Customer Service 866.965.0400

Power Washers...safe?

estecoca

Question

A couple years ago I purchased a power washer thinking it would be a great solution to removing summer bug guts and winter salt from my truck. It works just fine, as far as I can tell, and I have been happy with it. However, I read on another forum that you have to be careful using power washers on vehicles with "soft" clear coat. Im dont know what that's all about and I dont want to screw up anything...

Thoughts?

9 answers to this question

Perfectly safe, use one with a low PSI setting (low enough you can put your hand in front of the nozzle), do NOT sure a "stream" setting (thin, pencil like stream), but more of a blasting nozzle. Keep about two feet from your paint as a precaution, and if you have vinyl of any kind stay away from the edges as it can cause lifting. I use a Husky brand one, and it works great. I have vinyl stripes on my car, and have not had an issue with them, so I believe it is all in being careful and using common sense.

I use the larger one of these, but the smaller one would be safer:

http://huskypowerwasher.com/new_models.php

Being from the "salt" belt I have to go and at least clean off the chunks every so often and when it's 15-25º outside the last thing I can do is use a hose in the driveway and going over to my parents house and doing it in their garage is a PITA. So I go to the spray wash places and hand spray the car down real well. I actually need to do that today. It's 11º

I never use them for bugs though. The best thing I have found for removing stubborn bugs is Seafoam bug remover. Spray it on a dry car let it sit for 30 seconds, respray then wipe with a wet MF towel or wash mitt. BAM bugs gone!

It's amazing stuff. Just make sure you wax when done. I'm sure it's removes it.

Chris

Common sense will usually dictate success. Power washers are fine if kept at a safe distance or simply use a low presser nozzle. They can be a real time saver when removing tough stuck on debris.

Anyone ever take their car through a car wash?

Car Wash + Power washer!!

While I see your point, I don't agree that auto car wash = power washer. Here's why. I dont use car washes b/c I am afraid they recycle their water (I know many who do). Obviously this is good for the environment, bad for my finish. So, I thought a power washer would be a good way to blast bugs and salt off my truck without risking blasting it with dirty water. However, some have expressed concern for using a power washer on a soft clear coat. In the end, think a power washer and a little common sense will work just fine