Customer Service 866.965.0400

Adams selection for 66 GTO and 59 Bel Air advice

Newless

Question

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here. I've been doing alot of reading and have been itching to buy Adam's products for over a year now.

I made a purchased this year of a PC 7424xp.

Adams swirl and haze,

Machine polish

Super wax, which I think now is called Super Sealant?? Same stuff???

Brillant Glaze.

Also just now I purchased a sample of the Americano wax and applicator.

I'm a long time hand polisher but this is my first machine polish.

I just did my DD a 2012 Focus and I'm very happy but not blown away, it's a white car.

These two cars are next.

1966 Pontiac GTO

IMG_1866.jpg

1959 Chevy Bel AirIMG_1869.jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

IMG_0613.jpg

Both have been bought at auction and repainted in their restoration but I don't have paperwork on just how old the paint jobs are. Clear coat?

Out of the products I have what is the order I want to apply in?

Treat me like a newbie and know that the paint looks great as is.

Garage kept and they don't see much road time.

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

First off on your daily driver, you said you are not blown away with the results. Did you watch the videos on the Adams site on how to do a machine polish and wax? Did you clay the car prior to the detail? If not that is one thing that you should have done. Also on a daily driver that has not had true paint correction done before will take some time to get it perfect. After it is washed and clayed you need to go around the entire car with a bright light to look for swirls and small scratches so you know what needs to be done. Once you start, work a small area, such as maybe no more the 1/4 t0 1/2 the hood. Work that area until it has removed all the swirl, haze and any scratches. A first time detail takes time to get it right. One final thing, white paint will never have that pop and deep wet look that you can get with a dark color.

Now for the two other cars. If you know they were recently painted, but not sure how long ago, I might hold off on any polishing or waxing. Once you are ready to do a detailing on them, again do the baggy test to see if the paint needs to be clayed. Even though they are repaints, there is most likely some over spray that will need to be removed. Again before you do anything like this make sure the paint has at least 6-9 months on ti since it was painted.

As for the products the Sealent is fine to use, but not really needed on the weekend warriors. After the cars are washed, clayed (if needed) you should do the Swirl & Haze Remover (again if needed). Next polished the paint, now you can either apply the sealant, or as I do I apply a coat of the Brilliant Glaze followed by a coat of the Americana. The Americana is designed for those cars that do not see the daily elements.

First off on your daily driver, you said you are not blown away with the results. Did you watch the videos on the Adams site on how to do a machine polish and wax? Did you clay the car prior to the detail? If not that is one thing that you should have done. Also on a daily driver that has not had true paint correction done before will take some time to get it perfect. After it is washed and clayed you need to go around the entire car with a bright light to look for swirls and small scratches so you know what needs to be done. Once you start, work a small area, such as maybe no more the 1/4 t0 1/2 the hood. Work that area until it has removed all the swirl, haze and any scratches. A first time detail takes time to get it right. One final thing, white paint will never have that pop and deep wet look that you can get with a dark color.

Now for the two other cars. If you know they were recently painted, but not sure how long ago, I might hold off on any polishing or waxing. Once you are ready to do a detailing on them, again do the baggy test to see if the paint needs to be clayed. Even though they are repaints, there is most likely some over spray that will need to be removed. Again before you do anything like this make sure the paint has at least 6-9 months on ti since it was painted.

As for the products the Sealent is fine to use, but not really needed on the weekend warriors. After the cars are washed, clayed (if needed) you should do the Swirl & Haze Remover (again if needed). Next polished the paint, now you can either apply the sealant, or as I do I apply a coat of the Brilliant Glaze followed by a coat of the Americana. The Americana is designed for those cars that do not see the daily elements.

Alright, first off I would like to thank you for your response.

The DD was clayed once last year the day it came home, then hand polished with Meguairs products. Now it was clayed and done with Adams products and a PC7427xp. I know now after watching Junkman's vids that I was moving too fast and with too much product.

I'm doing my wife's DD tomorrow, which is a 2009 Ford Edge. We'll see how that turns out.

Both the classics have paint which is more than a year old.

I think I will do, Wash, Clay, Swirl, Machine polish, Glaze, and then Americana.

The BelAir will be first. I'm hoping for the best!

I think I will do, Wash, Clay, Swirl, Machine polish, Glaze, and then Americana.

The BelAir will be first. I'm hoping for the best!

Our motto is 'use the least aggressive produce first'. Do a 2' x 2' test area on the cars starting with FMP, as that may be all you need. If it still has swirls, do another pass with FMP before moving up to SHR. When using SHR, be sure to do a pass with FMP before deciding if you need more SHR.

Archived