Customer Service 866.965.0400

Office Carpet/Desk Question

Kingsford

I just got a new HUGE office at work. I want to do a few things to it but am unsure of a few odds and ends.

1. I want to put carpet down in a 9x9 area. How do I go about getting the edge binding on the carpet if I buy it from Menards or Lowes? Also how much money do you think I'm looking at?

2. I want to make an L/C shape desk. What is a good (cheaper) wood to use? My longest length is 9' so I am going to buy them in 12' pieces. I looked at Pine at Lowes and it was $31 a board and at that rate I will easily spend over $130 just on wood.

I will be sure to post pics when I am done!

I looked at Pine at Lowes and it was $31 a board and at that rate I will easily spend over $130 just on wood.

I will be sure to post pics when I am done!

I don't think your going to get cheaper than pine, unless you get a crappy grade and machine it yourself.

Here is a link to a desk my brother & I built. It's MDF with a laminate top. I think it would exceed your budget to do this. My brother is a handyman so he had all the stuff necessary to do it and make it look like I bought it at a big box store.

.http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/lounge/10138.htm

We had the edge of our carpets put on by someone at a carpet place.

As for building a desk, theres many ways you can go about this....

cheapest would be particle board with a cheap laminate. If you want to go a step higher, you can get particle board with w wood veneer (oak, birch, maple...whatever you want.) I used to be in the cabinet making business when I was a apprentice it stains and finishes beautifully.

Contact your local lumber place and see if they can get it.

Just a fancy name for pine planks I guess. Reminds me of when I went on a cruise and there was a fancy name for some dish. I asked what it was.....pea green soup. :willy:

Would this be good enough for what I want to do?

It depends on the look you are after and how much money you want to put into your desk.

You could check local carpet places to see if they have any 9' x 9' left over from projects and see how much you could buy it from them and have the same place bind the edge for you. Last time my parents put down carpet we had the same place bind the left over pieces and they basically charged us materials to do them.

When we had it done it was not expensive but they were installing new carpet anyway so that could have helped with the price.

I was thinking this afternoon about your pine desk. You may want to put couple coats of polyurethane on your pine desk.

On my red oak desk I have also installed glass on top to help protect it.

Edited by DieselDude