out and purchased the Panasonic 1200 watt surround sound that hooks right to it. It has a 5 disk cd/dvd, ipod hook up plus much much more.

:D:D I am very happy with my purchase.

Here are a few pics of mine!!! The picture is stunning in my opinion. Samsung +1.

/thread.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Cheers ya'll!!! Good luck on getting a good deal out there. Check out http://www.slickdeals.net. tons of great deals out there on plasma and lcd's. Thats where I got such a steal on mine! :cheers::cheers:

ps... Please excuse the mess in my home. We are just finishing up putting christmas stuff away and the wiring on my home theater needs to be finished up once I get placement and etc situated on speakers and equipment. :2thumbs::cheers::cheers: